Old April 11th 05, 11:15 AM
dxAce

mike maghakian wrote:

It is fairly clear what I said and it is the plain truth

the sync detector on the R8B/Sat 800/SW8 is far superior to what the R8A can
do on SWBC reception, the R8A has a useless notch and PBT compared to the
selectable sideband sync.

the 800 is not designed for the narrow bandwidth requirements of CW and some
other utes

If you can't understand this, well I am sorry for you. go back and get an
education in electronics and radio technology. I would offer to help but you
are too arrogant for me to waste my time with.

Guess I have to revisit this again...I was trained by the US Navy in
electronics... and as far as radio 'technology' goes, I am a user of radios and
not a 'collector' of radios.

I'd be more than happy to compare my DX catches and QSL's with you any day of
the week.

I've done OK...

Feel free to tote it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 11th 05, 06:25 PM
Michael A. Terrell

dxAce wrote:

Guess I have to revisit this again...I was trained by the US Navy in
electronics... and as far as radio 'technology' goes, I am a user of radios and
not a 'collector' of radios.

I'd be more than happy to compare my DX catches and QSL's with you any day of
the week.

I've done OK...

Feel free to tote it!

dxAce

Navy school, huh? I was tested out in basic training for electronics
and was awarded the MOS of 26T20, which is US Army for Broadcast
Engineer. I had the highest score on record at Ft. Knox for that MOS.
I made E4 and received a letter of commendation from the commanding
general of the three army bases in Alaska in my two years in the
military. I love to build or repair radios. One of my special projects
is a KU band system aboard the Space Station.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old April 12th 05, 02:13 AM
Brian Denley

dxAce wrote:
RHF wrote:

DX Ace,
.
Enjoy Listening to your 'new-to-you' Drake R8A Receiver )

Just want to try it out for the fun of it, never used an R8A before,
I suspect that it will perform just like the R8 or R8B.

OBTW - Are you enjoying your Diego Garcia Navy Support Facility Ball
Caps?

Only got one cap... and yes, it's very nice.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I like my R8A very much but, while I can compare it favorably to some other
high end desktop units, I have never owned the R8B. That 'B' sync detector
should be a definite improvement. I tried it out on the newer SW8 and it
was the best sync detector I have used.

--
Brian Denley

Old April 12th 05, 02:29 AM
dxAce

Brian Denley wrote:

dxAce wrote:
RHF wrote:

DX Ace,
.
Enjoy Listening to your 'new-to-you' Drake R8A Receiver )

Just want to try it out for the fun of it, never used an R8A before,
I suspect that it will perform just like the R8 or R8B.

OBTW - Are you enjoying your Diego Garcia Navy Support Facility Ball
Caps?

Only got one cap... and yes, it's very nice.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I like my R8A very much but, while I can compare it favorably to some other
high end desktop units, I have never owned the R8B. That 'B' sync detector
should be a definite improvement. I tried it out on the newer SW8 and it
was the best sync detector I have used.

Yes, it can come in handy I suppose, but in reality I rarely ever use sync on
either the R8 or R8B I have in service at the present time.

One other thing I've never used on the R8B is the alpha numeric memory feature.
Never even tried it out.

Old April 12th 05, 03:39 AM
Brian Denley

dxAce wrote:

Yes, it can come in handy I suppose, but in reality I rarely ever use
sync on either the R8 or R8B I have in service at the present time.

One other thing I've never used on the R8B is the alpha numeric
memory feature. Never even tried it out.

dxAce

Steve:

I works quite well if you have the time to type in the names. I did for
some of the big stations (bbc, RNZI, etc.) and for the time stations. After
that, even tuning through the dial, if you get near one of those alphas, the
name pops right out. A better method ( although I haven't seen it done)
might be if one of these ILG compatible computer control programs would load
the names in automatically............hmmmm.

--
Brian Denley