Old April 14th 05, 04:17 AM
rchrdprss

Default Laser Hot Hits prate station

I was looking through the ILG shortwave frequency listing a while ago, and I found a pirate station called "Laser Hot Hits" at 6.220 MHz. It is indicated as having an output power of 300 watts and originating from Ireland. I am located in the hills on the central coast in California, and just for the heck of it I started monitoring this frequency.

I only listen in the evenings between maybe 7:00 and maybe 10:00 PM, but not every night. Every once in a while I hear just a whisper of what sounds like music. Mostly all I hear is static. I also hear a little bit of what sounds like CW, but this is not a ham band. It is on the 45M marine band, so maybe it is coming from some local boat-ham as I am only 8 miles from the coast, but I have no idea about that.

I travel a lot for work and I brought my Sony SW07 and its amplified antenna with me on my last trip to the east coast a couple of weeks ago. I was in Orlando for the better part of a week. I monitored from the hotel room during the evening and I found nothing but noise. This is no great surprise as I was in a metal framed building with metal coated windows. The Sony is a really good travel radio though and I use it a lot.

My set up at home is an ICOM R75 with ~150ft random length wire antenna. I also use a TenTec RX 320 with a 60 ft sloper as well as the Sony. SW listening conditions here on the west coast are usually quite poor. I have better results for general SW listening with the Sony when I travel to the mid-west or east coast than I have at home. Go figure..

Has anyone caught this station? Do I need to go to Ireland to find it? I keep thinking that 300 watts from Ireland is quite a hop considering where I am. Maybe it's ok on the east coast and with proper listening configurations. Also, when I do an internet search all I find is really old information. Can anyone provide up to date information about this station?

Old April 14th 05, 05:10 AM

It might be that Pirate up on that hill in Ireland that I once mentioned
something about in this news group a month or two ago.I Like Pirate
Radio.Hey,whatever became of Yosemite Sam? Gonna blow ya to
Smithereeens!
cuhulin

Old April 14th 05, 07:29 AM
rchrdprss

wrote in message
It might be that Pirate up on that hill in Ireland that I once mentioned
something about in this news group a month or two ago.I Like Pirate
Radio.Hey,whatever became of Yosemite Sam? Gonna blow ya to
Smithereeens!
cuhulin

Cahulin,

Do you happen to remember which county in Ireland that pirate station was
in?

I have been to Ireland many times, mostly to Galway and to Cork. I love it
over there.

Those guys are more like us than most of us are. Let me rephrase that:

They are almost as American as we are.

By that I mean that when they" work", they work their F'n asses off. And
when they "don't work": they "don't work" their F'n asses off. I can tell
you stories of a city crew taking 10 days to install 25 feet of sidewalk
because it had to be "spot on". I can also tell of engineering tasks that
would take 10 days in the states being done in 2 days over there. Of
course, balancing everything, I can give examples of 3 day tasks taking 3
months, so let's not go overboard here.

I love that place. The food is great. The beer is: well ****. its Irish
beer! It's like German beer. Only it's better, because it is in English!

And the woman: OMG.. I've been married 22 years to my best friend who is
a red headed, blue eyed, California girl. BUT ****. Those black haired,
and red headed, and green eyed girls over there make me wish I was 20 again!

Their sports are strange though. They have this game called Hurling, which
oddly enough has nothing to do with drinking. And they have football, which
is really soccer, but it is called Irish football, and it is different from
Australian or Continental Football, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with
American football. Except that they have riots, and free-for-all's , after
a big game just like everyone else. They now get American sports on
satellite (Sky-TV) so they are starting to watch Americana football and they
beginning to like it. That's ok, except they are beginning to like American
beer as well.

Oh, they are all living on this little island which is 1/3rd the size of
California and which has 4 million people, as opposed to 25 million in Ca.
They tell me that there are 4 million Irish people in Ireland and 25 million
"Irish" people in the USA, mostly in Boston. They have this strange sort
of arithmetic over there.

So: what about the Irish pirate station? Are they still around?

RP

Old April 14th 05, 04:17 PM

I know three people whom are originally from Ireland and they live in
England.I have never been to Europe before.(Uncle Sam sent me to Nam in
1964) I suppose what you say about Ireland and the Irish is true.I am
Scotch Irish (more Scotch and more Irish than the Scots and Irish
themselves,This is TRUE) I looked in my Wal Mart Rand McNally Road Atlas
(2001 Updated Version www.randmcnally.com) and it says
California,Population: 33,867,600 Land Area,155,973 Square Miles.I did a
www.dogpile.com for, CIA World Factbook Ireland
and Ireland is about the same population and land area as South
Carolina.Ireland,Population: 3,969,558 (July 2004 Estimate) Land
Area,68,890 Square Miles.South Carolina,Population: 3,863,905.Land
Area,30,111 Square Miles.I live in Mississippi (born and raised and I
wouldn't trade Mississippi for all of the rest of the World,Period!) and
Mississippi,Population: 2,766,500.Land Area,46,914 Square Miles.Ireland
is a little over half of the Square Miles Land Area of
Mississippi.Pirate Radio isn't anything new,it has been going on for
many,many years.As far back as the 1950's,I have known there is Pirate
Radio in Ireland.
You can do a www.dogpile.com for,Pirate Shortwave Radio in Ireland
There might be something there.Ruiari Roddy (Ruiari is
pronounced,Rewery) is an Officer at the Cork,Ireland,Examiner newspaper
(TCM,Thomas Crosbie Media) (Ruiari used to have his own webpage on the
internet,he called it,startofauthority,I guess he stays so busy most of
the time,he let his webpage drop) and the Examiner online used to have
an online chat room.I used to go to that online chat room all the time
and raise hell,but I think they recently closed that chat room down,not
because of me though.A few years ago,a lady in Idaho decided to visit
Ireland in the month of November.When she got back home in Idaho,she got
back in that chat room and said she spent most of her time in Ireland
hanging on to the sides of buildings because those winds over there were
about to blow her away! I had told her before the best time to visit
Ireland is in the month of May.They have Gales (what we call Hurricanes)
over there sometimes and sometimes,those Gales can last for two or three
weeks,or more.
cuhulin

