Old May 5th 05, 08:36 AM
mike maghakian

well then everyone should be buying a 350 and saving $2500.

if they were so close, what was worth the extra $2500. that is a lot to pay
for one feature

My friend Dean is pretty much an authority on the 340 and says the sync is
not that good.

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think that most of the 340 owners out there would think you are crazy
if
you say they are similar receivers ("not a whole lot of difference")! I
know
my friend Dean would groan if I told him what you said !

"Les" wrote in message

oups.com...

Bill Crocker wrote:
Interested in hearing opinions on Ten-Tec's RX-350D HF receiver.

It's very
expensive, and it doesn't appear to be in wide use.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill Crocker

I had one for over a year, it had the optional remote keypad and the
latest V1.15 software update. I thought it was a good receiver,
sensitive, lots of bandwidth choices (34 I think), good audio, good
agc, decent synchronous detector if properly used. The only reason I
sold mine was to buy a Ten Tec RX-340. I actually ran them side by

side
for over a month before selling the 350D, not a whole lot of

difference
between the two receivers imho. I think the biggest gripe most owners

have about it is the seemingly indifference by Ten Tec to updates on
the software which has a couple of minor (IMHO) bugs.

Les Locklear

Well, they both heard the same signals, both had decent audio, both
were "dead on" as far as frequency readout. Sure the 340 has 58
bandwidths vs, 34 for the 350D. Yes, the 340 has a better synchronous
detector. But, the 350D has a better noise reduction and blanking
system. It's not like I just started using receivers Mike, I'm 62 years
old and have owned more receivers than some small dealers have sold.
I'm just relating my experiences with the two receivers. I have an
extensive antenna system and a real good multicoupler, so it was an
equal test imho.

Les

Les

Old May 5th 05, 08:38 AM
mike maghakian

if you do buy a 350, a used one is very cheap since no one wants it. usually
they are less than $800 and stay on the market quite a long time

Universal has had one in their used section for a few weeks and it usually
takes them over a month to sell one.

Old May 5th 05, 04:13 PM
dxAce

Les wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:
well then everyone should be buying a 350 and saving $2500.

if they were so close, what was worth the extra $2500. that is a lot

to pay
for one feature

My friend Dean is pretty much an authority on the 340 and says the

sync is
not that good.

Well, I didn't pay that much money for it, it was purchased used for
$2,650.

Yep, everyone is an authority on anything if you want to believe them.

Universal had one up used a few weeks ago, if I recall they were asking
something like $2900 for it and I think it also came with a cabinet. It didn't
last to long.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 5th 05, 04:25 PM
Les

dxAce wrote:
Les wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:
[...]

Thats right! I bought a new Hammond cabinet for $108, and I could
easily get more than I have invested in it should I decide to sell.
It's impressive in the cabinet, 21" wide, 7-1/4" high and 13" deep. The
tuning is as smooth as I have ever experienced, the buttons and keypad
all have a great feel and those three displays are great. The S Meter
buld has been changed to a blue to match the blue fluorescent displays
(like the older Drakes), all in all, it is a fine receiver.

Les

Old May 5th 05, 06:26 PM
Al

I own both the 350 and an Icom R75. For general program listening, I prefer
the 350. It has great audio, and the 12kHz output allows you to experiment
with DRM. When it comes to NDB listening in the low frequency end, the R75
is my receiver of choice. If I had to do it again, I would do it the same
way, buy both. If I absolutely had to choose one, my interest in the
lowband would favor the R75.

Al KA5JGV

Old May 6th 05, 03:59 AM
Telamon

"Les" wrote in message

[...]

Can you define "the sync is not that good" a little better?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 6th 05, 06:10 AM
mike maghakian

you can read his review he

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3757

he is DEAN, N2JSG

Old May 6th 05, 06:13 AM
mike maghakian

read these reviews of the RX-340, I don't think that they would say the 350
and 340 are about the same/////////

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3757

for that matter, read Magnes reviews, I don't think he would say they are
similar either........

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 6th 05, 02:06 PM
Les

mike maghakian wrote:
read these reviews of the RX-340, I don't think that they would say

the 350
and 340 are about the same/////////

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3757

for that matter, read Magnes reviews, I don't think he would say they

are
similar either........

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Crocker wrote:
[...]

Opinions are like assholes Mike, everyone has one and lots of them
stink. I operated both receiver side by side and i stated my opinion.
Magne isn't the end all for receiver reviews ya know.

I know you had a bad experience and seem to have a hard on for Ten Tec.
That is your opinion and right.

Mine differed from yours.

Les

Old May 7th 05, 03:51 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

you can read his review he

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3757

he is DEAN, N2JSG

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.

"Les" wrote in message

[...]

OK, out of six reviews one person mentioned the same complaint I have
with the sync losing lock on rapidly fading signals so I can't agree
with your friends statement that the sync is not that good. The sync is
very good other than that one performance problem.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California