Old June 5th 05, 08:36 PM
uncle arnie

Default No learning from history: Uzbekistan

USA has a staunch ally in the dictator of Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov. Like
Saddam, Pinochet, the Shah of Iran, Samoza, and many others, Karimov
sponsors torture and massacres of his own people. He has succeeded in
pushing the traditional Sufi version of Islam toward fundamentalism. 1,000
unarmed were killed on 13 May 2005. We'll hear alot more about this
country in the future, unless a better understanding of how anger at a
brutal regime propped up by a foreign power can fertilise overseas violence
and terror. Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.
Old June 5th 05, 08:47 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:
USA has a staunch ally in the dictator of Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov. Like
Saddam, Pinochet, the Shah of Iran, Samoza, and many others, Karimov
sponsors torture and massacres of his own people. He has succeeded in
pushing the traditional Sufi version of Islam toward fundamentalism. 1,000
unarmed were killed on 13 May 2005. We'll hear alot more about this
country in the future, unless a better understanding of how anger at a
brutal regime propped up by a foreign power can fertilise overseas violence
and terror. Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

A couple months ago, long before the recent mass murder, Economists
Magazine nominated him the second worst dictator in the world. Second
only to Kim Jong Il in NK.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old June 5th 05, 11:02 PM
Li,Chanchun

"uncle arnie" wrote in
Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

In a geo-strategic oil producing location such as Uzbekistan it is
absolutely vital to the interests of the U.S.
The alternative is a stranglehold by Communist China and its ally Russia.

Old June 5th 05, 11:18 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Li,Chanchun wrote:

"uncle arnie" wrote in
Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

In a geo-strategic oil producing location such as Uzbekistan it is
absolutely vital to the interests of the U.S.
The alternative is a stranglehold by Communist China and its ally Russia.

Right. We back a despot who gets overthown by an Islamists mob who
hats us becuase we backed the guy that opressed them. That's what
happened in Iran. The Islamists started with the Muslim Brotherhood
in Egypt (see google) for similar reasons, without our help. The MB
tought OBL who to hate.

Old June 6th 05, 12:03 AM
uncle arnie

Li,Chanchun wrote:

"uncle arnie" wrote in
Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

In a geo-strategic oil producing location such as Uzbekistan it is
absolutely vital to the interests of the U.S.
The alternative is a stranglehold by Communist China and its ally Russia.

China and Russia are not allies.

Interests of the US will be damaged in the long run by supporting such
regimes.

Old June 6th 05, 12:10 AM
uncle arnie

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
Li,Chanchun wrote:

"uncle arnie" wrote in
Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

In a geo-strategic oil producing location such as Uzbekistan it is
absolutely vital to the interests of the U.S.
The alternative is a stranglehold by Communist China and its ally Russia.

Right. We back a despot who gets overthown by an Islamists mob who
hats us becuase we backed the guy that opressed them. That's what
happened in Iran. The Islamists started with the Muslim Brotherhood
in Egypt (see google) for similar reasons, without our help. The MB
tought OBL who to hate.

No. Iran's problems started with the colonial predecessor, the British who
overthrew the gov't that looked like it was heading toward democracy and
installed the shah. The US took up the banner.

You forgot to say that the CIA trained bin Laden.

The expedient definition of a gov't worth supporting, and the contrasting
claim to bring freedom and democracy to others with very similar gov'ts by
overthrow, invasion or destabilization looks pretty two-faced. And it
creates grave risks for us all even if it appears to work in the short
term.
Old June 6th 05, 03:52 AM
m II

uncle arnie wrote:
Li,Chanchun wrote:

"uncle arnie" wrote in

Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

In a geo-strategic oil producing location such as Uzbekistan it is
absolutely vital to the interests of the U.S.
The alternative is a stranglehold by Communist China and its ally Russia.

China and Russia are not allies.

Interests of the US will be damaged in the long run by supporting such
regimes.

Look at Haiti. The US backed dictator Papa Doc Duvalier and his successor son
for about THIRTY years. They were monsters. Just a little while ago, they put
the ELECTED leader Aristide, at gunpoint, on a plane to France. Go figure.

mike
Old June 6th 05, 10:02 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:
USA has a staunch ally in the dictator of Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov. Like
Saddam, Pinochet, the Shah of Iran, Samoza, and many others, Karimov
sponsors torture and massacres of his own people. He has succeeded in
pushing the traditional Sufi version of Islam toward fundamentalism. 1,000
unarmed were killed on 13 May 2005. We'll hear alot more about this
country in the future, unless a better understanding of how anger at a
brutal regime propped up by a foreign power can fertilise overseas violence
and terror. Can't understand how this simple lesson is not learned.

A couple months ago, long before the recent mass murder, Economists
Magazine nominated him the second worst dictator in the world. Second
only to Kim Jong Il in NK.

That's probably Turkmenistan, not Uzbekistan. It's getting to the
point where you can't tell those central asian dictatorships apart.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old June 7th 05, 12:24 AM
Li,Chanchun

"uncle arnie" wrote

You forgot to say that the CIA trained bin Laden.

Another internet myth that refuses to die.

Old June 7th 05, 12:28 AM
Li,Chanchun

"uncle arnie" wrote

China and Russia are not allies.

Really? You don't read enough. Perhaps the largest ever joint military
exercise scheduled between these two countries in the Pacific this summer
will convice you otherwise. They are certainly not US allies.

Interests of the US will be damaged in the long run by supporting such
regimes.

Just as the US supports China economically?

"Howard Stern and SIRIUS Announce the Most Important Deal in Radio History." yojimbo Shortwave 0 October 6th 04 03:32 PM
Learning Morse Andrew Crawford General 4 September 16th 04 02:35 AM
George Bush OT Twistedhed CB 2 April 10th 04 12:32 AM
France, keeping in mind its recent history General 0 October 11th 03 04:19 AM
France, keeping in mind its recent history General 0 October 11th 03 04:19 AM