Old March 8th 05, 06:17 AM
Tebojockey

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:03:23 -0800, "CW" wrote:

"Tebojockey" wrote in message
.. .
Jack,

Thanks for your input, but I beg to differ with you. A general
radiotelephone operator's license IS required to perform *any* work on
comms equipment for aircraft or marine use.

He wasn't talking about a repair tech, he stated "operator.

Operators may not evenchange "plug-and-play" equipment unless they
are throwing a switch from main to standby. Read the rules, Sir.

When it was
being demonstrated to one federal regulator in the early days, the
modulator section of the demonstrator's equipment failed and he
switched to Morse. The federal official was so impressed, that it
became a part of licensing regulations.

That's a new one. Just make that up?

No, try reading ARRL and ham history a bit, you'll find the scenario
and stories. My imagination isn't that good. Maybe yours is.

But I
suspect that it will always be a part of the license requirement.

No it won't, wait a few years.

It's a rite of
passage to join the club.

Now it comes out. Hazing. I thought people got over that in college.

We did, but our club, our rules. You want the license, you pass all
the tests. Don't like it? CB is still there, but for how long, no
one knows.

Drive through, please.

Al

Old March 4th 05, 12:14 AM

A home brew shirt pocket size transmitter with eleven inches of wire
thrown over a bush,Morse Code,and you can talk to the World.
cuhulin

Old March 4th 05, 12:51 AM
Ken Wilson

Ric Trexell wrote:
I was reading a few of the posts about how there will not be a need for ham
radio in the future due to all the new ways of communicating. That has a
lot to do with it but I think the biggest problem with ham radio is the hams
themselves. CB'ers killed CB'ing with bad language and hams are doing it
with those stupid contests. I remember as a kid getting my first SW radio
and listening to hams talk about their lives and the area that they lived in
and stuff like that. Now when I turn it on I get guys talking only about
their radio or calling CQ CQ contest. Then another will come back and say
they are 5 and 9 out here in Kansas and soon the guy is calling CQ CQ
contest again. Does any one think that people are going to invest in a
radio and all the learning to do what are nothing more than fancy radio
checks? If that is what the ham bands are going to be used for, then I say
turn them over to business and telephone radio freqs. Ric.

Well.......as far as the contesters......they are without question the
best operators in the world. It is really sad to listen to the so called
emergency nets. The Net Control operators have a hard time coping more
than 1 checkin at a time. They really need to listen to some top notch
contesters running a pileup at 250-280 qso's per hour. I am amazed how
these net control type of operators can complain about contesters since
most have no skills for handling a large volume of traffic in a short time.

I personally do not like phone contest's and when I was active I did the
CW contests. It is a real treat to call CQ & have several replies at the
same time. If you stummble you will not get the contacts as most will
only call 3 times before moving on.

If my health/welfare depended on Radio communications I would want all
of the big contest stations & their TOP SHELF operators handling the
traffic.

One other note.....If you like to DX....you can easily hear over 100
countries in 1 weekend of listening to a contest.

73, Ken KG4BIG / KT4ZX in many contests
Old March 5th 05, 07:24 AM

I don't know for sure,but learning the basic fundementals of useing a
computer (or even my stupid webtv box) couldn't be much harder than
learing to be a Ham Radio Operator.
cuhulin

Old March 5th 05, 10:42 PM
Dr. Artaud

wrote in news:15999-42295EC9-646@storefull-
3253.bay.webtv.net:

I read an article the other day of a couple (man/woman thing, you know, a
couple), that had been fined and threatened with equipment confiscation
since they weren't complying with FCC regulations. The couple's equipment
consisted of a battery charger or two for the charging of the couple's
electric scooters. You see, the couple did not have an FCC License, they
possessed no equipment requiring them to posses a license, yet they have
been fined and have been threatened with equipment confiscation since
their equipment is causing RFI.

Can you learn to press buttons on Handie Talkies (HT), Walkie Talkies,
Base Stations, to turn knobs, enter frequencies with the keypad, etc.
Sure. Can you learn to do it legally? Therein lies the rub.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/01/06/2/?nc=1

Modern people think that simple operation of equipment is all that is
required for them to be a professional. But to be a good HAM, you need to
understand much more (I'm not saying that I am a good HAM).

I also have an interest in telescopes. Years ago, anyone with any pride
labored to grind and figure the mirror for their telescopes, assembling
the entire unit, understanding something about optics in the process.
They went outside, learned the sky, found the objects of their desire,
and observed them. Today, you open the box, remove the wrapper, put in
the batteries, enter the coordinates from a chart, and viola!, the scope
slews to the desired star. In return they know little of the optics and
even less of the sky. Yet that call themselves amateur astronomers. I
realize that the cost is low enough for most people to buy decent
telescopes today, something that wasn't the case years ago, therefore
they built them, but they still learned about them in the process.

You see, we don't have the time to do the work building them, nor
learning the sky, we have such busy lives. But subtract the amount of
time that we spend perusing porn on the internet and watching endless
hours of televised movies, reality shows, and sports, and I think that
you would see that we do indeed have the time, but we waste it on
superficial things, things that in the long run produce no edification.

Aye, you can learn the fundamentals, but can you do it legally,
effectively, can you diagnose problems when they occur, or will you
simply throw out the item and buy another. Will you simply add a bigger
AMP (like the CB linear AMPs), or will you cunningly design your antenna
system so that you get the performance that you want with less power and
therefore less liklihood that you would produce interference.

Soliloquy.