Old April 28th 05, 02:16 AM
Andrey Savvin

Default How is Grundik YB400PE

Hi,
I am going to buy 400PE. How is it good?
Thanks.

Old April 28th 05, 02:28 AM
Dan

Quite good..

Look here..\/

& here \/

http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm

Old April 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Li-Changchun

GrundiK indeed
Ancient design
Over priced in its category.
Performance is ordinaire and worse on certain bands.
Ergonomics s**ks
Only 40 memories.
Eats 6 AA batteries like water.
Speaker sound is over rated.
Its ugly.

Get the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
The latest design in its class.
The best by far in its price class.
Excellent performance across all bands.
Very good image rejection.
Ergonomics is excellent.
100 Memories
Synch detector.
Good 4 AA battery use.
Its smaller than the YB400.
Speaker sound is treble biased but certainly decent.
(Older listeners may prefer it over the bassy YB400.)
Headphone sound is superb.

Old April 28th 05, 03:06 AM
m II

Li-Changchun wrote:

Speaker sound is treble biased but certainly decent.
(Older listeners may prefer it over the bassy YB400.)

...and what is this particular bit of advice based on? I would think the HIGH end
the audio spectrum suffers most in aging ears, thus making the lower ranges
preferable.

mike

Old April 28th 05, 05:02 AM
D. Martin

I have a YB400. I like it. I've had other radios too, and this Grundig
is outstanding. Darren

Old April 28th 05, 04:08 PM
Al Patrick

I second that!

====

Old April 28th 05, 11:27 AM
Tr

I am going to buy 400PE. How is it good?
Thanks.

You shoul read eHAM website. There is good discussion about various
brands, also Grundig YB400:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/816

I myself got YB400 almost 2 years ago. Preferred it to Sangean ATS909
based on reviews praising Yacht Boy's very good FM performance, (and
it was little bit cheaper too).

Overall I'm quite satisfied with it - looks nice, is not too big for
travelling, ok battery life and has good sensitivity. At least FM and
SW are definitely better than with my old workhorse - DUX TR 2810
SW/AM/FM receiver
SSB is usable also, only needs sort of responsive finger for
fine-tuning those broadcasts.
One thing I like very much is that those 40 memory slots can be mixed
and matched between any band.

Remarks: I wish an option to turn LCD light continuously on at least
when AC adapter is used.

Having used this radio for some time now I got to a conclusion that it
is really sad not to have a tuning dial on this fine radio receiver.
This is matter of taste of course but by my opinion it is much more
convenient to use dial for surfing trough those MW and SW channels.

So if I have to happen to buy a replacement for my Yacht Boy 400PE
then probably I'm gonna look for a model with the same price,
features, performance and battery life, but only with rotary tuning
knob.

Tr

Old April 28th 05, 04:59 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

"Andrey Savvin" wrote in news:Ju-
:

Hi,
I am going to buy 400PE. How is it good?
Thanks.

Buy ANYTHING but the Sony 7600GR.

Gawd, how hackneyed the sound of it is anymore. It's like selling a woman
a car, it has to be RED.

300,000,000 people in this country, and before we're done, there will
only be one radio to buy since everybody has to have the same friggin
model. It's a good thing that we didn't have computers years ago to do
online model comparisons, else we would only have had one model of
everything. Look at all the antique radios, people actually bought
different things years ago, they didn't want the same that everyone else
had.

Buy the Grundig, it's a nice radio. Buy a Sangean, they have several
choose from. If you resist the Sony, you will be pummeled with "the other
radios don't have synchronous detection". So what. I have the Sony
7600GR, a Radio Shack DX-398, a Radio Shack DX-396, a Yaesu FRG-100, an
Icom R-75, and a Radio Shack DX-302.

Trust me, there is not that much difference between the portables in
similar price categories. I use the Radio Shack DX-396 more than the Sony
since the DX-396 has longer battery life and the antenna is used
retracted below 7000 (or so) KHz.

The Sony has better battery life than the DX-398 and is slightly more
sensitive, BUT the DX-398 has many more features, front panel selection
of Sideband, with separate selection of USB and LSB, a Dial for tuning on
the side, etc.

Years ago, there was an off beat comedy show, "The Young Ones", from
England. In one skit, there was supposedly a Swedish man talking to a
friend. One man was asked by the other what kind of car he had, and he
replied "A Volvo". In turn, he asked his friend what kind of car he had,
and he replied, in an exaggerated tone "I own a Volvo". Substitute Sony
7600GR for Volvo, and, of course, radio for car.

Buy anything but the Sony. If you are buying the Grundig used, and the
price is right, and the radio is fully functional, buy it without
question. If you are buying new, and have the money, consider the DX-398
(available as the ATS 909 from Sangean).

If you have the money, buy a tabletop radio while you can. I believe that
the Icom R-75 was discontinued, but still available, and possibly the
Yaesu FRG-100 was also discontinued, but is still available. You WILL SEE
a difference in performance between the tabletop units and the portables.
There is also the Palstar R30, designed and made in the U.S.
http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

http://store.advancedmart.com/rasu909moand.html

Good luck, have fun. I'm going to killfile this thread since I don't wish
to see the pandemonium that ensues as others push the Sony as well as the
Grundig and others.

Dr. Artaud
Old April 28th 05, 04:24 PM
Al Patrick

€ Dr. Artaud € wrote:

"Andrey Savvin" wrote in news:Ju-
:

Hi,
I am going to buy 400PE. How is it good?
Thanks.

Buy ANYTHING but the Sony 7600GR.

I also use a 7600GR and love it. I probably use it more than the YB400.
At least it is a bit easier on batteries. YB400 = 6; 7600GR = 4;
Kaito 102 = 3 batteries each.

I prefer sticking with the even numbers for the simple reason that you
*may* wish to charge your batteries outside the radio (i.e. the Kaito
102) and few external chargers will charge an odd number of batteries so
you either put a charged one in a charger with a discharged one or make
some attempt at charging only one battery. Aside from that the Kaito
102 is a fine little radio. For some reason mine does not want to
charge the batteries properly in the radio - thus the previous comments.
I may just need to spread the prongs on the charger to make a better
contact, but with several external chargers I haven't bothered.

I have several different mAh sizes. Those in the Kaito 102 are 1300,
some Panasonics are 1600 and some Energizers are 2500 mAh. Go with the
largest mAh batteries that you can locate and you'll spend less time
swapping batteries or charging them. Also, get plenty of the same size
batteries so you don't find yourself attempting to charge different
sizes/ratings.

I have two cheap chargers that will charge different mAh batteries but
the more expensive one will not work with a charged and a discharged
battery or two different mAh batteries, the best I can recall right now.

YB400PE power glitch Brian Connors Shortwave 3 November 7th 04 11:12 PM
Sears Canada special (S350 + Mini100PE) or YB400PE? Frank Shortwave 7 April 14th 04 07:45 PM
Grundig YB400PE won't turn on Ken Knecht Shortwave 4 February 22nd 04 04:51 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig YB400PE Mods?? cledus Shortwave 0 December 17th 03 11:19 PM