Old March 7th 05, 04:27 AM
starman

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

Dear Ducky,

It is FAR more sensitive. But remember - sensitivity per se is not the
most important attribute of a good short wave radio, at least nowadays,
when virtually all short wave radios have sufficient sensitivity. A
sensitive receiver will pick up local electrical noise even better than
an insensitive one! A radio/antenna combination which will minimize
that problem is better than one that won't.

Take my advice about buying the AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna (on a
returnable basis) first and try it with your Sony ICF-SW7600GR. If you
see an improvement in reception quality, then the Grundig Satellit 800
will certainly outperform (on an absolute basis) the Sony, due to its
far superior image rejection, IF filtering, AGC action, etc.

In order to improve your reception quality, first you must increase the
signal-to-noise ratio. Only an antenna can do that. If you find one
that will work well in your location (and I believe the WL500 is one
that will), then you can upgrade your shack to a better receiver with
the knowledge that you are getting your money's worth.

If, after following my advice, you ultimately do buy a Satellit 800,
well then you can aspire to someday owning a Wellbrook ALA 330S Active
Loop Antenna, the finest antenna being made today. But that will be far
into the future.

You should find that the Grundig Satellit 800/AOR WL500 combination
will afford you excellent reception and many hours of pleasant
listening.

Best,

Joe

Please elaborate on why you think the Wellbrook is better than a well
built inverted-L with a good grounding system, a la 'Doty'.

Old March 7th 05, 12:52 PM

The AOR Loop is a good idea. If you can afford the loop, I suggest you
go for it and you'll get a big improvement in reception on your 7600.

If you object to spending so much money on an antenna, you can spend
significantly less (less than a hundred bucks, I think) on the Sony
AN-LP1 active loop antenna. Probably not as good as the AOR, but a lot
cheaper. It would also improve your reception significantly.

Steve

Old March 7th 05, 11:52 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear "Starman,"

The person who initiated this post cannot have an outdoor antenna of
any type. He lives in an apartment which, of course, has restrictions
(read the first letter in this post). That is why I did not even
mention an outdoor antenna.

In his particular case, he wanted to know if a Grundig Satellit 800
would be "better" than a Sony ICF-SW7600GR. I recommended that he FIRST
try an AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna, the best antenna of its type I
have found (it delivers a better signal and affords a better
signal-to-noise ratio than, for example, the Sony AN-LP1 antenna,
though I like that antenna, especially for travel). I said to him that
if the AOR antenna improves his reception on the Sony, the Grundig will
definitely offer an improvement. If, however, he notices little or no
difference in reception with the AOR antenna over the "wire clipped to
antenna" he is currently using, then forget about the Grundig until he
moves to a different house.

But to answer your particular question, a Wellbrook ALA 330S Active
Loop Antenna will probably outperform ANY "real-world" short wave
antenna any of us are able to afford due to its great improvement in
the S/N ratio of the received signal. Certainly that is the case in the
summer when atmospheric noise is at its highest and, of course, in many
houses and neighborhoods with nearby electrical wires, street lamps,
buried cable-TV wires, computers, fluorescent lights, outdoor
"low-voltage" (read: transformers made in China) lighting, etc., etc.,
etc.

The Wellbrook is far less sensitive to the "electrical" component of
the particular frequency to which you are tuned. That makes all the
difference.

A well-built outdoor antenna - a random wire, a sloper, a dipole - will
receive more "signal" but will ALSO receive more "noise," thus
degrading the listenability of the received signal. If you are in an
electrically-quiet area, where there is little or no noise problem of
the types described above, the outdoor antenna is definitely the way to
go, at least at first.

I personally cannot have an outdoor antenna either due to homeowners'
association restrictions. The Wellbrook antenna has been like a miracle
for me! If I lived in an "ideal" world, however, I would have BOTH - an
outdoor long wire AND the Wellbrook. I can tell you, however, that I
would probably be using the Wellbrook more, especially in summer!

For most people in most situations, I feel that the Wellbrook ALA 330S
is positively the best antenna yet designed, certainly the finest
antenna I personally have experienced in well over forty years of short
wave listening.

