Old February 5th 05, 05:12 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default R-274D/URR ?

I just got this unit at the ABQ swap and started looking for a a manual with
Google and found that unit is differnt from the ones I've found pictured.
It has 3 Collins mechanical filters. At the top upper left it has a Squelch
control and next to it is a Noise Silencer control. The mode swtich is
labeled AM and SSB/CW. The lettering looks factory done. The filters have
been added on a sub chassis and I'm not sure it is a factory mod or homebrew
but it has been nicely done. The S meter was made by Texas Instruments. It
has some problems including lots of nosie, hetrodynes, etc.. I've only seen
one of these in the past and can recall which version it was, they must be
scarce? Anyone have any info?

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old February 5th 05, 05:40 PM
Brian Hill

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It says URR?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 5th 05, 05:41 PM
David

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/r274d.htm

Old February 5th 05, 05:45 PM
dxAce

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

I just got this unit at the ABQ swap and started looking for a a manual with
Google and found that unit is differnt from the ones I've found pictured.
It has 3 Collins mechanical filters. At the top upper left it has a Squelch
control and next to it is a Noise Silencer control. The mode swtich is
labeled AM and SSB/CW. The lettering looks factory done. The filters have
been added on a sub chassis and I'm not sure it is a factory mod or homebrew
but it has been nicely done. The S meter was made by Texas Instruments. It
has some problems including lots of nosie, hetrodynes, etc.. I've only seen
one of these in the past and can recall which version it was, they must be
scarce? Anyone have any info?

Appears to be the Mil version of the SX-73 at any rate, also similar to the
SP600. Seems to be Hallicrafters?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 5th 05, 05:52 PM

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
[...]

Hank,

The Hallicrafters didn't come with mechanical filters. The R-274 series
actually had receivers built by both Hallicrafters and Hammarlund. The
Hallicrafters were designated R-274/URR, R-274D/URR and SX-73. The
Hammarlund SP-600's that had the R-274 designation were listed as
R-274A/URR, R-274B/URR and R-274C/URR. The full list can be seen at:
http://www.hammarlund.info/sp600.html

How about a photo of what you got?

Les

Old February 5th 05, 06:00 PM
Brian Hill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
[...]

I thought those were all designated FRR?

B.H.

Old February 5th 05, 06:06 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Sorry, it says FRR, not URR!
Lack of thinking, sorry.
I'll put pix up at: alt.binaries.picutres.radio

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old February 5th 05, 06:25 PM

Brian Hill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
[...]

They are, I goofed and continued on with Hank's URR.

FRR Fixed Radio Receiver

Les

Old February 5th 05, 06:26 PM
Brian Hill

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
. com...
Sorry, it says FRR, not URR!
Lack of thinking, sorry.
I'll put pix up at: alt.binaries.picutres.radio

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Ok. Yea that would have been a rare one allright. It's either a SP-600 or a
SX-73. The collins R-390, 388s etc used the URR designation and other radios
but I've never heard of a R-274 under that. I'm just going on memory so I
could be wrong.