Old June 21st 05, 05:14 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
wrote:

Here's an update:

I sent the 7030+ to AOR UK. They replaced the SD5400 mixer and one of
the front end supply chokes. Once inside the receiver, they also
found a slightly leaky preamp transformer, so they replaced that
while they were at it. The receiver is working perfectly now...no
more overload. And it sounds great with the Collins filters.

Steve

wrote:
For the last couple of weeks I've been testing out a 7030+. It's a
very nice receiver, all decked out with Collins filters. Until
earlier today, I hadn't used it to listen to anything in the 2-3mhz
range. But, largely because of an earlier thread relating to
intermod and the 7030+'s front end, I decided to put it through its
paces.

To my surprise, there were noticeable images of big broadcast
stations popping up on numerous frequencies. Now mind you, I'm in
Brooklyn, NY and the BCB stations around NYC have to strain even
the sturdiest front end. So, I wasn't all *that* surprised to find
these images. However, it's interesting to note that none of these
images are present on the Drake R8B.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the 7030+, since it's a great
performer with lots of interesting features. I just find this
result a little surprising.

Fortunately, once I put a Kiwa BCB rejection filter in line, the
problem disappeared.

That was quick. How was it shipped and how much did the shipping and
repair cost? Mine is working well but the display is getting dim in
places. The display is readable, it's a cosmetic thing. I was also
thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do you recommend
for program listening?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 21st 05, 05:32 AM
Mark S. Holden

Telamon wrote:
snip

I was also
thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do you recommend
for program listening?

For AM mode I like a filtronetics marked 6.8khz that reads 6.1

For nice fidelity Sideband, I like a filtronetics marked 3.24khz that
reads 2.9

Both are crystal filters originally intended for the Racal 6790/gm.

They have very steep skirts, and the radio sounds beautiful with them.

Old June 21st 05, 12:45 PM

It was shipped UPS, and AOR UK told me they prefer UPS as this
apparently simplifies things with customs. I probably would not have
shipped it to them for a repair that was primarily cosmetic because the
shipping is expensive. It's impossible to say exactly what it would
cost you, since the cost is a function not only of the weight of the
package but also of its dimensions. If you use a large box with lots
and lots of styrofoam, it's going to cost you--and it might cost more
coming from California. I think you should expect it to run at least a
few hundred bucks, though, there and back, unless you cut corners. USPS
might be a little cheaper. If you visit the UPS homepage you can
calculate costs using different measurements and points of origin. I
only did it because the repair was fairly serious and I really like the
receiver, its custom filters, etc.

It's hard for me to recommend filters for this receiver. Mine is decked
out entirely with Collins filters. This wouldn't be to everyone's
taste, but I like it. However, I've never listened to this receiver
with any other kinds of filters, so I can't make an informed
comparison.

Steve

Old June 22nd 05, 03:59 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Telamon wrote: snip

I was also thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do
you recommend for program listening?

For AM mode I like a filtronetics marked 6.8khz that reads 6.1

For nice fidelity Sideband, I like a filtronetics marked 3.24khz that
reads 2.9

Both are crystal filters originally intended for the Racal 6790/gm.

They have very steep skirts, and the radio sounds beautiful with
them.

Is this them?
Filtronetics, Inc.
6010 Parretta Dr
Kansas City, Missouri 64120
UNITED STATES
Phone: 816-231-7375 (Ext. 335)
Fax: 816-241-0368

They don't appear to have a web site. Do you have part numbers on the
6.8 KHz filter? Another question is what did it take to install it in
the 7030+?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 22nd 05, 04:01 AM
Telamon

Telamon wrote:

That was quick. How was it shipped and how much did the shipping and
repair cost? Mine is working well but the display is getting dim in
places. The display is readable, it's a cosmetic thing. I was also
thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do you recommend
for program listening?

Sounds to expensive to send it unless it is not working. No one in the
USA will work on it?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 05, 04:50 AM
Telamon

In article

,

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Telamon wrote: snip

I was also thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do
you recommend for program listening?

For AM mode I like a filtronetics marked 6.8khz that reads 6.1

For nice fidelity Sideband, I like a filtronetics marked 3.24khz that
reads 2.9

Both are crystal filters originally intended for the Racal 6790/gm.

