Old March 12th 05, 12:41 AM

Default Fishermen on 4126.4 usb

At 0040, if anyone's interested.

Steve

Old March 12th 05, 11:12 AM
Jim Douglas

Where are you located?

wrote in message
oups.com...
At 0040, if anyone's interested.

Steve

Old March 12th 05, 05:20 PM
Jack Painter

wrote

At 0040, if anyone's interested.

Steve

Hi Steve, any chance you meant " 4.125 " Mhz? Seems odd to find traffic
exactly 1400Hz higher than ITU# 450, which is 4.125 and a very popular
marine calling and distress frequency.

The difference between USB assigned frequency and carrier frequency is
1400Hz. Some purists still like to post assigned frequency instead of
carrier frequency. This confuses most hobbyists and serves no purpose since
modern radios all display carrier frequency in their "window". Frequency
allocations still use assigned frequency (1400 Hz above carrier and
window-frequency) but that's the only place I see it anymore.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old March 12th 05, 05:50 PM

Hi Jack,

I'm too lazy to worry about assigned vs carrier frequency. I just post
whatever frequency is displayed on the LCD readout on my R8B. It said
4126.4 khz, and I believe the displayed frequency is the carrier
frequency in SSB. Maybe the fisherman were slightly off frequency?

I don't know, but they were entertaining to listen to.

Steve

Old March 12th 05, 06:02 PM
Jack Painter

wrote
Hi Jack,

I'm too lazy to worry about assigned vs carrier frequency. I just post
whatever frequency is displayed on the LCD readout on my R8B. It said
4126.4 khz, and I believe the displayed frequency is the carrier
frequency in SSB. Maybe the fisherman were slightly off frequency?

I don't know, but they were entertaining to listen to.

Steve

Steve, I use my R8B as a guard receiver, and it's a champ in any band. It is
indeed display = carrier. So yes I would say the fishermen were just doing
what they often do, tuning up wherever they feel like it, and sometimes on
whatever band they feel like, lol.

Jack

Old March 12th 05, 07:15 PM

I wish more people would record this stuff. If you can tolerate having
a PC running while listenting to shortwave, you can record using the
scanner recorder at www.davee.com. Adjust the squelch to zero to record
everying. I record in either mp3 or gsm.

Old March 12th 05, 08:07 PM

I agree that it would nice to have more recordings, but I don't have a
website to post recordings on and they'd probably be too large to send
via email.

Steve

Old March 13th 05, 11:17 AM
Jim Douglas

Sorry, DUH, did not even see that, Thanks, I always want to know where folks
are as I am in TX and don't get **** down here! Well a little **** but not
as much as you east coasters do!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Douglas wrote:
Where are you located?

New York City. I thought the NYC in my email address would tip people
off to that...sorry.

Steve

6.230 usb fishermen UJ Shortwave 4 June 4th 04 02:14 PM
4890 Fishermen N8KDV Shortwave 5 September 25th 03 10:59 PM