Old February 4th 05, 10:32 PM
mongo

heck, you had the best rock and roll station right beside you. cfl came
in around 9-9:30 at night here. i have to check and see if mom has those
radios packed up somewhere. all had the leather case. i have a letter
from wcfl they sent me about the song "american pie" bob dearborn wrote.
man i feel old. also had a zenith shortwave that had about 20 tubes that
lit my room up at night. tall as i was.
Old February 4th 05, 11:12 PM

I don't care what they say.There are NO transistor radios than can match
those old tube radios.Espicially those old wooden cabinet floor model
radios,and the sound quality.Bose,y'all haven't learned **** yet!!!
cuhulin

Old February 5th 05, 04:50 AM
ShortwaveMan

The earth's magnetic field is weakening, and whatever affects the magnetic
field has a bearing on the condition of the ionosphere. I think the FCC may
have changed the power output some stations can use, and the radiation
patterns they may use.

~~~~~ God gives peace not war +
"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
WFAN 660 NYC has been like a local at 5:30am in Central Ohio the
past few days, and today is barely audible over Cubans and probably
a Pittsburgh station (no station ID), which don't seem to be any
stronger than usual. It's just that WFAN is really weak.

But looking at all the propagation conditions I can find, ie.
mag storms (none, in fact unusually quiet) and Xrays (none, quiet),
nothing changed from eg. yesterday to today.

So what indicator is there that I'm not seeing?

--
Ron Hardin

Old February 5th 05, 02:03 PM
Greg

From: mongo
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:40:44 -0500
Subject: MW conditions, what changed?

hi all. i guess while you are on the subject of mw. i used to pick up
wcfl in chicago on one of those little pocket radios every night when i
was growing up here (also in central ohio). what year did wcfl quit
operations? i went thru a bunch of 9volt batteries come to think of it.

Boy does this thread bring back memories. I was in high school in Bangor,
Maine, ca. 1960, when I got a shirt-pocket Silvertone 6 transistor radio
from Sears for Christmas. My favorite stations for rock music were WKBW,
Buffalo, WPTR, Albany I think, WABC, New York, and, of course, WMEX (?),
Boston, with "Arnie Ginsberg and the Night Train Show". It was a couple
years later that we moved to Florida and I traveled to New Orleans to march
in the Mardi Gras parade with my high school band. I was half asleep one
night when I was startled by a weird howling noise coming over my radio
through the little earplug. Some strange dude named Wolfman Jack!

Old February 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Rob Mills

Some strange dude named Wolfman Jack!

Del Rio Texas, they bled over on everything on the bottom end of the AM
dial. RM~

Old February 6th 05, 01:40 AM
Mike

tianli wrote:

But looking at all the propagation conditions I can find, ie.
mag storms (none, in fact unusually quiet) and Xrays (none, quiet),
nothing changed from eg. yesterday to today.

So what indicator is there that I'm not seeing?

It is all quite elementary really :-P

MW/BCB Propagation Primer
http://66.175.38.157/kn4lf8.htm

Propagation Outlook:

...the low bands of 160, 120, 90 and 80 meters saw the best

propagation
conditions since September 2004. Why? Because all of the general

guide lines
as spelled out by me further down in this outlook were met.

http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf6.htm

Propagation conditions Mike Terry Shortwave 2 October 18th 04 02:49 AM
Super MW Conditions This Morning John Plimmer Shortwave 0 October 12th 04 03:52 AM
DX Conditions Dr.X CB 8 September 8th 04 12:46 AM
Incredible conditions to South Asia Dan Robinson Shortwave 4 September 7th 04 05:51 AM
Poor HF Propagation Conditions Thomas Giella KN4LF Shortwave 0 November 15th 03 04:24 PM