They have very steep skirts, and the radio sounds beautiful with
them.

Is this them?
Filtronetics, Inc.
6010 Parretta Dr
Kansas City, Missouri 64120
UNITED STATES
Phone: 816-231-7375 (Ext. 335)
Fax: 816-241-0368

They don't appear to have a web site. Do you have part numbers on the
6.8 KHz filter? Another question is what did it take to install it in
the 7030+?

I found a web site by them http://www.filtro.net

Here is a page with 455KHz centered crystal filters among others
http://www.filtro.net/products/filters/filters.asp

FN-860W 6 KHz/3 dB - 19 KHz/60 dB
FN-169W 3 KHz/3 dB - 6.2 KHz/60 dB

They don't have any 455 KHz ceramics.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 05, 05:01 AM

Yes, I personally wouldn't go to all that trouble and expense for
something cosmetic.

Before sending mine off to AOR UK, I called Universal to see if anyone
there would touch it, but no dice. They said they repair the ones they
sell, but no others. And to be honest, with all due respect to
Universal, I understand that repairing the 7030+ is quite tricky. The
folks at AOR UK told me that, when they were selling the 7030+ in the
US, the technicians at AOR USA were not very good at repairing them. I
don't know why the 7030+ would be more difficult to repair than any
other high-end consumer grade receiver, but that's what I was told.

Steve

Old June 22nd 05, 05:44 AM
Mark S. Holden

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Telamon wrote: snip

I was also thinking of getting some better filters for it. What do
you recommend for program listening?

For AM mode I like a filtronetics marked 6.8khz that reads 6.1

For nice fidelity Sideband, I like a filtronetics marked 3.24khz that
reads 2.9

Both are crystal filters originally intended for the Racal 6790/gm.

They have very steep skirts, and the radio sounds beautiful with
them.

Is this them?
Filtronetics, Inc.
6010 Parretta Dr
Kansas City, Missouri 64120
UNITED STATES
Phone: 816-231-7375 (Ext. 335)
Fax: 816-241-0368

They don't appear to have a web site. Do you have part numbers on the
6.8 KHz filter? Another question is what did it take to install it in
the 7030+?

The web site is:

http://www.filtro.net/

I couldn't find the ones I have on their web site, so they may have been
done for a specific contract. Getting a non production bandwidth from
them may or may not be a big deal.

Back when I had the 6790/gm I ran into a small supply of the 3.24khz
symmetrical filters, and jumped on them because I love the 3.2khz
bandwidth on my Harris, and they're for a common IF frequency.

When I got the 7030+ I installed one. After seeing how well it
performed, I started hunting down 6790 filters suitable for AM. Along
the way I found the McCoy 6khz mechanical filter for the 6790 was an
impedance mismatch and wouldn't read.

I'll need to open up my radio to track down the part number for the
6.8khz filter - I've got an extra layer of case to deal with as my radio
is installed in an equipment case with battery packs and so forth to
make it "portable".

But I'll see if I can get it for you tomorrow.

I used some angle aluminum and flat stock to make a shelf for the
filters that sits on the inside back wall of the radio. AOR
thoughtfully provided nicely spaced holes for attaching it to the back
panel. I used stuff I had in stock.

The filters are on their side, and are held with velcro. I used RG174
to feed the terminals into the holes you'd solder extra filters into on
the main PC board.

I'll try to remember to shoot some pictures while I've got it open.

The reason these filters sound so good is they're a little wide with
very steep skirts. (1:1.33 on the sideband one)

Regards,

Mark

Old June 22nd 05, 06:15 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Telamon wrote: snip

[...]

Yeah, I found their web site after my previous post. Usenet does not
work in real time. Sometimes faster than other times. Ignore my other
post where I found it.

Please don't take your radio apart on my account, I'll figure out what I
need to get when I get motivated. I do appreciate the offer for you to
disassemble your radio just to find this out for me.

I have one more question about the filter option. The radio is supposed
to take six filters and four are provided. I assume that their are two
open positions on the main board and that they are for small sized
filters. AOR has an optional filter board and as long as I want to
install two more small type filters I further assume that I don't need
to buy this daughter filter board. I expect that this optional daughter
filter board is for the large mechanical filters.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California