Old February 18th 05, 10:49 PM
Chris Hill

Default Kenwood r5000?

In my search for a communications receiver with voice I've ran
across a used one of these. Would anyone like to comment on what I'd
be losing over something more expensive/newer? The new Ten Tec r320d
is still cheaper, but I haven't heard much about it.

Thanks.

Old February 19th 05, 12:33 AM
Brian Hill

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
In my search for a communications receiver with voice I've ran
across a used one of these. Would anyone like to comment on what I'd
be losing over something more expensive/newer? The new Ten Tec r320d
is still cheaper, but I haven't heard much about it.

Thanks.

A lot of old Dxers use R-5000s including me. You won't be disapointed. Some
have complained about key bounce on the newmeric pads but I've never seen it
in the three I've owned. The one I have now has seen service daily for three
years. There one of the best radios ever made. Theres alot of good radios
out there now days. I like the NRD-525 too with an extension speaker of good
quality and the Icom R-75 is a good bang for the buck. Some R-8s are out
there for around four bills that are great performers. All these radios I've
mentioned are under $500. Good luck.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 19th 05, 03:47 AM
Brian Denley

Chris Hill wrote:
In my search for a communications receiver with voice I've ran
across a used one of these. Would anyone like to comment on what I'd
be losing over something more expensive/newer? The new Ten Tec r320d
is still cheaper, but I haven't heard much about it.

Thanks.

Chris:
The R-5000 is just as sensitive as any of the newer receivers. It has a
very good notch filter and a very good noise blanker. It doesn not have a
sync detector but it is very stable so it does ECSS well. The audio is flat
but clear.

The RX-320D is the best radio out there for the price: very sensitive,
stable but also lack a sycn detector. It does have the 12 Khz IF output so
you can use it for DRM reception. There are many excellent software
programs available. Several are free. The audio is as good as your
computer sound system.

--
Brian Denley

Old February 19th 05, 03:57 AM
Hatfield

Although I use a R-75 now, the KW 5000 I used to have was wonderful.

Glorious audio, stable, sensitive, fewer images and BCB interference
than even the R75.

It also had an excellent working NB, its adjustable too. The notch
filter worked OK but only manual and single. But you could take out
WEAK tones which were barely above the desired program level, something
autonotches apparently can't do.

The standard 6 KHz filter was too wide, but the optional 6KHz filter
(same bandwidth but steeper skirts) was as fine a SW AM filter I ever
heard, or ever will, perfect fidelity.

I also used an 1.8 KHz filter (for crowded HAM SSB bands) and 500 Hz
for CW, RTTY.

Prices aren't bad for the filters because they are at the 9MHz IF,
instead of the lower IF, so they are smaller in size and thus
cheaper...

Somewhere in QST mag back issue was a mod for making a spinner for the
main knob, and that worked very well...

Old February 19th 05, 04:44 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Chris,

Piece of advice based on many, many years of experience:

DON'T BUY USED! Repeat: DON'T BUY USED!

Why is the seller getting rid of the unit? NOT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT!

It is ALWAYS better to buy a relatively inexpensive NEW item rather
than some dude's cast-off finery!

I have no experience with the Ten-Tec RX-320D. However it does get a
very nice review in the new PASSPORT, which I recommend you buy if you
haven't already.

Best,

Joe

Old February 19th 05, 04:54 AM
Brian Hill

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Chris,

Piece of advice based on many, many years of experience:

DON'T BUY USED! Repeat: DON'T BUY USED!

Why is the seller getting rid of the unit? NOT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT!

It is ALWAYS better to buy a relatively inexpensive NEW item rather
than some dude's cast-off finery!

I have no experience with the Ten-Tec RX-320D. However it does get a
very nice review in the new PASSPORT, which I recommend you buy if you
haven't already.

Best,

Joe

You convinced me. Ok everybody, lets throw all the used radios in the trash.

Old February 19th 05, 05:16 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Brian,

There's nothing wrong with someone trying to sell an unwanted radio (or
any other unwanted item). eBay and similar places are excellent for
collectors trying to buy a missing piece of their collection, or for a
person who wants to re-buy a radio he/she had years ago.

But a person looking to buy a primary receiver for daily use should, in
my opinion, ALWAYS buy NEW, even if the new unit is of a somewhat
lesser "caliber" than a used unit. A reputable dealer will offer a US
warranty and will show interest in your satisfaction with your
purchase.

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts far longer than the sweetness of
low price."

Best,

Joe

P.S. Why WOULD you sell a perfectly good radio? I have never sold ANY
of mine. I wouldn't even CONSIDER selling a poorly-performing or broken
unit. I have, indeed, thrown them out!

Old February 19th 05, 06:03 AM
Brian Hill

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message P.S. Why
WOULD you sell a perfectly good radio?

Because I need the money for other things or just the money.

I have never sold ANY
of mine.

So what?

I wouldn't even CONSIDER selling a poorly-performing or broken
unit. I have, indeed, thrown them out!

That's because you obviously don't have the knowledge to repair them or your
foolish.

Old February 19th 05, 03:14 PM
Panzer240

"Brian Hill" wrote in :

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Chris,

Piece of advice based on many, many years of experience:

DON'T BUY USED! Repeat: DON'T BUY USED!

Why is the seller getting rid of the unit? NOT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT!

It is ALWAYS better to buy a relatively inexpensive NEW item rather
than some dude's cast-off finery!

I have no experience with the Ten-Tec RX-320D. However it does get a
very nice review in the new PASSPORT, which I recommend you buy if you
haven't already.

Best,

Joe

You convinced me. Ok everybody, lets throw all the used radios in the
trash.

Yep I'll be setting up a dumpster over there in the corner-----

Please put all your trashy used radios in it and I will arrange for
diposal of them.

fnarrrrrrrrH gufaaaahhhhh

--
Panzer

Old February 19th 05, 03:19 PM
Chris Hill

On 18 Feb 2005 20:44:24 -0800, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Dear Chris,

Piece of advice based on many, many years of experience:

DON'T BUY USED! Repeat: DON'T BUY USED!

Why is the seller getting rid of the unit? NOT BECAUSE HE LIKES IT!

It is ALWAYS better to buy a relatively inexpensive NEW item rather
than some dude's cast-off finery!

Only reason I'm considering it is because a dealer is selling it and
they guarantee it'll work. If it does work well, I can probably
resell it without taking near as much of a hit if I grow tired of it.