Old May 29th 05, 03:36 AM

Rick Kunath wrote:
"John Plimmer" wrote (in part):

I would sell kidney or other spare body part tonight to buy one.
However I live less then 4 miles from a littlel 1KW MW on 770.
And we a few fairly local power houses at 590 and 630 and 1300.
On the 7030+ I could receive the 770+590 fairly strong the , the
770+630
and and the 770+1300 very strong. In a nearby park about twice as far
from the 770 station as my home, I get no mix products. The 770 is so
strong that it will show up in most receivers even with the antenna
disconnected and replaced with a 50 ohm terminator.

Is there any possibility that you have the rear-panel pre-amp turned on in
the 7030?

What happens when you add in 10 dB or so of attenuation?

Rick Kunath

I tried adding 10 db attenuation and even more, but it didn't help.

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 03:53 AM

Telamon wrote:

The 7030 has a metal case and so is shielded. This looks like a good
case of the BCB station coming in on the power cord through the house
wiring. With the 50 ohm resistor on the antenna terminal use a RF choke
on the DC power cord to the radio to see if the AM station goes away.
Same should work for any other radio that has a metal case.

The non-shielded radios may have the RF go through the case as an
additional path to consider.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I was really suprised by the R390 and R392. In these receivers
the RF was getting in through the audio line. High level RF is hard
to completly supress. At least the 770 station cleaned up their
harmonics. A nice letter with the comment that I would hate for them
to get fined for improper operation got the problem solved within
a week. The 1540, 2310 and 3850 were very strong.
No 4rth harmonic at all.

A high pass filter ruled out my receivers.

I wonder how many people have MW ingress and don't know it.
Sometime "real soon" I am going to psot the results of my RF
week end and how bad normal single or double brain only coax
is. By bad, I mean allows LW/MW and HF if any stations are
close or strong enough to leak in even with out an antenna connected.
I tested 100' of various good quality (Belden) coax. and one run of
200' (borrowed) run of triax.

Terry

Terry

Old May 29th 05, 04:06 AM

I considered this, but I think the problem is too severe...especially
since the HF-150, with its notiously weak front end, is not as badly
affected. Also, tonight I noticed an image not just of a powerhouse
broadcast station here in NYC, but of a relatively strong shortwave
signal (Radio China International). I think a little bench time is
required to correct this problem.

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 04:15 AM

Rick Kunath wrote:
Is there any possibility that you have the rear-panel pre-amp turned on
in
the 7030?

What happens when you add in 10 dB or so of attenuation?

Rick Kunath
Preamp was off.
Attenuation didn't mater.
It was reduced with a 50 Ohm termanator on the antenna
port but not eliminated.

Wasn't bad enough to be a problem, after all if a R390 and the R392,
completly shielded in a tough aluminium case with 4 1/4" bolts per side
of the front pannel, that amke good contact witht he front panel and
the
case, both received the 770KHz signal, I wan't suprised the 7030+
and almost every other receiver I have tried picks it up.

I would consider selling a kidney tonight, if legal, to get one. I
LOVED
the receiver. Sadly the ARM and QRN noise floor is my limiting factor,
even my R2000s don't reach their internal noise floor because of the
external crap.

But the selection of filters, the synch detector, tunning steps,
optional
PC control make the 7030+ my dream receiver. At my QTH any signal
I could receive with the 7030+ I could receive with either of R2000s.
But the synch detector is magic. The better filters allow listening to
weak signals that will give you a head ach on the R2000s. Signals
that are dificult to impossible to understand on the R2000 are hard
much easier to understand. I can't explain the difference, reminds me
of the tube/valve HiFi debate, but I will never be satisfied unitl I
have
my own 7030+. Even with similar bandwidths the 7030+ is the clear
winner. And it isn't just a pahse noise issue. Comparing it to a R390
and R392 in a friends fairly RFquite country home, the 7030+ beat
the R390 and R392 in weak signal "understandability". I don't have
a scale to measure it, or even words to really discribe it, but the
7030+ is just "cleaner". The R39X have "no" phase noise. I had
always writtensome of the less then perfect weak signal performance
of the R2000 to phase noise. I now know that isn't the whole story.
Don't get me wrong, for what I have in my R2000 they are great
receivers. Kind of like comparing a Toyota Camray to a Lamborghini.
The Camray will get you there, but the Lamborghini will really get you
there.

The only improvement for the AOR 7030+ that I can think of is a
90% price reduction.

I would gladly trade my PCs and all of my radios, ham gear included
for a 7030+.

Terry

Old May 29th 05, 06:27 AM
Pete KE9OA

The 7030 has a low-pass image reject filter that cuts off just above 30MHz,
a low-pass filter that cuts off at 1.7MHz, and a high-pass filter that cuts
off at 1.7MHz, so MW bleedthrough shouldn't be a problem.
If there is enough interest, I will market a 7-band preselector. This will
consist of a low-pass filter for the range below 500kHz, with bandpass
filters for the ranges above 500kHz.
I will use PIN diodes for range changing. Interested parties can e-mail me
directly and we can go from there.

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd be tempted to agree with you if I hadn't compared the 7030+ with my
HF-150 this morning. The HF-150 was significantly less prone to
overload than the 7030+, and I can't believe it would be if the latter
were performing up to specs. I suspect the SD5400 mixer is damaged,
since that's known to produce this sort of problem. I'm also sort of
hoping it's a damaged SD5400 mixer, since that's a relatively easy
thing to fix.

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 06:46 AM

I'm using a Wellbrook 330S antenna and I don't think it's suffering
from any problems. I use it with my other receivers and they seem to
function well with it. Occasionally there's overload on the HF-150, but
it's always pretty minor, not like what I'm experiencing with the 7030.
This makes me suspect the problem isn't with the antenna. I can even
connect my SW77 to this antenna without getting the kind of overload
I'm finding on the 7030.

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 04:22 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
I considered this, but I think the problem is too severe...especially
since the HF-150, with its notiously weak front end, is not as badly
affected. Also, tonight I noticed an image not just of a powerhouse
broadcast station here in NYC, but of a relatively strong shortwave
signal (Radio China International). I think a little bench time is
required to correct this problem.

Steve

So Steve,

does the 7030 feel a lot like the 150 since Mr.Thorpe designed both? Can
you see a lot of the 150 in it? Do you think the 7030 is worth that much
more then the 150? Would you call the 150 the "poor man 7030?"

Lucky