Old February 17th 05, 01:42 AM
Honus

"ZZZPK" .es.it.net wrote
in message ...

I see in your headers that you've written "spammers + 419's will have their
emails addrs published here" followed by some email addresses. While I think
it's a lovely idea, I feel compelled to ask...are you sure these are
legitimate addresses? That is, the addresses of the spammers themselves? My
e-mail address has been hijacked -twice- by spammers. Imagine logging on one
morning to find dozens of e-mails in your inbox that say "Invalid address",
"Undeliverable" etc., as you sit there and wonder how many actually went
through...and how many people are going to send you back some -really- nasty
letters. gbg Personally, as far as spammers go I'd like to see someone
pound a hook through their scrotum (if they're so equipped) and then drag
them through the town square for our amusement. But I suppose I should keep
my fantasies to myself.

Old February 18th 05, 04:59 PM

I have frineds who work in the IT universe
who hold the individual from who the
spam comes from responsable.
Their viewpoint, rather hars but with
some logic, is that it is each users
responsability to keep their PC
patched and up to date, and to
be aware neough to prevent such
"hijackings".
I don't know if their viewpoint is
reasoable, but I do know that the
place I work hold each person
completley responsable for
their work computr. Several people
have lost their network connection
as a direct result of having their PC
hacked. Makes me damn carefull about
where I visist and what Emails I open.
And we have a interprise wide ban on
IE and Outlook. And inspite of what Microsoft
says, both can be removed from 98SE, ME,
w000, and EX pro. The techs bring up "your"
work computer, aplly patches to remove
IE/Outlook and hand it over to to the end user.
Tough but we don't have many viri floating around
our intranet. And they fired some clown who
thought he was too cool for the rules when he
installed a peer to peer client on his work PC.
Took them less then 20 minutes to nail him,
another 20 to walk him trough the exit paper
work and an addional 90 seconds to walk him
to his car. And we don't let anyone else use or
work PCs. Kind of strict, but we have very few
problems.
If you don't donwload crap from the net, avoid
bait sites, don't use ie or outlook, don't open
"stange" email, you as a rule, don't get hacked.
Terry

Old February 18th 05, 05:14 PM
Guy P. Distaffen

Apparently, you aren't too familiar with how spammers "hijack" e-mail
addresses.
When they "hijack" an e-mail address, it is just the address that they
use and put as the sender and reply-to. They don't actually use your
computer. If they were to be using your computer, then it would show up in
the IP addresses that are in the message source. I have a couple of Yahoo
accounts that happens to all the time. I receive a message stating that an
e-mail was undeliverable, but obviously wasn't sent by me or from my actual
account. When you look at the message source of the e-mail, it is often
times originating in Korea or China. That is why a lot of spam blocking
software, automatically block everything from those two countries.

Guy P. Distaffen

KB0SWS

oups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 01:46 AM
Honus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have frineds who work in the IT universe
who hold the individual from who the
spam comes from responsable.

If this is directed at me, you've misunderstood me. I should have been more
clear, and I'll take the blame for the misunderstanding. My machine wasn't
compromised in any way. Someone merely used my e-mail address for their
entry in the "from" field. Nothing came from my machine; the headers were
spoofed.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:55 AM

I never use my computer I bought last year from www.velocitymicro.com
(ProMagix tower computer) for emailing or visiting websites I do not
absolutely trust.(I can use my stupid webtv box and check out websites
to detrmine if they have a virus before I access them with my computer)
There is a guy in one of the webtv alt.discuss.computers news group who
said I don't know a damn thing about computers (I do not know much about
useing my computer,,,, yet,I am learning) and he said my computer isn't
even connected to the internet. www.twcjam.com (anybody wants
proof,come see for yourselfs) How would he know? Does he have Superman's
X-Ray eyes and telescopic vision? I also have Norton System Works 2005
with GoBack and my computer has Windows XP Home Edition.
cuhulin