Old May 5th 05, 01:54 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Gary Schnabl wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
DE & GS,

AA's biggest foe for a slice of the "Talk Radio" Pie
is not Rush Limbaugh, it is 1200+ 'local' NPR Stations
and their "Soft Message" {Enlightened} Liberal Programming.
NPR has a Long Term Listenership {Generational} that goes
back for many more years then Rush Limbaugh has been on
the Air with his "Stick".
.
and that's my opinion ~ RHF

Who knows? Maybe AA will take a page from NPR's book and start begging for
money...

This week Franken said, on air, that they expected to start turning a
profit latter this year.

They're doing fine.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old May 5th 05, 04:37 PM
David

On Thu, 05 May 2005 14:39:00 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

Actually, less than 20% of the AA affiliates are owned by Clear Channel.

Isn't it 22/56? To be 47 by the year's end?

I only see 10 to 12 CCU stations on the list.

''Clear Channel adopts liberal programming on growing number of
stations
February 17, 2005, 2:49 PM

DETROIT (AP) -- The day before President Bush's inauguration,
listeners tuning in to the Detroit sports station WXDX-AM were
suddenly greeted by the sound of braying donkeys. By the time Bush was
taking the oath of office, the radio station had new call letters and
a full schedule of liberal talk shows.

WXDX-AM -- now known as WDTW-AM -- is one of 22 stations owned by
Clear Channel Communications Inc. that have switched to a liberal talk
format in the last year. This month, KTLK-AM in Los Angeles became the
latest Clear Channel station to adopt the format.''

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/...1_20050217.htm

Old May 5th 05, 04:39 PM
David Eduardo

wrote:

Actually, less than 20% of the AA affiliates are owned by Clear Channel.

Isn't it 22/56? To be 47 by the year's end?

I only see 10 to 12 CCU stations on the list.

''Clear Channel adopts liberal programming on growing number of
stations
February 17, 2005, 2:49 PM

DETROIT (AP) -- The day before President Bush's inauguration,
listeners tuning in to the Detroit sports station WXDX-AM were
suddenly greeted by the sound of braying donkeys. By the time Bush was
taking the oath of office, the radio station had new call letters and
a full schedule of liberal talk shows.

WXDX-AM -- now known as WDTW-AM -- is one of 22 stations owned by
Clear Channel Communications Inc. that have switched to a liberal talk
format in the last year. This month, KTLK-AM in Los Angeles became the
latest Clear Channel station to adopt the format.''

Check the list on the Website. the news article could, perhaps, be referring
to the number of stations that had switched recently under any ownership,
not necessarily CCU. Or, I counted wrong. In any case, they are just
affiliates.

Old May 5th 05, 05:57 PM
David

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:39:57 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Los Angeles, Portland OR, Santa Barbara, San Diego, SF, Cinci,
Columbus, Denver, Detroit, Madison, Ashville NC, Boston (2 sticks),
Charleston SC, Miami, New Haven, West Palm, Washington DC.

I probably missed a couple.

CCU:

Clear Channel
Capstar
Citicasters
AM/FM
Jacor

Old May 5th 05, 08:44 PM

David Eduardo wrote:
"Gary Schnabl" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
*In anticipation of a format switch under owner Newsweb Corp.,

WAIT-AM
(850)
changes call letters today to WCPT (for "Chicago's Progressive

Talk").
Picking up WAIT's call letters is Newsweb's WSCN-AM (820).
As tipped here in February, expect an announcement any day that

the
suburban
daytime station will become a showcase for the liberal voices of

Air
America
Radio's Al Franken, Jerry Springer and Randi Rhodes along with

Jones
Radio
Networks' Ed Schultz. "

I used to pick up WAIT in the early 1970s when I lived in

Reeseville WI
near
Waterloo. Weren't they originally the station on 820? They had a

fairly
decent signal back then.

820 is 820. 850 is 850. Just the call letters have moved around. 850

is a
horrible signal.

With OK reception in DT Chicago, even on a walkman. Should be OK in
WISC.

JG

Old May 6th 05, 03:40 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message
news:16b7f$427a2948$d8c4c9e6 That big
test is happening now in Cincy, where some of AA's
content is on one of two clear channel stations
in the area (WCKY). For comparision, Rush, Savage
and the gang are not on the other clear channel station,
WLW, but are on 550 WKRC, which has significantly
less reach than WCKY.

550 has better daytime coverage and overall coverage of the local market
than 1530. As a rule of thumb, 1 kw on 540 is equal to 50 kw on 1600 at the
same location, so 550 and 1530 are going to get about equal local
coverage... with 550 winning in some areas.

Snip

What is the basis of this power/frequency rule?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old May 6th 05, 04:14 AM
Brenda Ann

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message
news:16b7f$427a2948$d8c4c9e6 That big
test is happening now in Cincy, where some of AA's
content is on one of two clear channel stations
in the area (WCKY). For comparision, Rush, Savage
and the gang are not on the other clear channel station,
WLW, but are on 550 WKRC, which has significantly
less reach than WCKY.

550 has better daytime coverage and overall coverage of the local market
than 1530. As a rule of thumb, 1 kw on 540 is equal to 50 kw on 1600 at

the
same location, so 550 and 1530 are going to get about equal local
coverage... with 550 winning in some areas.

Snip

What is the basis of this power/frequency rule?

Brain fade.. I accidentally posted this response in the wrong thread (then
inadvertantly clicked too many times and sent a blank answer here)

I can't vouch for the exact math, but it has to do with ground conductivy
and I squared R losses versus frequency. Lower frequencies have better
ground conductivity (hence ground wave) than higher ones. Much more of the
signal is sky wave at the high end of the dial. Many 50KW stations on the
high end of the dial don't even cover their service areas at night (When I
lived in west Portland, OR, in the 70's, I used to get nearly as much signal
on 1520 from KOMA in OKC as I did from (what was then KYXI) on the same
frequency a few miles away in Clackamas.

Old May 6th 05, 04:42 AM
Bob Haberkost

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

| "Michael Lawson" wrote in message
| news:16b7f$427a2948$d8c4c9e6 That big
| test is happening now in Cincy, where some of AA's
| content is on one of two clear channel stations
| in the area (WCKY). For comparision, Rush, Savage
| and the gang are not on the other clear channel station,
| WLW, but are on 550 WKRC, which has significantly
| less reach than WCKY.

| 550 has better daytime coverage and overall coverage of the local market
| than 1530. As a rule of thumb, 1 kw on 540 is equal to 50 kw on 1600 at the
| same location, so 550 and 1530 are going to get about equal local
| coverage... with 550 winning in some areas.

David - I take exception to this assertion. Sure, low-end ground wave is
better...MUCH better...than the high end, but it's more like a factor of 5,
maybe 10...not 50. In fact, referenencing the FCC graphs available as PDFs, the
560kHz graph shows that, for the 20mmhos conductivity curve, for example, the
curve intersects 10mV/m at 9.6km, whereas for the 1550kHz graph, this point is
at 7.6km....hardly even a factor of 2, and when squared (for coverage area) only
a factor of 1.5 or so. So, sure, a 1kW station may have decent coverage at
550kHz of perhaps 1000 sq.km, but a 50kW operation at 1600 kHz is still going to
have much, much more.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old May 6th 05, 04:48 AM
Bob Haberkost

This is the authoritative source: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/73184/index.html