Old February 3rd 05, 01:37 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Double conversion, triple conversion, quadruple conversion, sets that
sell for $50.00, sets that sell for 10,000.00! Antennas 3 inches long,
100 feet long, 3 inches high, or 3 miles high! For a beginner, none of
it really matters. What DOES matter? EXPERIENCE. That is all.

There is no substitute for time and experience and there is no
"short-cut," either. And that applies to ANYTHING worth doing!

If a beginner is truly interested in the hobby, he or she should just
do a little research, perhaps on this group, or, better, in PASSPORT
and WRTH, and make a reasonable choice in radios and antennas. It isn't
too hard. Most of them out there are pretty good. I, as does everyone
else here, have my opinions, but, in the end, for a beginner, it just
doesn't matter, within reason.

Then, as he/she becomes EXPERIENCED with the radio they have,
REGARDLESS of what it is, and with short wave listening in general, why
any future equipment "upgrades" will take care of themselves.
Just my thoughts.

Best,

Joe

Old February 3rd 05, 04:08 AM
BDK

In article , says...

Brian Hill wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

mike0219116 wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?

A very, very quick check reveals that the NRD-545 is triple conversion.

You might wish to review the current offerings at:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/index2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

--
mike0219116

Have you tried the 545 Steve? My buddy has one. It's a neat rig. I'm just
not sure about the price tag?

I had a 515 briefly, but I was never a fan of Japan Radio. I didn't like the
audio.

YMMV

dxAce
Michigan
USA

My 515 is the one receiver I've had that I will never sell. The rest
could go without too much discomfort on my part. Yeah, the audio isn't
great, but for utilities, who cares? Besides, with the right speaker
(definitely not the one that matches it!) or the JRC headphones, it's
not bad at all.

The last Drake radio I have ever wanted is the R7a, not much of an
R8/A/B fan at all.

BDK
Old February 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
BDK

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Yeah, but my feelings are that buying an elcheapo portable, or even a
fairly decent one, is a mistake. They don't work very well, don't hold
up all that great for the most part, and lose their value pretty
rapidly.

There are tons of arrox. $300 used R71A's, Kenwood R5000's and others
that are good enough to keep for a while, and can be sold for basically
what you pay for them anytime. I have a R71A that I bought for a really
cheap price. It had a problem in the PS section that seemed to confound
several techs at a couple of places that tried to fix it. It was a very
easy fix (an hour total time) and I will get 2-3 times what I paid when
I sell it one of these days..if I do sell it..

A friend wanted to try SW a while back, and he bought a very nice NRD-
525 off Ebay for about 400 bucks. After a year or so, he wanted out, and
made 20 bucks profit when he put it on Ebay. Get paid to listen, not a
bad deal..

BDK
Old February 4th 05, 03:47 AM
Eric F. Richards

BDK wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I tried to tell that to Judah. He must have spent somewhere
between $500 and $1000 on cheap doorstop-radios. Think what perusal
of a hamfest or two would have done with well-spent $200. Not to
mention to the wealth of knowledge he'd pick up there.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old February 4th 05, 09:06 AM

The last Drake radio I have ever wanted is the R7a, not much of an
R8/A/B fan at all.

Dunno...I think the best drake rcvr of all is probably the drake
R-4245. They also made a TR-4310 transceiver. They were mainly for
commercial, and ships. But I don't see em around much. I think the
4245 was $5-6k when it was sold back in the 80's, but not sure
offhand...been awhile...
I've never tried an R7 or TR7...Nor the R8.
I have a 2C/2CQ, and a R4.
My R4 is one of the first built in late 65. "#0058".
The later R4B is real good. Maybe the best overall 4 line rcvr in
some ways...I have a T4XB transmitter.
The 4C line is kinda quirky in certain ways...Good I guess,
but a lot different than the previous R4/R4a/R4b's.
The most solid state of the 4 line for sure, and different filters.
Dang...I'm thinking about breaking out my R4 and turning it on...
Haven't used it in a good while, and it's well suited for low band
use, which is whats mainly happening lately. Just hope no new caps
crap out...Every time I fire up those old radios, a different
dried up cap fizzles out...Before long, they will all be changed
out...:/ MK

Old February 4th 05, 09:20 AM
dxAce

The last Drake radio I have ever wanted is the R7a, not much of an
R8/A/B fan at all.

Dunno...I think the best drake rcvr of all is probably the drake
R-4245.

The R-4245 is essentially a R7/A, but with a synthesized VFO which gives better
stability. That's about it.

It's possible to achieve the same effect with an R7/A and the RV75 remote VFO.

Is it worth it? Perhaps, but after warm-up the R7/A is fairly stable anyway.

Is there a difference between the R7 and the R7A? Yes, but only in what was
offered as standard equipment.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 4th 05, 09:35 AM

"It's possible to achieve the same effect with an R7/A and the RV75
remote VFO."
May be why hams didn't buy many...
Kinda like my TS-830...I use the VFO-230 on it to make it rock stable..
The internal VFO in all the hybrid kenwoods have some temp drift. The
VFO-230 makes my 830 think it's got the VFO of a 930... No drift. MK

Old February 4th 05, 05:17 PM
CW

"m II" wrote in message
> [...]
Brian Hill wrote:

Moral is- Buy as much radio as you can
afford but $s don't garentee results, that takes experimenting ,

research
and work to get the weak ones.

Years ago I had a single conversion Radio Shack shortwave all bander. It

was
ok until I put a wire on the antenna terminal. Like magic, I got a lot of
the local am radio stations repeating over the dial.

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Like the DX 300?

Some have said that the more conversion stages you go through, the more
noise you get, but I haven't played around with enough different sets to

be
able to form a valid opinion on that.

As you just stated, you have no idea what you are talking about so why are
you trying to give advice?

mike

Old February 6th 05, 06:07 AM
starman

Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?
--
mike0219116

The Uniden-2021/Radio Shack DX-400 was the only triple conversion
*portable* receiver ever made, AFAIK.