Old October 4th 05, 11:21 AM
NewsGuy

Default Advertising on Shortwave

It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

Old October 4th 05, 02:55 PM
David

On 4 Oct 2005 03:21:42 -0700, "NewsGuy" wrote:

It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

They count the calls to the 1-800 numbers and extrapolate.

Old October 4th 05, 05:09 PM

1 800 call numbers,,,, Your call may be monitored for "quality
assurance".That means some A..holes can hear me hacking and coughing
from my cigarettes and my little doggy barking at any strange noises
(especially if somebody is knocking on my front door!) and I always try
my best to fart on them "quality assurances".
www.cryptome.org/index.html scroll wayyyyyy on down to,TEMPEST.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 05:46 PM

wrote:
1 800 call numbers,,,, Your call may be monitored for "quality
assurance".

When you finally get to a live person, tell them that you also may be
recording the conversation "for quality assurance purposes". It also
works wonders on those calls from the telemarketers that ignore the "Do
Not Call" lists.

Old October 4th 05, 08:40 PM

I am on the Mississippi do not call list thingy.I hope some
telemarketers do call me.Mississippi State Attorney General's office
will hear about it faster than a cat can lick it's you know what.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 08:45 PM

If I want to tape/record a phone call,I am not telling anybody about it
first,second,third or ever.I did ask that married Irish woman first if I
could tape our phone conversations when she and her hubby were doing
Disneyworld and Universal City in Florida a few years ago.She said that
would be ok with her.
cuhulin

Old October 5th 05, 05:19 PM

betsey myers (nbc,or one of them Stupid alphabet tv channels) That
Commie B...H W...R! once phoned me aybout two years ygo.I said,,, Who is
this? her Commie B...H W...R! A.. said,his is betsey myers.I slammed my
phone down soooooo hard!!!! y'all could have heard it all over the
World!,, it was like Krackatoa!!! The nerve of that Commie B...H
Who.R!!!!!,,, betsey myers phoneing ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She better keep
her Commie B...H A.. OFF OF MY TELEPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 03:02 PM

NewsGuy wrote:
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

well if you count each Bible Beater out there in Shortwave Land, there
are doubtless tens of thousands of Advertizers..

I've heard Quack " Health " Products advertized
( Cures CANCER ! ( yeah, right ))

things that will turn you grey ( Collodial Silver )
,
as well as gold coins..
several Shortwave repair places.. a record store in Pittsburg, and a
restaurant down in Mexico..

Think each station has some kind of idea as to who listens & how many
listeners they have.

Old October 4th 05, 03:11 PM
Michael Black

"NewsGuy" ) writes:
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

Since there's very little commercial broadcasting, there's little
advertising.

Shortwave broadcasting as we know is more about a country wanting to
reach beyond it's borders, either to reach citizens abroad, or people
who might be curious about the country. It's generally paid for
by the governments of the countries.

Commercial shortwave broadcasting is pretty limited. Not only is
it not common, but it is not and never will be a mainstream medium.
Hence you won't see big name advertisers on shortwave, and you will
generally get advertisers who have little choice beyond shortwave
advertising.

In other words, they may not care all that much how many listeners,
they simply hope they will reach an audience if they advertise.

So you get the bible related material, and you get the survivalist
stuff.

Michael