Old February 28th 05, 10:37 PM
Dave Stadt

Default Steve Fossett-Heads Up

"dxAce" wrote in message ...

John Plimmer wrote:

Thanks for the tip Steve
see http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/
I sent off an inquiry to them regarding frequency usage.
Steve

Good chance they will use satellite.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"dxAce" wrote in message
Adventurer Steve Fossett is set to leave Salina, Kansas this afternoon at

3 PM
local time (2100 GMT) on his round the world trip.

He'll be heading east...

Not sure what frequencies or callsign will be in use at this time, though

I have
put out some enquiries. The aircraft is GlobalFlyer VS101.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 28th 05, 10:42 PM
dxAce

Dave Stadt wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

John Plimmer wrote:

Thanks for the tip Steve
see http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/

I sent off an inquiry to them regarding frequency usage.

Steve

Good chance they will use satellite.

Probably a good chance of that, however he'll still have to check in via the
usual ATC frequencies as well.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 1st 05, 03:28 AM
John Plimmer

Well, the most dangerous part of the flight is over = the take off fully
loaded with fuel seems successful.
Hope you guys can catch a recording of the flight, as the flightpath lies
far from my QTH.
Very exciting!
See BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4304179.stm
seems one of the most difficult things will be NOT running out of fuel

See also:
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...rs_and_Daredev
ils/rutan/EX32.htm
I was lucky enough to get a recording of Dick Rutan and Jeanna Yeager in
Voyager passing over Central Africa in December 1986 on their world record
breaking flight. A very difficult task in those days as technology was
nowhere near as advanced as it is today.

Sure hope one of you can get a recording of GlobalFlyer - let us know if
you do

Old March 1st 05, 09:19 PM

I wish him the Best Of Luck on his Around the World trip.It would be
nice if there was a webcamera or two on his Airplane and photos could be
beamed to tv via satellite and we could watch it live on tv.I lived in
Salina,Kansas in 1957.It was in the Summer time,hot,dry climate.
cuhulin

Old March 2nd 05, 03:50 AM
Brian Denley

dxAce wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:

Well, the most dangerous part of the flight is over = the take off
fully loaded with fuel seems successful.
Hope you guys can catch a recording of the flight, as the flightpath
lies far from my QTH.
Very exciting!

Steve:
Any info yet on HF comm freqs for the Global Flyer?

--
Brian Denley

Old March 2nd 05, 05:49 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Brian Denley wrote:

dxAce wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:

Well, the most dangerous part of the flight is over = the take off
fully loaded with fuel seems successful.
Hope you guys can catch a recording of the flight, as the flightpath
lies far from my QTH.
Very exciting!

Steve:
Any info yet on HF comm freqs for the Global Flyer?

No, I haven't seen any. I listened late afternoon and early evening to 11300 as
Global Flyer transited Egypt but heard nothing. He may have been asleep at the
time and had the aircraft on auto-pilot. (although his website says he was
awake. He is traveling at a very high altitude, and ATC may not be terribly
concerned about him).

The problem now will be, at least from here, is that the ATC frequencies he
might possibly use will be difficult to hear propagationally, at least from
here, though possibilities still exist.

At present (1440) he is over halfway home and just east of Shanghai, China over
the water again.

There may be a fuel supply problem, and the mission MIGHT have to be aborted. See:

http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer...ues_update.jsp

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
John Plimmer

Trying at 1830 z on NP and CWP frequencies, but = no luck - propagation not
good
I see now that he is very likely to run out of fuel.....
Perhaps a landing in Honolulu???

Old March 2nd 05, 06:52 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

Trying at 1830 z on NP and CWP frequencies, but = no luck - propagation not
good
I see now that he is very likely to run out of fuel.....
Perhaps a landing in Honolulu???

That looks like a possibility John, but I'm sure they're looking at all
scenarios at this point. If he can pick up some decent tail winds the problem of
the fuel discrepancy might be overcome.

Steve

Old March 2nd 05, 09:34 PM
Steve

Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer special event on the air (Mar 2, 2005) --
Special event station K0KSU will be on the air from Kansas in conjunction
with the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer round-the-world solo flight by Bob
Fossett, who took off from Kansas February 28. The aviation adventurer is
expected to return to Kansas sometime on March 3. A spokesperson for the
Kansas State University-Salina Amateur Radio Club told ARRL that K0KSU is
operating during daylight hours only on 20 and 15 meter SSB (K0KSU has been
worked at 14.259 MHz). QSLs will bear the likeness of the GlobalFlyer, with
permission from Virgin Atlantic. The club is hoping to revitalize the
university station with this event.