Old September 25th 05, 04:17 AM
Dan Conti

Default Tivoli Model 1

They are nice sounding radios, but a bit overpriced IMHO.
NOT an AM DX machine either.

You obviously got a bad one, return it for a new one.

Dan
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

Old September 25th 05, 02:10 PM
David

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 03:17:49 GMT, Dan Conti wrote:

They are nice sounding radios, but a bit overpriced IMHO.
NOT an AM DX machine either.

You obviously got a bad one, return it for a new one.

Dan
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

They are killer for FMDX. My first one had a bad AUX IN jack that was
making the audio cut out. Keep returning it until you get a good one.

Old September 25th 05, 02:03 PM

Keep returning it,keep returning it,,, you might rack up a lot of
shipping and handling charges too.If it was me,I would return it and buy
a different brand name of radio.Ask them if they will cover all shipping
and handling charges to and fro,if not,I would forget all about Tivoli
radios.
cuhulin

Old September 25th 05, 03:16 PM
John S.

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

Just get another one. They are nice sounding retro-cute looking radios
that compete with offerings from Sangean and Boston Acoustics. Expect
nice somewhat over-bassed FM sound in a small box.

Old September 25th 05, 03:48 PM
David

On 25 Sep 2005 07:16:49 -0700, "John S." wrote:

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

Just get another one. They are nice sounding retro-cute looking radios
that compete with offerings from Sangean and Boston Acoustics. Expect
nice somewhat over-bassed FM sound in a small box.

If you have too much bass move it away from wall, closer to edge of
table.

Old September 26th 05, 03:05 AM

How about tacking a lot of empty egg cartons all over the walls and
ceiling to quieten the room down?
cuhulin

Old September 26th 05, 03:13 AM

www.devilfinder.com Sound deadning materials for radio broadcasting
rooms

devilfinder.com says,What the H..! Don't you mean: Sound deadening
materials for radio broadcasting rooms? If you say so,devilfinder.com,I
reckon that's what I mean.
cuhulin

Old September 27th 05, 12:09 AM
SeeingEyeDog

"Somebody Somewhere" wrote

I bought a Terk Q amplified antenna for the Tivoli, but the Terk is a
POS. No matter how much I tweak the Terk's knobs, I can't get
satisfactory reception of DX stations. It tends to overload the
receiver and stations pop up on frequencies they don't belong on.
Backing off the gain helps, but then all I can hear are locals. The
simple wire antenna provided with the Tivoli gives cleaner reception.

The Terk AM Loop is not amplified - it is a passive antenna. It works very
well with my Sony portables as well as the "Recepter". Avoid the Terk AM/FM
loop as I heard it is not as good.
Amplified antennas (pre-amps), like the Terk Q, in general are prone to
overloading the front end of most receivers.
I never use them unless I'm working OSCAR satellites :-)

Tivoli Audio Model 2 SR Shortwave 15 August 25th 05 04:56 AM
terrible TIVOLI MODEL ONE £­ rubber band£¬ fingerprint£¬ hotmelt glue£¬internal antenna [email protected] Shortwave 6 April 10th 05 02:46 PM
FS 1930's Antique Philco model 80 jr Radio Mike Kulyk Equipment 0 October 22nd 04 02:54 PM
Sony 620X vs. 640 car SW James Boyk Shortwave 4 June 11th 04 08:10 PM
Tivoli to offer Sirius capability David Shortwave 0 January 11th 04 09:15 PM