Old March 19th 05, 05:47 AM
uncle arnie

STONECREED wrote:

I would love to know why shortwave receivers for automobiles are not
sold in the USA. Deal with the state department? Any ideas?
Thanks
CReed

They don't receive so well in moderate signal areas. Today the push would be
the fee-for-monthly sat radios. The various corporations involved would
rather shovel top40 and recycled news.

Old March 20th 05, 08:06 PM
dxAce

STONECREED wrote:

I would love to know why shortwave receivers for automobiles are not
sold in the USA. Deal with the state department? Any ideas?

They've been sold in the past, however it would seem as though there is not much
of a market for them.

I rather doubt that there is a 'deal with the State Department', but feel free
to let your mind run wild with speculation.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 20th 05, 08:12 PM

I don't know why either.I know Shortwave Radios for cars used to be sold
in U.S.A.not long ago.I was in New Orleans about ten years ago and I
bought a cheapo radio for my van and I saw a sign there about Shortwave
Radios (Blaupunkt Shortwave Radios) for cars and the store also
installed them too.I installed my own cheapo Krayco radio in my van.
cuhulin

Old March 22nd 05, 02:17 AM
Dan Say

STONECREED wrote:

I would love to know why shortwave receivers for automobiles are
not sold in the USA. Deal with the state department? Any ideas?
Thanks
CReed

Compared to say Europe, where they are?
Shortwave carries over the borders. Most 'national' i.e.
local radio in Europe is now FM with limited range.

Often you want to hear radio from the next country or
your own country/language before passing the border station
or inside the other country.

The U.S. is a large square block with no neighbouring countries
that people drive to. Local radio in local language is
preferred, and there is not the polyglot of Europe.

You might want to hear overseas, but probably only in English,
while Europeans want to hear non-English.
See for example, Radio Danube and other such tourist season
stations in their own sets of languages for tourists.

I'm not aware of radio-from-home stations for drivers in the U.S.
--
-\_,-~-\___...__._._._._._._._._._._._.
For real Dxing,

Old March 22nd 05, 04:55 AM
D. Martin

Freeway Radio sells a Sony AM/FM/SW/cassette car-stereo,
1-866-404-3600, also, The Shortwave Store, via the internet, sells a
Sony shortwave car stereo. Darren
http://www.geocities.com/apocalyptic121/index.html

Old March 22nd 05, 09:10 AM
RHF

SC,
Old March 22nd 05, 10:36 PM
george craig

"David" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2005 01:10:00 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

SC,
.
In the USA the Car Radio is a piece of Audio Equipment.
This is why Tapes, CDs and Mega-Watt Sound Systems
are so big. International Shortwave Broadcast coming
across the Ocean, vice from the next-state in a Mobile
Environment make Shortwave less than the best sounding
Radio Audio Wise. Shortwave is simply not a "Hot Button"
Consumer Accessory for 99.73% of New Car Buyers. Now
the Auto Makers are pushing XM and Sirius Satellite Radio
as a High Quality Audio and Content Systems; plus they
are an additional revenue stream post-sale of new cars.
.
just one man's opinion ~ RHF
.

The horror...

Some friends of the family had a 1968 Citroen that had A SW radio....
me thinks it was a popular option in european cars at the time.....GC