Old April 18th 05, 05:02 AM
Michael A. Terrell

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Hey! Don't leave Kentucky out of that game! Broke Leg Falls,
anyone?

I wonder if that's close to Bean Station, TN?

I'm not putting anyone or anywhere down, that's for
sure. I'm an Iowegian by birth, and Iowa has some
good 'uns, like What Cheer and Lost Nation.

Then there's Embarrass, WI (and MN), and plenty
others, if I think long and hard, I'll bet I can come up
with a list.

73,

Steve Lawrence

I think those types of town names show that the people had a good
sense of humor when naming a town, even in hard times. There is an old,
small community in Ohio called Blue Ball. The signpost is a large blue
ball erected in 1823 for people who couldn't read. The community that
grew up around it took on the name Blue Ball.

Quote: Thomas VAIL built a log-house at what is now the Blue Ball, in
1821, and kept entertainment. He sold to Jonathan EMMONS in 1823, who
erected a sign in front of his house, which was simply a round ball
painted blue. The place derived its name from this circumstance. The
blue ball has been conspicuously displayed continuously ever since.

from: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohbutler/cyc/623.htm

When you drive north out of Middletown Ohio on I-75 one of the
overpasses has a sign "Germantown Road" There is a similar overpass on
I-75 near gainsville Florida with the same name on the same kind of
sign. Kind of makes you homesick, sometimes.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old April 18th 05, 05:14 AM

There is a town in Pennsylvania by the name of Intercourse.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 05, 05:18 AM

I ever put any U.S.A.States down.Hawaii to Maine,Alaska to Florida,it is
all U.S.A.to me.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 05, 07:38 PM
Ian Smith

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
"Ian Smith" wrote:

Would've been easier to just type in China (and once only),
surely?

I think he was referring to the village of Slanteyed Chinkland,
Texas.

Texas is famous for its odd town names (f.e., Possum Trot).

I think.

73,

--
Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Interesting.

In Scotland there are 2 villages by the names of Moscow and Windy
Yett. And there's a small island with lighthouse somewhere called
Muckle Flugga. Amongst other things....

Old April 18th 05, 08:30 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Ian Smith" wrote:
Interesting.

In Scotland there are 2 villages by the names of Moscow and Windy Yett.
And there's a small island with lighthouse somewhere called Muckle Flugga.
Amongst other things....

The last time I was in North Minneapolis, I believe
a passerby called me a Muckle Flugga. I *think*
that's what they called me, at least....

73,

Steve

Old April 18th 05, 11:07 PM
Buzzygirl

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message

The last time I was in North Minneapolis, I believe
a passerby called me a Muckle Flugga. I *think*
that's what they called me, at least....

If you actually had your car window down while driving through North
Minneapolis (or, worse yet, if you were *on foot*) then you're one brave
muckle flugga. :-)

Jackie

Old April 19th 05, 01:51 AM

There is at least one town in U.S.A.by the name of Moscow,I don't
remember which U.S.State though.I do not believe any
Cities,Towns,Hamlets,Villages or anywhere in U.S.A.should have names
that are names of any Foreign places,Period!
cuhulin

Old April 19th 05, 02:19 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message

The last time I was in North Minneapolis, I believe
a passerby called me a Muckle Flugga. I *think*
that's what they called me, at least....

If you actually had your car window down while driving through North
Minneapolis (or, worse yet, if you were *on foot*) then you're one brave
muckle flugga. :-)

Jackie

Ahh, beautiful North Minneapolis! Land of the Cracksmiths' Guild!

(chuckling)

Old April 19th 05, 02:29 AM
Honus

wrote in message
There is at least one town in U.S.A.by the name of Moscow,I don't
remember which U.S.State though.

Idaho. See what you miss by ignoring me?

I do not believe any
Cities,Towns,Hamlets,Villages or anywhere in U.S.A.should have names
that are names of any Foreign places,Period!
cuhulin

Oh...my...God.