Old March 3rd 05, 09:30 PM

The issue is not whether one could "suck it up" and take the
meaningless test if they want a license. No doubt, if someone wanted
to become an licensed amateur they could learn the minimum speed for
code and then never use it again.

The issue is how such requirements are are perceived by and whether
they motivate prospective hams to study for one or more licenses. Like
it or not licensed amateur radio communication and it's sister hobby
SWLing face a lot of competition from other modes of communication and
gathering information about the world that were not there 20 years ago.
And none of those modes require testing and licensing. That
competition is real and the amateur radio hobby needs to recognize that
it no longer has the appeal of being the premier method of long
distance communication. If the hobby doesn't, it will gradually fade
away.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:33 PM
Jim

I notice he had no response.

73
W2USB
"Seńor Sombra" wrote in message
Bravo Well Stated

--
Lamont Cranston

"Jim" wrote in message
Activity is not down on the bands. Propagation is down.
In 2000 at the peak of the solar cycle, the bands were packed. I spoke

young, old , male and female. I have my log to prove it. If you want
something, study for it.
If I can pass the 5WPM code (not my favorite mode), anyone can. It

seems
that today, people take the easy way out by sniveling that the system is
not
fair, rather than
sucking it up and working for their goals.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The totals may be up, but those include active and inactive hams. Just
listen to the bands...ain't nearly as busy as it once was. And listen
to the voices...no youngsters.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:35 PM
Tebojockey

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:30:17 -0600, "Ric Trexell"
wrote:

I was reading a few of the posts about how there will not be a need for ham
radio in the future due to all the new ways of communicating. That has a
lot to do with it but I think the biggest problem with ham radio is the hams
themselves. CB'ers killed CB'ing with bad language and hams are doing it
with those stupid contests. I remember as a kid getting my first SW radio
and listening to hams talk about their lives and the area that they lived in
and stuff like that. Now when I turn it on I get guys talking only about
their radio or calling CQ CQ contest. Then another will come back and say
they are 5 and 9 out here in Kansas and soon the guy is calling CQ CQ
contest again. Does any one think that people are going to invest in a
radio and all the learning to do what are nothing more than fancy radio
checks? If that is what the ham bands are going to be used for, then I say
turn them over to business and telephone radio freqs. Ric.

You know, I've been licensed for a little over twenty years, not
always active. I hold an advanced class license, not extra. I just
haven't had the time or opportunity to go for the exam, and I really
can do all I want with the advanced class.

Now, this is a general reply to all the mess that's been posted here
in the last few days. The hobby will not die out, simply for the fact
that there will always be those individuals who rise to a challenge
and will study to pass an exam (whether people think it's meaningless
or not) to attain the goal that they want. In this case, the ham
ticket.

It has been my experience that people who have no hope of passing a
technical examination are the ones who bitch and moan the most about
why they shouldn't have to take such a "meaningless exam." True, in
the US we have done away with the high-speed code requirements (except
for the General RadioTelegraph License), but that is because it is a
somewhat outmoded means of communication. Even for seafarers, GMDSS
is taking over and code is used less and less. The fact that one
needs to understand the RF medium one is working in and fully
understand the technical requirements and aspects of it will never
change. Dangerous voltages and currents exist here as well as the
potential to cause harmful interference, so this will "never" be a
plug-and-play hobby. If you think that you can do it like that, you
are a danger to yourself and others and probably bordering on a public
menace.

Even SWLs who tinker with building their own equipment need to know
electronics or they have no hope of success. Although there is no
license requirements or testing for SWLs (at least no license here in
the US), most take it as a matter of personal pride to learn all they
can.

As for "meaningless college courses," well, I can think of a few:
Psych didn't aid me in my goals one bit, nor did the mechanical
engineering courses such as thermals and fluids. But I took them and
gave it every effort BECAUSE IT WAS A REQUIREMENT and I wanted my
BSEE.

So here I now sit, with a BSEE (B.Sc. EE) that has gotten me good
employment, as well as a Microsoft MCSE which has also helped and I am
also certified by the Society of Broadcast Engineers as a CBRE AM/FM.
All of this paid off, and like so many before me, I rose to the
challenge instead of whining and bitching and moaning.

As for contests and people talking about thei radios, well, if you
don't like that, then go out and find someone who wants to talk about
the things you wish to discuss. It's as simple as that! You
certainly are not going to change the meat and potatoes of the ham
community, so you will spare yourself an aneurism and have much more
success by initiating conversations with like-minded individuals who
are willing to talk about other issues. There are so many licensed
amateurs in the world that surely you will find someone who wants to
talk with you.

Just my two cents, and thanks for listening.

Al

Old March 3rd 05, 10:56 PM

Tom Brokejaw (he is like a broke dick dog) is another one of them COMMIE
left wing AssHoles!!!!
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 05, 11:01 PM

One finger hunt n peck typing system dude here.About two or three words
per minute,all depends on how long the words are and how often I scratch
me arse and pick my nose,,, hold out your coffee cup and catch this
booger,KLINK!!! Go bragg (Fort Bragg is Bragging every day) on your
typing skills.Show us how fast you can type,BUT,that doesn't prove
anything.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 05, 11:10 PM

That old IBM computer that dates to back around 1990 is still sitting
over there at the Goodwill thrift store since a week ago.I know a guy
who has worked with computers for 47 years and he knows every computer
operating system there is.He told me that old IBM computer works on the
old DOS (Disk Operating System) operating system and only old timers
know how to program and work that computer.I believe him too.This
afternoon,I offered the lady at the checkout counter $5.00 for that
computer.I really don't need or want that old computer,but I want it any
damn way!
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 05, 11:16 PM

With arthritis in my fingers,how fast (Johnny ****erfast!!! come home to
supper! Gee whiz mom,I am ****ing her fast as I can!) do y'all expect me
to type? Just wait till arthritis catches up to you,and you can be sure
it will too.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 05, 11:24 PM

You are not too late and the Glory days are not over.Just jump in and
"RADIO"
cuhulin