Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 19th 05, 11:08 PM
David

Default Potential problems with the ICOM PCR1000 re installation on a pentium IV XP System?

This old pipe smoker, at one time in his younger more adventurous years
in Vietnam and elsewhere, was among other things a military
communications intercept operator AKA DittyBopper. The old bug has
bitten me and I'm considering entering the SWL-DX hobby and I'd
appreciate some equipment recommendations from any of you kind
gentlemena nd ladies.

At present I am considering that ICOM PCP1000-02 PC driven semi
broadband receiver with the DSP module and the upgraged BONITO 5.2
software package. The following is the link to the ICOM page describing
this unit.

http://www.icomamerica.com/pro=ADduc...ivers/pcr1000/

I am not sure if this system will be compatible with my XP home 3gig
plus hyper-thrading Pentium IV, 2 gig RAM PC etc system which does not
have a 3.5 floppy drive. The commercials for the PCR1000 states its
ICOM software is on 3.5 inch floppies but a retailer tells me
otherwise. GROAN.

So to you computer gurus who happen to be SWL-HAM experts, any problem
burning the floppies to seperate CDs and installing the ICOM software
in that manner, or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should
justgo with a tabletop broadband model? If so specific recommendations
would be apprecaited. I'd love to have an ICOM R9000.

Yes. Yes. I sent an E-mail to ICOM. Silence thus far, and I suspect the
competency of all sales personnel whose only interest is making a
comissioned sale.

Thanks in advance for any (useful)input.=20

David(N)