Old May 29th 05, 04:53 PM

"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

The 7030 has a low-pass image reject filter that cuts off just above
30MHz,
a low-pass filter that cuts off at 1.7MHz, and a high-pass filter that
cuts
off at 1.7MHz, so MW bleedthrough shouldn't be a problem.
If there is enough interest, I will market a 7-band preselector. This
will
consist of a low-pass filter for the range below 500kHz, with bandpass
filters for the ranges above 500kHz.
I will use PIN diodes for range changing. Interested parties can e-mail
me
directly and we can go from there.

Pete
Sadly Google beat removes part of email addresses.

Please email me at:
r2000swler
at
hotmail
dot
com
The preselector sounds interesting.

Terry

Old May 29th 05, 08:38 PM
Telamon

In article .com,
wrote:

The case of the 7030 is very solid, like the 150's. The sparse
controls on the front panel is also reminiscent of the 150, as is the
solid tuning knob. Performance wise they're quite different. The 7030
is a DX machine and it feels like it.

My experience with the 7030 is still pretty limited, but I'd have to
say I still favor the R8B overall. I don't mind the ergonomics of the
7030, but the 7030's sync detector, although it's very good, can't
quite lock onto signals as weak as the ones the R8B's can snag, and
often I find that it takes a fair amount of adjusting and knob
twiddling to end up with a signal that's as good as the one you get
right away on the Drake. But the 7030 is great and I especially like
its notch filter. I'm sure lots of people would prefer the 7030 to
the R8B, depending on their preferences and listening styles.

I hope we hear from John Thorpe again one of these days....

I hope so too especially now that Drake has bowed out of the market.

I generally like my 7030+ it is a cool radio and has some features the
Drake R8B does not have like the auto notch, auto filter calibration and
a remote control but I like the Drake R8B more the way it operates and
it generally seems to do a better job of making weak signals listen-able.

I own three table tops RX340, Drake R8B and the 7030+ all of which I
like for different reasons. They are all great radios and I'm pleased to
own all of them.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 30th 05, 05:32 AM
Pete KE9OA

Those are all good radios. I never owned the R8B, but I have played with it,
and it is a very good receiver.
I do have the AOR7030 (original version), along with the HF-150 and the
HF-225. All of them sound similar, and have very similar sensitivity, except
that the 7030 does have better IM rejection.
The HF-225 is similar in sensivity to the HF-150 with the exception that the
HF-150 has better sensivity on the MW band when using the Radio Shack loop
antenna. With a long wire, though, performance is very similar. The HF-150
does seem to have the best bass response of the bunch, while I would
describe the sound of the 7030 as more "open and airy". I think this is
because the 7030 has better treble response.
I think that the slight difference in sound is also because of that Plessey
SL6700 I.F. system that the Lowe receivers used, although the TDA1572 that
the 7030 uses is also a very good chip. I have been using the 1572 in my own
designs for several years.............measured distortion on AM is .3% @1kHz
@60% modulation index.
Even with the 7030's relatively open front end, I don't hear any MW IMD
products on the LW band, while I do hear them on the HF-150. Still, now that
I have added that Lumitex fiber optic backlight panel to my HF-150, it makes
for a great bedside radio.

Pete

Old May 30th 05, 08:36 AM
Pete KE9OA

I understand what you mean..................I go through worldnet, so I see
all of the e-mail addresses.

Pete

"Michael Black" wrote in message

"Pete KE9OA" ) writes:
That's ok........my e-mail address is:

Pete

No, the problem is that google is masking email addresses in the newsgroup
archive. This started with the new interface that became the norm
back in December.

Over at google, they show it like:
From: "Pete KE9OA"
and in the body:
my e-mail address is:

I've heard that if one "joins" a group over there (an additional
step beyond registering to post) you do see email addresses, but
I've not tried that.

I suppose the only way to get around it is to use the link for
replying to the author, but I've not tried that either.

Michael

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 31st 05, 12:32 PM

I just spoke with Richard Hillier of AOR UK. He confirmed that the 7030
should not be displaying any of the overload problems I'm encountering,
and he suspects that it is indeed the SD5400 mixer that's the problem.
He also noted something that should interest other 7030 owners out
the namely, that the SD5400 mixer is *very* static sensitive. In
fact, he suspects that mine was damaged when it got zapped at some
point....this is apparently the way it happens most of the time.So,
whenever your plugging in external speakers, headphones or anything
like that, be very careful!

Steve

Old May 31st 05, 04:54 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:
wrote:

I just spoke with Richard Hillier of AOR UK. He confirmed that the 7030
should not be displaying any of the overload problems I'm encountering,
and he suspects that it is indeed the SD5400 mixer that's the problem.
He also noted something that should interest other 7030 owners out
the namely, that the SD5400 mixer is *very* static sensitive. In
fact, he suspects that mine was damaged when it got zapped at some
point....this is apparently the way it happens most of the time.So,
whenever your plugging in external speakers, headphones or anything
like that, be very careful!

Sounds like that AOR stuff is as plagued by problems as the ICOM's are...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

It certainly is a design flaw, in my opinion, to have a critical
component be so vulnerable to static electricity. Of course any
receiver is going to have to have its weak points, but you shouldn't
have to worry every time you plug in an external speaker or a set of
headphones. That's just common sense.

Kind of like the Sony 2010 which seemed prone to static electricity as well.

If there's ever a 7030++, maybe they'll farm some work out to the Drake
designers....

Yeah, the AOR-Drake R9.... and hopefully Drake would put a 'real' S meter on it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA