Old May 8th 05, 01:58 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

Default OT offered as Humor. Confessions of a stupid man.

I'm sure that the subject line of this post is of no surprise to many of
you, but here I put it in writing. I have a Gateway Laptop computer, a
very nice one, 15 inch viewable screen, CD/DVD drive, etc. But wait, the
CD drive is writable. Still no revelation you say? True, but, in my
feeble mind, I have pondered a question, for nearly a year I have
wondered if the CD drive is merely writable or is it a rewritable drive?

Hmmm, difficult question for me, a real brain I am. Anyway, yesterday the
quest began anew. I looked at the properties in the Control Panel under
System, not conclusive. I looked in Multimedia, I used Norton's Utilities
System Info, etc. Nothing.

How was I to solve this dilemma ever plaguing me, I needed to know? Ah, I
stumbled upon the Gateway site, entered my serial number, they
acknowledged that my warranty is good well into 2006, they still know who
I am. I look under the various items that they offer concerning my
computer, ah yes, they have a section on the CD/DVD drive. This certainly
must yield the answer. I eagerly opened the section concerned, perusing
the various information that is designed to help the computer illiterate
gain some information about their machines. Yes yes, they have the
answer, I finally, after nearly a year, know exactly what type of drive
that I have.

The answer was, are you ready for this, to look on the door of the CD
tray, written as clear as day, on my computer, it says "CD Rewritable DVD
ROM Drive". Mind you that the door is on the side of the computer, I
guess far be it from me to have actually looked at it.

A real brain I am.

The day wasn't entirely without merit though. My laptop computer seems
like it runs hot. I have elevated the computer using oversize feet. I
have used the dust blower sprays available in a can, clearing the fan
intake on the bottom of the computer, as well as the discharge slots on
the rear, yet it never seemed like it was good enough, the fan runs much
too often. Online sites advocated disassembly of the laptop, so that
impacted dust and hairs etc. can be removed from the fan and cooling
assemblies. Being that the computer is under warranty, I did not wish to
damage anything that may invalidate same. Anyway, Gateway has a section
on the user replacing the keyboard in the laptop. I figured that I could
gain access to the fan with the keyboard removed. So I indeed removed the
keyboard, easily accessed the fan, and found a hair ball. I dust sprayed
the inside, including the heat sink assembly. The processor seems to have
a flattened copper tube in intimate contact with it, and this tube in
turn goes to the heat sink fins (I use these terms loosely), whereupon
the air blows across them from the fan. The flattened tube may contain a
gas/liquid, as the end is finished like a refrigeration sensing bulb
would be. Anybody have any insights into these?

Dr. Artaud
Old May 8th 05, 04:00 PM
BDK

In article , =A4NoSuchThing
says...
I'm sure that the subject line of this post is of no surprise to many of=

=20
you, but here I put it in writing. I have a Gateway Laptop computer, a=

=20
very nice one, 15 inch viewable screen, CD/DVD drive, etc. But wait, the=

=20
CD drive is writable. Still no revelation you say? True, but, in my=20
feeble mind, I have pondered a question, for nearly a year I have=20
wondered if the CD drive is merely writable or is it a rewritable drive?
=20
Hmmm, difficult question for me, a real brain I am. Anyway, yesterday the=

=20
quest began anew. I looked at the properties in the Control Panel under=

=20
System, not conclusive. I looked in Multimedia, I used Norton's Utilities=

=20
System Info, etc. Nothing.=20
=20
How was I to solve this dilemma ever plaguing me, I needed to know? Ah, I=

=20
stumbled upon the Gateway site, entered my serial number, they=20
acknowledged that my warranty is good well into 2006, they still know who=

=20
I am. I look under the various items that they offer concerning my=20
computer, ah yes, they have a section on the CD/DVD drive. This certainly=

=20
must yield the answer. I eagerly opened the section concerned, perusing=

=20
the various information that is designed to help the computer illiterate=

=20
gain some information about their machines. Yes yes, they have the=20
answer, I finally, after nearly a year, know exactly what type of drive=

