Old February 3rd 05, 03:03 PM
Mark S. Holden

Default Recommendations for DSP Unit??

Lucky wrote:

Hi guys

I want to pick up a DSP unit for some of my radios. I picked up a Lowe 150
and want to get DSP for it.

I've been looking at some used models like the
JPS NIR-10 and JPS NF-60 DSP Notch Filter.

Have any of you used one of these or can make a recommendation?
I will be using it SSB as well as AM.

Thanks
Lucky

I don't use DSP's often but I've tried a Timewave 59, a JPS NIR-10 and still
have a W9GR DSP-3.

Of the three, the W9GR seemed to be the most useful. It was designed to work
with SSB. Unfortunately, they're out of production because of parts
availability, and W9GR is too busy to develop a replacement.

http://www.w9gr.com/

A friend has one we think was used by a government agency and it's the best I've
heard. He's got an automated search to try to find another one, but he's been
looking for about 3 years. I forget the brand, but it's obscure.
Old February 3rd 05, 03:19 PM

I thought about getting a DSP unit as well. I haven't done it because
I've gotten conflicting reports about their effectiveness and they're
not cheap. Several people have also told me that none of these units
are yet able to equal the noise reduction capabilities of some of the
better, older analog audio filters, like the Datong models from the
1980s. Though I haven't received it yet, I did manage to get an
inexpensive Datong FL1, in good condition, off of ebay. We'll see how
it performs. It didn't cost too much, so I figure I can only be
pleasantly surprised.....

I've considered and to some extent am still considering a Clear Speech
speaker. However, no one has been able to tell me much about what the
speaker itself sounds like. It might be great at noise reduction, but
if its relatively quiet audio is of generally poor quality...well, that
wouldn't be good. What would it be like to listen to Radio Prague on
the Clear Speech?

Steve

Old February 3rd 05, 03:23 PM

Oh, and congratulations on the 150! I hope you'll let us know what you
think of it. I find it a lot of fun to use....largely because of the
excellent tuning knob.

Steve

Old February 3rd 05, 03:58 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But you can hook up extra speakers to it so you don't have to use the main
speaker all the time. I wonder if you can turn off the main speaker if
you're not using it?

Yes I'm excited. I'm still waiting on the 150 to get here! He said he sent
it out on Tues morning. I might get this week if he sent it out 2-3 Priority
mail like it said on the ad. I asked him to double box it. It came with the
keypad too. Good seller also.

Lucky

Old February 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

[...]

Mark,

was there more then one model of the W9GR or just one?

So the NIR-10 was not too good on SSB?

Lucky

Old February 3rd 05, 04:16 PM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:

[...]

I see there were 3 models

Old February 3rd 05, 05:55 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, and congratulations on the 150! I hope you'll let us know what you
think of it. I find it a lot of fun to use....largely because of the
excellent tuning knob.

Steve

I got it I got it! He did send it 2-3 day. Wow.
That was fast. Gotta go

Lucky

Old February 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
Caveat Lector

Maybe borrow and sample a "Clear Speech Unit".
Now made by Heil

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

nk.net...

Old February 3rd 05, 09:16 PM
Mark S. Holden

Jim Hackett wrote:

I have a NIR-10. It works fairly well but keep the manual handy as it's not
very intuitive!

As I recall, the NIR-10 took a lot more fiddling than the W9GR-3.