Best,

Joe

Old March 8th 05, 10:52 AM
RHF

DUCKY,
=2E
The Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio plus the
Sony AN-LP1 'portable' Shortwave Loop Antenna are a 'matched-set'
for a an On-the-Go "Travel" Shortwave Listening System.
=2E
ABOUT - The Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://tinyurl.com/6cwoy
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...86e2c6735c3459

=2E
ABOUT - Antennas for the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://tinyurl.com/527dg
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...d440c902c16d45

=2E
WEBPAGE - The Sony ICF-SW7600 Series Page
http://tinyurl.com/4rumo
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...acbe683366a500

=2E
? Is this the Antenna I want for my Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio ?
http://tinyurl.com/65nx9
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e6204ae5d69cca

=2E
? Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio - Any Thoughts ?
http://tinyurl.com/5at8n
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e0b141f462d88d

=2E
Check-Out the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio eGroup on YAHOO !
All are Welcome and Invited-to-Join this Group.
=2E
=2E
However - If I were looking for a single stand-a-lone Table-Top
Shortwave Radio for a "Fixed Location" then I would 'choose' the
Grundig Satellit 800-M because it has more built-in Tools for
Advance Radio Reception and Improved Broadcast Radio Listening
Enjoyment.
+ A Better Functioning AM SYNC Circuit
+ Three IF Band Widths
+ Fast & Slow AGC
+ Selectable SSB LSB & USB
+ Ease of Operation =3D Size and Layout of Controls
+ Better Sound Quality
+ Whip Antenna {Mega Size} and Pre-Amplifier
=2E
ABOUT - The "Mega Sized" Whip Antenna of the Grundig Satellit 800-M.
Grundig Satellit 800-M has a built-in Whip Antenna and Pre-Amplifier
This "Whip Antenna" is a design for an earlier age of radio
when Whip Antennas were designed and engineered to be real
signal gatherers: Large and Long and Thick at the base and
tapering to the tip. The majority of today's portable radios
have short and thin whip antennas; which provide minimum signal
gathering. Grundig Satellit 800-M's "Whip Antenna" is MEGA Sized
when compared to the average whip antenna on most of today's
smaller portable radios. Plus with the Grundig Satellit 800-M
you have the built-in Whip Antenna Pre-Amplifier for add
signal strength.
=2E
IMHO: The Size and Shape of the Grundig Satellit 800-M
Whip Antenna is about the signal gathering equivalent of
one of those 23 Ft Role-Up Antennas that are required by
most other portable radios to get the same signals that
the Grundig Satellit 800-M provides.
=2E
FWIW - Here are Two Things to Consider
about the Grundig Satellit 800-M "Whip" Antenna
* The Grundig Satellit 800-Ms "MEGA" Size Whip Antenna
is Massive in both in Length and Thickness.
(About 4X-5X the 'effective' RF Signal receiving surface
conducting area which results in a greater 'Signal Capture
Aperture' =3D Higher Signal Levels and less fade.)
* Plus the Grundig Satellit 800-M has a 'built-in' Whip Antenna
PRE-AMPLIFIER.
(About 2X-4X the effective RF 'weak' Signal Sensitivity.)
=2E
READ - One of the Grundig Satellit 800M's
.. . . Secrets for Top Perfromance
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/message/6093
=2E
READ - The Grundig Satellit 800M's "MEGA" Sized Whip Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/message/4176
=2E
Check-Out the Grundig Satellit 800M eGroup on YAHOO !
All are Welcome and Invited-to-Join this Group.
=2E
=2E
TIP - Buy Both and Enjoy your Radios : On-the-Go or At-Home !
=2E
=2E
iane ~ RHF
=2E
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
=2E
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
=2E
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
=2E
=2E
* * * EXTRACTED from Newsgroups: Rec.Radio.Shortwave
=3D =3D =3D From: "Ducky"
=3D =3D =3D Date: 3 Mar 2005 13:47:58 -0800
=3D =3D =3D Local: Thurs, Mar 3 2005 1:47 pm
=3D =3D =3D Subject: 7600GR Vs SAT 800
=2E
I have a Sony 7600GR.
=2E
Will I get much better performance from a new Grundig SAT 800 ?
=2E
I think I can get a reconditioned Grundig for around $400.
=2E
I am just wondering if it's worth nearly $300 more than the Sony.
=2E=20
Any help appreciated.=20
=2E=20
=2E