=20
that I have.
=20
The answer was, are you ready for this, to look on the door of the CD=20
tray, written as clear as day, on my computer, it says "CD Rewritable DVD=

=20
ROM Drive". Mind you that the door is on the side of the computer, I=20
guess far be it from me to have actually looked at it.=20
=20
A real brain I am.=20
=20
The day wasn't entirely without merit though. My laptop computer seems=20
like it runs hot. I have elevated the computer using oversize feet. I=20
have used the dust blower sprays available in a can, clearing the fan=20
intake on the bottom of the computer, as well as the discharge slots on=

=20
the rear, yet it never seemed like it was good enough, the fan runs much=

=20
too often. Online sites advocated disassembly of the laptop, so that=20
impacted dust and hairs etc. can be removed from the fan and cooling=20
assemblies. Being that the computer is under warranty, I did not wish to=

=20
damage anything that may invalidate same. Anyway, Gateway has a section=

=20
on the user replacing the keyboard in the laptop. I figured that I could=

=20
gain access to the fan with the keyboard removed. So I indeed removed the=

=20
keyboard, easily accessed the fan, and found a hair ball. I dust sprayed=

=20
the inside, including the heat sink assembly. The processor seems to have=

=20
a flattened copper tube in intimate contact with it, and this tube in=20
turn goes to the heat sink fins (I use these terms loosely), whereupon=20
the air blows across them from the fan. The flattened tube may contain a=

=20
gas/liquid, as the end is finished like a refrigeration sensing bulb=20
would be. Anybody have any insights into these?=20
=20
Dr. Artaud=20
=20

One more thing you might have realized..Have you ever even seen an NON=20
rewritable CD burner?? I haven't. Ever. Even going back to 1X drives..
I guess they might have existed, a long time ago...

Sounds like you have a heat pipe and there probably is liquid in it.=20
There are a lot of aftermarket CPU heat sinks with them.=20

BDK
Old May 8th 05, 04:17 PM
m II

BDK wrote:

One more thing you might have realized..

I push on doors marked 'Pull' constantly. When they don't open, I push harder.
My male companion of many years encourages me too..push HARDER, dxAce, he says.
He is funny. Sometimes he says that in private, too. I'm sure he says it to
remind me of the NEXT time I get confused in front of a door.

dxAce II
Old May 8th 05, 05:57 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

BDK wrote in
:

I use the Plug and Pray system of computer operation, but I am somewhat
advanced compared to the man that thought his CD tray was a Drink Holder.
Probably an urband legend, supposedly the Drink Holder issue was fielded
by Tech service of some company, a man was calling for a replacement as
his Drink Holder had broken off.

As I look again at the PDF file that I saved, the differentiation that
Gateway makes is:

1. CD Drive
2. DVD Drive
3. CD-RW/DVD Drive

As you stated, CDR is not even an option.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Old May 9th 05, 12:47 AM

Dr. Artaud, that "copper pipe in coantact with the CPU" is a heat pipe.
It will conduct more BTUs/caleries/joules of heat then an equal sized
piece of silver. As a matter of fact I think it is about 50 times more
effective. It has a liquid, alchol most commonlly, that evaporates and
carries the heat to the far end where the vpaour condenses, giving up
the heat. I have one slavaged from a defunct laptop this will carry a
much
larger heat load then I expected.
Edmonds Scientiffic used to carry them and may still. A very
interesting
way to move heat in a dense package without "moving", or active parts.
Terry

Old May 9th 05, 12:45 PM

=80 Dr. Artaud =80 :
Check out:
http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

And this one shows an intersting way to cheat
the laws of physics and remove more water vapour
in an aircondiditoner. A friend is a electtrician and
he thouhgt the idea was insane. Unitl his client
showed him the reduced cooling bills.
http://www.heatpipe.com/heatpipes.htm

Another explanation claiming 1000 times more
heat moving capacity then the best solid coductor.
http://www.thermomax.com/Heat_Pipe.htm

Edmund Scientific used to carry Heat Pipes and their
older (paper) catalogs had a good detailed explanation
of how they work. They are interesting to play with.=20

Terry