Old September 30th 05, 06:01 AM

Default TIME to LEAVE the CAR at HOME?

I hope y'all checked the oil and water and brake fluid and power
steering fluid and fan belts and power steering belts and airconditioner
belts under that hood/bonnet of the car.After about three years,it's
about time.High past time in fact.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 06:18 AM

I have a set of plans here inside a round cardboard mailing tube.I
ordered the plans from an ad in a Mother Earth magazine back in the
1970's.The plans show how to hook up a three cylinder diesel engine like
the kind in small lawn mower yard tractors to an adapter to a
transmission of an old british Triump car.The plans say it gets up to
125 miles per gallon.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 08:24 AM

The plans say it gets up to
125 miles per gallon.

I keep kicking around the idea of making a one seater car
out of a small motorcycle drivetrain. Can't decide how to go about
it though. I've considered a trike-car, but I think a trike wheel in
the
front would be too unstable. Not sure about a rear steer trike.
Also have kicked around the idea of just adding frame to one
side and making a four wheeler motorcycle, but with only one
side actually driving power. I'd like to make a light glass
body that looked like the front of a jet plane, to cut wind
resistance. If you used a 125-250 cc range engine, I bet
you could get pretty a pretty decent mpg. Being I once had a
yamaha 250 that probably did 80-90 mph, I think going street speeds
would be a snap. Dunno how if would fare on the freeway...
Could probably do 55 I bet if stable enough.
MK

Old September 30th 05, 01:13 PM
D Peter Maus

wrote:
The plans say it gets up to
125 miles per gallon.

I keep kicking around the idea of making a one seater car
out of a small motorcycle drivetrain.

That was the point of the Berkeley. Two seater, three one cylinder
motorcycle engines bolted together. Chain drive.

Can't decide how to go about
it though. I've considered a trike-car, but I think a trike wheel in
the
front would be too unstable. Not sure about a rear steer trike.

Henry Morgan built three wheelers for years. With a V-twin motorcycle
engine out front. Single wheel in the back, steerable wheels in the front.

It was a pretty impressive racer in its day.

Also have kicked around the idea of just adding frame to one
side and making a four wheeler motorcycle, but with only one
side actually driving power.

That's how Henry Ford got started.

I'd like to make a light glass
body that looked like the front of a jet plane, to cut wind
resistance. If you used a 125-250 cc range engine, I bet
you could get pretty a pretty decent mpg. Being I once had a
yamaha 250 that probably did 80-90 mph, I think going street speeds
would be a snap. Dunno how if would fare on the freeway...
Could probably do 55 I bet if stable enough.
MK

Morgan's three wheeler moved pretty well. Terrorized the dirt tracks.

The problem is going to be EPA. New regulations are coming into play
that will require the same complex emissions systems on motorcycles that
are now found on cars, and trucks. The Germans are already doing it
voluntarily, trying to get out in front of the issue. Getting anywhere
near decent performance with a Otto derived engine with full emissions
gear, and more or less common induction is going to limit your fuel
economy to less than 50 mpg. My K-100LT only sees 40 on a good day. Moto
Guzzi only gets 50 with it's V-twin, and that's before the new rules go
into effect.

And safety standards require greater mass for the vehicle for safety,
today. That's why the VW Type One can't be made today in the US. There's
not enough material in it to sustain an impact rating.

If you really want large mileage, you'll have to do two things that
are currently not being done. One is change the induction system to more
closely achieve a pure stoichiometric mixture in the cylinder. The other
is to recover energy lost as heat that's being blown off the engine and
recycle that heat energy. With a stoichiometric mixture, at maximum
yield burn rates, there is no other way to increase endurance but to
recover lost energies and apply them to output.

Old September 30th 05, 02:22 PM

Another set of plans I have here shows how to hook up an electric motor
(golf cart motor or government surplus motor) to an adapter to the
transmission of a VW beetle car.I have an old Popular Science magazine
here that dates back to the 1960's or 1970's that has an article about a
guy who built his own vehicle that runs on compressed air.He used an old
small pickup truck and some old high pressure scuba tanks he mounted in
the bed of the pickup truck for his compressed air tanks.Some industrial
compressed air motors have horsepower ratings of up to about 25
horsepower.Some scrap metal yards have things like that lying around for
sale.Old oxycetylene tanks make good high pressure compressed air tanks
too.I stay off the interstates as much as possible because I drive too
slow,I prefer the back roads anyway.I like the idea of those cars that
run on compressed air.Just plug them in for a while and let them charge
back up.Some of those electric cars catch fire sometimes.Chrysler had
some problems with some of their hybrid electric cars.One of them burned
somebody's house down in Florida a few years ago.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 02:37 PM

www.devilfinder.com Build your own homemade compressed air car

Radio related,,, there is an eham link there about,Build Your Own Air
Vairable Capacitors.It says all you need is a flat washer and a spring.I
haven't read the whole article yet.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 03:20 PM

You can use styrofoam (use styrofoam glue to glue bigger chunks of
styrofoam together) and easily carve (electric carving knife,borrow your
wife's electric carving knife from the kitchen) and sand whatever kind
of shape you want and fiberglass over that.Gasoline will melt the
styrofoam but will not affect the fiberglass.There are fiberglass cloth
materials available at boat/marine supply stores,the fiberglass
stretches over/around odd shapes like a sweater.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 03:26 PM

www.devilfinder.com Car Kits

There are a lot of different kinds of car kits available on the
market,use whatever kind of engine or electric motor you want to use.The
junk yards are full of them.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 02:37 AM
Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com Political Message

Sept 30, 2005, 3:26am, cuhulin wrote:I have a set of plans here inside
a round cardboard mailing tube.I
ordered the plans from an ad in a Mother Earth magazine back in the
1970's.The plans show how to hook up a three cylinder diesel engine
like
the kind in small lawn mower yard tractors to an adapter to a
transmission of an old british Triump car.The plans say it gets up to
125 miles per gallon.

cuhulin

I went into the Arco gas station this morning and asked for five
dollars worth of gas.

The clerk farted and gave me a receipt.

tysia