Old August 1st 05, 01:18 AM

Default question from a newbie

Old August 1st 05, 01:55 AM

www.jr.com Sony 7600 GR AM/FM/Shorwave Radios.$149.88 You can't go
wrong.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 05, 02:32 AM
Michael

If you want a Grunding, you can get a YB-400 for under $100.00. See the link below.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...0&BC=S&DL=SEH1

Michael
wrote in message ...
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a radio for listening to short wave
radio broadcasts. I would like it to be portable and have digital
tuning. I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $100 US Is what I
want available in the price range I am looking at? A friend who is in to
CB radios said look at Grundig radios. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Drew

Old August 1st 05, 04:12 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Drew,

Grundig radios are mediocre for the price they charge (and I regret
having to say that as Grundig does support the hobby better than any
other manufacturer). (Sangean radios, in my experience with two - the
808A and the 606AP - do not hold up well over the years and are
therefore not worth considering.) In the price range you mention you
should look into Kaito/Degen radios which, all things otherwise being
equal, are far less expensive than their Grundig counterparts. Note
that most Kaito/Degen radios are dual-conversion and Grundigs are
mostly single-conversion. (If you don't know what that means, take it
from me - it's quite important for good reception.)

That said, I, like another who has replied here, should HIGHLY
recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver. Though somewhat more
expensive than the price you mention, it is a FAR better radio than any
Grundig or Kaito/Degen radio if only for a particular circuit which it
alone, among currently manufactured portables, features (synchronous
selectable sideband). It is also much better constructed than any other
portable SW radio I have seen. It can handle fairly sophisticated
antennas should you wish to go that route and can even be played
through your stereo system for really "big" sound as it features a
fully-functioning line output in addition to an earphone jack.

In my opinion, only a radio such as the Grundig Satellit 800 is better
than the Sony among current radios.

Best of luck with whatever you purchase.

Joe

Old August 1st 05, 05:05 AM
John Smith

Maybe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRUNDIG-S350-POR...cmd ZViewItem

John

Old August 2nd 05, 01:25 AM
Sleepyguy

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:55:06 -0500, wrote:

www.jr.com Sony 7600 GR AM/FM/Shorwave Radios.$149.88 You can't go
wrong.
cuhulin

Can you listen to hams on this radio?

Thanks,
Sleepyguy
Old August 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Michael

"Sleepyguy" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:55:06 -0500, wrote:

www.jr.com Sony 7600 GR AM/FM/Shorwave Radios.$149.88 You can't go
wrong.
cuhulin

Can you listen to hams on this radio?

Thanks,
Sleepyguy

Yes, you sure can. I have one and it works great on SSB.

Michael

Old August 2nd 05, 05:11 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Sleepyguy wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:55:06 -0500, wrote:

www.jr.com Sony 7600 GR AM/FM/Shorwave Radios.$149.88 You can't go
wrong.
cuhulin

Can you listen to hams on this radio?

Yes. The radio has SSB capability. Hams also transmit in AM mode on the
lower bands.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Newbie Question - Out of the states Jimmy Scanner 1 April 17th 05 05:39 PM
Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 03:23 PM
Newbie question -- Probably first one ever Johnny Scanner 2 October 7th 04 02:23 AM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie question: icom ic-r7000 Steve Uhrig Scanner 0 September 1st 03 06:01 PM