Old April 14th 05, 11:28 PM
Reader

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:17:09 -0700, rchrdprss wrote:

I was looking through the ILG shortwave frequency listing a while ago, and
I found a pirate station called "Laser Hot Hits" at 6.220 MHz. It is
indicated as having an output power of 300 watts and originating from
Ireland. I am located in the hills on the central coast in California,
and just for the heck of it I started monitoring this frequency.

I only listen in the evenings between maybe 7:00 and maybe 10:00 PM, but
not every night. Every once in a while I hear just a whisper of what
sounds like music. Mostly all I hear is static.

According to Glenn Hauser, they were off 6220 in January but you
could catch them at 7465, 9385, 4025. You may want to check with
Charlie Stone if they're back up on 6220.

http://www.worldofradio.com/wor1261.html
WORLD OF RADIO #1261, produced January 26, 2005 by Glenn Hauser
*Laser Hots Hits, Euro-pirate, off 6220, but still on 7465, 9385, 4025
24 hours; some streaming at http://www.radiolink.net/hothits

They had a website on Geocities from 1999 (or before) to 2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://.../7201/home.htm

Old April 14th 05, 11:53 PM
Reader

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:17:09 -0700, rchrdprss wrote:

I was looking through the ILG shortwave frequency listing a while ago, and
I found a pirate station called "Laser Hot Hits" at 6.220 MHz. It is
indicated as having an output power of 300 watts and originating from
Ireland. I am located in the hills on the central coast in California,
and just for the heck of it I started monitoring this frequency.

I only listen in the evenings between maybe 7:00 and maybe 10:00 PM, but
not every night. Every once in a while I hear just a whisper of what
sounds like music. Mostly all I hear is static.

According to Glenn Hauser, they were off 6220 in January but you
could catch them at 7465, 9385, 4025. You may want to check with
them if they're back up on 6220.

Old April 15th 05, 01:51 AM

I made a typo (Hey,it happens to the best of us sometimes,I am not
perfect,but almost so) on the Ireland thingy.Ireland,Land Area: 68,890
Square KM.Square Kilometers.Now quit cha bitching about it.
cuhulin

Old April 15th 05, 02:38 AM
rchrdprss

"Reader" wrote in message
news:1113519060.41807529ea0c62f78102cbdc981bba11@t eranews...
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:17:09 -0700, rchrdprss wrote:

SNIP..........

The laser hot hits site http://laserhothits.port5.com/ says they output
200W on 6220KHz, 50W on 4025KHz, 50W on 7465KHz, 80W on 9385KHz.

Now, how in the world am I supposed to hear THAT from where I am?????

I will keep my low-level monitoring in place and hope for the best. Are
there any reception reports available for this station, anyone?

RP in central CA

Old April 15th 05, 03:27 AM

Get one of those illegal wetbacks in California to steal a super duper
Shortwave Radio and Antenna for you.Hey,only joking.But I supose a
couple hundred dollars would do the trick.
cuhulin

Old April 15th 05, 04:23 AM
rchrdprss

wrote in message
Get one of those illegal wetbacks in California to steal a super duper
Shortwave Radio and Antenna for you.Hey,only joking.But I supose a
couple hundred dollars would do the trick.
cuhulin

LOL.....................................

Man, I don't know about that though.

I have an "Eavesdropper" from antenna supermarket which cost me a lot, and I
have an "Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper" from universal radio which cost a
"fooken ****e" *, and they are both very good. But they are both about
the same (depending upon frequency, of course) as my 10 dollars worth of 150
ft long wire going from my 3rd floor attic to a tree. way out there..and
hanging down as an inverted "L". 150 odd feet out horizontal and 50 or 60
feet vertical. It works very well especially with a long wire tuner.

My real problem is that I am 880 feet up onto an 1100 foot hill and facing
south. So, I am nowhere near high enough to clear all the obstructions,
like the trees and the hill itself. I have trouble even hearing the local
144 MHz repeaters. The wires all run north - south. Maybe I should try
east- west and see if I get any improvement. Except for the sloper, that
should not matter much.

The place is great on view, but poor on RF reception. We only get one TV
station up here. So I use satellite for TV. And forget Cable, they wanted
a "TON" of money to run cable 2000 feet from the nearest pole with cable to
my house. I told them to forget even asking me in the future, just forget
I am here I said...

I have a satellite ISP, it's nice and fast when the kids are not tying it
up with their games.

Maybe I can get one of those wetbacks to build a 400 ft tower for me!

(Sorry, I had to do that)

RP in central CA

On the coast and seeing lots of fog tonight.

* fooken ****e is a reference for our Irish friends J

Radio call letters: What do they mean? Mike Terry Broadcasting 34 March 7th 05 03:47 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM