Old February 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Caveat Lector

Default Online site for code training and practice???

In our area -- VE exam tests are sent at 14 to 15 wpm with the spacing
adjusted to 5 wpm overall.
Check with your local VE

I don't think you will find much difference between 10 wpm and 15 wpm
Farnsworth

Or you can download a Morse program and computer practice

For Morse programs -- See URL:
http://ac6v.com/morseprograms.htm

And yes the AA9PW is superb

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

wrote in message
is there a site online for code learning, training and practice?
I have bookmarked www.aa9pw.com/radio/morse.html
but it has a min Farnsworth of 15wpm. I would like to get it closer to
test
standards as in between 7 and 10. the rest of the site is superb. a
great boon
to all of us who see that Extra in the sky!!

thanks
chas K5DAM

Old February 2nd 05, 08:48 PM
jimbo

The W1AW broadcast is excellent for real, on air morse code. And the
W5YI computer program is a great morse tool.

jimbo

Old February 2nd 05, 11:12 PM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
is there a site online for code learning, training and practice?
I have bookmarked www.aa9pw.com/radio/morse.html
but it has a min Farnsworth of 15wpm. I would like to get it closer to
test
standards as in between 7 and 10. the rest of the site is superb. a
great boon
to all of us who see that Extra in the sky!!

thanks
chas K5DAM

The VECs have pretty much settled on the following standard for code
testing:

Character speed: 15wpm
Word speed: 5wpm
Tone: 750 Hz

So the 15wpm minimum Farnsworth that you are finding is what you need.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
Jim - NN7K

but it has a min Farnsworth of 15wpm. I would like to get it closer to
test
standards as in between 7 and 10. the rest of the site is superb. a
great boon
to all of us who see that Extra in the sky!!

thanks
chas K5DAM

The VECs have pretty much settled on the following standard for code
testing:

Character speed: 15wpm
Word speed: 5wpm
Tone: 750 Hz

Translation: 13 WPM, SPACED FOR 5 WPM

So the 15wpm minimum Farnsworth that you are finding is what you need.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee is correct-- and, consider this-- the characters are sent at a
higher speed (13 wpm), then required (5 WPM) , which allows you
EXTRA (no pun intended!) time to think of what that character was!
And, as I remember (am a VEC) this is the format the test is sent in!
Consider that 1) If you memorize the code (mental lookup chart), you can
do 5-7 WPM with ease, and 2) That which you hate (I was there as a Tech,
25 years ago), becomes a interesting new language (and can be
frustrating, I know , have guys worked with copied over 20 WPM,
includeing an old WWII MARINE, hadn't used it in 25 years, then--
copied 25 WPM while I pulling out my hair listening to it!
But now, kinda enjoy "reading the mail"-- Just takeing notes on
what is being sent. When you are REALLY there, you will KNOW it!
you will start hearing sylibals, then whole common words-- when
you get the real hang of it, its like listening to a conversation!
Main thing- DONT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! Give it a go, and good luck!
Jim NN7K
Old February 3rd 05, 01:12 AM

"The W1AW broadcast is excellent for real, on air morse code.=AD"

Agreed. That's what I listened to. Here's the link.
http://www.arrl.org/w1aw.html

Old February 16th 05, 01:02 AM
ZZZPK

"Caveat Lector" wrote:

: In our area -- VE exam tests are sent at 14 to 15 wpm with the spacing
: adjusted to 5 wpm overall.

so its not 5wpm then ?

Old February 16th 05, 01:54 AM
Caveat Lector

It is an effective 5 WPM rate

The characters are sent fast 12 to 15 WPM
Spacing between is very long so it evens out at 5 WPM

This is to allow the student to focus on the overall sound of the character,
while still not overwhelming him or her with lots of text that has to be
buffered in the mind.

At 5 WPM folks tend to count the dits and dahs and not get it by sound -- so
the testing entities sed ---- Farnsworth

More info at URL:

http://www.zerobeat.net/tasrt/c31.htm

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

"ZZZPK" .es.it.net wrote
in message ...

Old February 16th 05, 01:59 AM
Ralph Mowery

"ZZZPK" .es.it.net wrote
in message ...
"Caveat Lector" wrote:

: In our area -- VE exam tests are sent at 14 to 15 wpm with the spacing
: adjusted to 5 wpm overall.

so its not 5wpm then ?

There are two ways to define the 5 WPM. One is slow dots and dashes at the
rate of 5 wpm. The other way is to send each character at a higher speed
but spaced out. The same number of characters are sent in one minuit. Then
you have to count the numbers and punctuation as 2 characters each but lets
not get into that. I was thinking the standard way was the 13 to 15 wpm
sending with long 5 wpm spacing.

When I took the 13 wpm code test the VE asked about perferance as to
character speed. No one spoke up so I asked for 18 or 20 wpm characters
(don't remember exectally which). Made it easy for me as that was the way
I had been doing most of the work as 20 wpm for the Extra was my goal.

Old February 16th 05, 08:19 PM
ZZZPK

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

:
: "ZZZPK" .es.it.net wrote
: in message ...
: "Caveat Lector" wrote:
:
: : In our area -- VE exam tests are sent at 14 to 15 wpm with the spacing
: : adjusted to 5 wpm overall.
:
: so its not 5wpm then ?
:
:
: There are two ways to define the 5 WPM. One is slow dots and dashes at the
: rate of 5 wpm. The other way is to send each character at a higher speed
: but spaced out. The same number of characters are sent in one minuit. Then
: you have to count the numbers and punctuation as 2 characters each but lets
: not get into that. I was thinking the standard way was the 13 to 15 wpm
: sending with long 5 wpm spacing.

you forget that the spacing between the dits+dahs are also governed by the
same speed/rhythm.

therefore...sending faster sounds requires faster silence-gaps...therefore
everything at 12wpm which is not 5wpm.

to be 5wpm, the sounds and the gaps must be at the same speed or it aint
5wpm.
by all means learn morse with faster characters with longer gaps...but
only so that the training allows the gaps to be shortened.

true morse has all elements sent at the same rhythm (even the silent bits)

Old February 16th 05, 09:39 PM
Caveat Lector

To be more precise on "true Morse Sending";

Each dit is one element, each dah is three elements, intra-character spacing
is one element, inter-character spacing is three elements and inter-word
spacing is seven elements. The word PARIS is exactly 50 elements.

Thus lets look at just 2 characters of Paris sent;

Note that after each dit/dah of the letter P -- one element spacing is used
except the last one. (Intra-Character).
After the last dit of P is sent, 3 elements are added (Inter-Character).
Thus:
di da da di
1 1 3 1 3 1 1 (3) = 14 elements
di da
1 1 3 (3) = 8 elements
ETC until the last letter S is sent then After the word PARIS - 7 elements
are used.

Going thru the rest of the word Paris

If you send PARIS 5 times in a minute (5WPM) you have sent 250 elements
(using correct spacing). 250 elements into 60 seconds per minute = 240
milliseconds per element.

13 words-per-minute is one element every 92.31 milliseconds.

The Farnsworth method sends the dits and dahs and intra-character spacing at
a higher speed, then increasing the inter-character and inter-word spacing
to slow the sending speed down to the overall speed. For example, to send at
5 wpm with 13 wpm characters in Farnsworth method, the dits and
intra-character spacing would be 92.3 milliseconds, the dah would be 276.9
milliseconds, the inter-character spacing would be 1.443 seconds and
inter-word spacing would be 3.367 seconds.

That help ???

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams