Old March 1st 05, 03:46 AM
Tom Sevart

"running dogg" wrote in message

Remember KIPM, the
pirate who operated with a gazillion watts and never seemed to get
caught? Alan Maxwell put a lot of effort into his operation as well, but
at least he had something to say. YS just seems to have been done for
kicks.

Well KIPM didn't transmit 24 hrs a day, either, and stuck with frequencies
around 6955 or thereabouts. He didn't make a nuisance of himself on the ham
bands which tends to get the attention of hams, the ARRL, and eventually the
FCC.

http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/yosemite.jpg

--
Tom Sevart
Frontenac, KS

Old March 1st 05, 03:51 AM
running dogg

Tom Sevart wrote:

"David Stinson" wrote in message
I guess the thing that really surprises me about Y.S.
is that (apparently) someone thought they could
carry on a long-term operation like this and escape being caught.

Well again, my question is, what was the purpose? I guess maybe they
thought the lax FCC would never come after them, but they foolishly didn't
count the determination of local hams.

I'm asking the same thing. What's the point of a bunch of static and
"Varmint, I'm gonna blow ya ta smithereens!" played over and over again
on four frequencies with a specific time delay between the four. What
were they trying to prove? Was this a bunch of high school kids who were
good with computers who decided to pull the equivalent of a hacking
prank?

Old March 2nd 05, 02:22 AM
running dogg

-=jd=- wrote:

On Mon 28 Feb 2005 10:51:52p, running dogg wrote in message
:

Tom Sevart wrote:

"David Stinson" wrote in message
I guess the thing that really surprises me about Y.S.
is that (apparently) someone thought they could
carry on a long-term operation like this and escape being caught.

Well again, my question is, what was the purpose? I guess maybe they
thought the lax FCC would never come after them, but they foolishly
didn't count the determination of local hams.

I'm asking the same thing. What's the point of a bunch of static and
"Varmint, I'm gonna blow ya ta smithereens!" played over and over again
on four frequencies with a specific time delay between the four. What
were they trying to prove? Was this a bunch of high school kids who were
good with computers who decided to pull the equivalent of a hacking
prank?

I would advise against reading too much into it. What's the quote, "The
difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has it's
limits..." As far as I can surmise, it was just some bonehead who derived
some degree of excitement from all the interest he stirred up with the
broadcasts. Well, if he craved attention, I believe he got more than he
bargained for.

You're probably right. I wonder if he read this group and got off on
reading all the "government spy op" theories. I guess that in a contest
between paranoid fantasies and reality, one should put one's money on
reality. That said, there ARE a lot of REAL spy tx's on SW. I still
wonder why the Mossad would run Sierra Yankee November Two on the edge
of an international broadcast band for DAYS ON END. I mean, you think
the message would have gotten across after the first couple days.