Old April 2nd 05, 05:53 PM

I own a Rolex stainless steel Oyster Perpetual wris****ch.It has the
bezel ring that rotates and a window that shows the date.I paid about
$230.00 for it and I paid $50.00 for my Mido wris****ch when I bought
both wris****ches at the Navy Fleet Store in Hong Kong in 1964 when I
went to Hong Kong for my R&R.I like my Mido wris****ch better than my
Rolex wris****ch and it keeps better time than my Rolex wris****ch
too,it always did.I think Rolex wris****ches are over rated.I quit
wearing a wris****ch years ago.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 06:36 PM

My old snail mail Gadget Universe catalog from February 2001,I am
looking at right now.On page 9.Web-@nywhere wris****ch.A quartz watch
that offers local time and date,the time in 100 cities around the
world,three daily alarms,three "special day" countdowns,four daily
countdown timers and a 1/100 second stopwatch that stores and recalls
your records up to 50 laps.The PDA functions include a schedule planner
and a telephone and e-mail address book.In the internet browser mode you
can access major web links and information-just place the watch in its
PC Linkup docking station to transfer 3,000 websites from

It can be used as a PDA and can download games and music and animated
graphics,you can write and edit music.A keychain stores one backup
battery so you are never left webless for long.Other special features
include an easy to use joystick,an illuminated display and EL
backlight.Comes in silver or black.$99.95

I think Gadget Universe merged with another gadget outfit
(TechnoScout.com,perhaps?) a year or two ago.It looks like a neat
wris****ch.I don't know if they are still available and I would buy one
if they are still available and can still be used for websurfing.I think
I will do a search for them.There are many kinds of neat wris****ches
nowdays,cellphone wris****ches,FM radio wris****ches,camera
wris****ches,two way radio wris****ches.It is getting harder to find a
plain old ordinary wris****ch anymore nowdays.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 06:39 PM
John S.

"A twelve hour dial is easily read at a glance, a 24 hour, not so
easy."
JS A 24 hour rotatable bezel with dark and light hours shaded as
Seiko has used for years is exceptionally easy to glance at and tell
whether the target zone is approaching evening, entering dawn, etc. It
takes no conversion of 24 to 12 hour time...just knowing dark means
dark, etc.

" and beset with problems such as lack of shock resistance"
JS Are you aware that for the past half century almost all

mechanical
watches use shock absorbtion devices like Kif or Diashock. Modern
mechanical movements are surprisingly robust. If the last new watch
you tried was in the 1940's, then I could understand why you might

make
such a statement.

"How many G's will such a device withstand?"
JS Well, since Omega sent it's chrono with a shock absorption
escapement to the moon several decades ago, I would estimate that it
would withstand several "G"s. And China's first astronaut wore a
mechanical chinese-made chrono into space recently. Actually the valuf
of Kif-like shock absorbers is mostly in absorbing sudden shock from
being banged or dropped.
I do have to ask...why are you asking about the number of G's a watch
could withstand...is there some relevance to keeping track of time for
swling or internatonal travel?

Old April 2nd 05, 06:49 PM

My Rolex never helped me get any more dates.It saw some rough times in
Vietnam in 1964.The crystal is cracked,the winding stem long since won't
lock down anymore.After about two months,I threw it in my footlocker and
I started wearing my Mido wris****ch,a much,much better wris****ch in my
opinion and it only has the hour and minute hands and a sweep second
hand on it.Just a plain,ordinary looking wris****ch it is and it still
keeps just as good time as any mechanical wris****ch.I paid only $50.00
for it too as opposed to the $230.00 I paid for my Rolex.Back then,it
was "thing to do" to be sporting a Rolex on your wrist.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 06:56 PM
David

On 2 Apr 2005 09:39:10 -0800, "John S." wrote:

I do have to ask...why are you asking about the number of G's a watch
could withstand...is there some relevance to keeping track of time for
swling or internatonal travel?

Some people work with their hands for a living.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:54 PM

I am only staying on topic,that's all.Page 26 in my snail mail Popular
Science magazine.A spinning sphere is the secret to precise time.A
$325,000 Jaeger-LeCoultre (there was a guy who went to the same public
school I went to back in 1940's,his name is Claude Coultre)
Gyrotourbillion wris****ch and some articles about www.yeswatch.com
and fossil.com and suuntowatches.com www.dogpile.com Web
Anywhere Wris****ch and www.gizmodo.com There is a fancy Pimp
wris****ch available (I am not jokeing) and wris****ches that run on
beer too.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 10:25 PM
John S.

Yes, people do work with their hands for a living. Presumably a
blacksmith would not have need to tell time in 3 zones at one time and
would remove any watch, electronic or mechanical. I know guys that
golf with their automatic watch with no ill effect. Most of us who
work with our hands but in less strenuous activities should not have to
worry about their watch failing. And since the original thread asked
about a 24 hour watch for swling, I'm still not clear how a G rating
would come into play.

Old April 2nd 05, 11:30 PM

UTC is the same as GMT.(some folks call it Zulu) I live in the CTZ
(Central Time Zone) and I have always known London is six hours ahead of
my time zone.Right now,it is (keep in mind,by the time I finish typing
this and send and by the time it shows up at rec.radio.shortwave,the
time will be a little later) 4:30 PM CTZ and it is 10:30 PM GMT.
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 11:37 PM

All you need to know is how many hours ahead of your time zone it is in
London.If where you live and y'all do change your clocks twice a
year,(England does) then you will always know what time it is
GMT.Otherwise,you will have to think that one hour difference.England
does change their clocks twice a year like some parts of America.UTC is
the same as GMT is the same as Zulu
cuhulin