Old October 19th 05, 07:54 PM
clu

Default sony 2010 - what replaced it?

I am new to this and have been looking at a lot of reviews. It appears,
for my needs, the Sony 2010 is a real winner. But it is no longer
available for purchase.

Has there been a Sony model to replace it? The only model I can find is
the ICF-SW7600GR. Is this intended to be the replacement? I read
reviews on it and read that it is not quite as good as the Sony 2010.

If I wanted the Sony 2010, what product should I get that comes closest
to quality/value as the Sony 2010?

--
clu

Old October 19th 05, 08:02 PM

The Sony ICF-SW77 replaced the 2010, but the SW77 is no longer
manufactured. You can find them on ebay most of the time, though.

I'm told that Sony doesn't intend to make a successor to the SW77.

Steve

Old October 19th 05, 08:12 PM
clu

Since one cannot buy a new Sony 2010, or SW77, how does the SW07
compare with the SW7600GR? It's more expensive but is it better? From
the reviews I've read so far, it doesn't appear to be better. ??? I'm
about to make the SW7600GR purchase for $150 at amazon.com and just
want to make sure I'm getting the best for the buck, so to speak.

Old October 19th 05, 08:20 PM
junius

Sony's ICF-SW07 is the company's current flagship shortwave receiver.
Performance-wise, it's really not appreciably different from the
'SW7600GR, in my opinion (the small size is nice, however).
Since neither the ICF-SW07 nor the SW7600GR is quite in the same class
as the '2010 or 'SW77, I think you'd do well to look at the Eton E1.
Admittedly, it's on the higher end of the price scale where portables
are concerned (although not that much higher than the 'SW77 back when
it was sold new). Price aside, however, if the '2010 is the type of
radio you're looking for (high performance, full featured portable) and
you're looking to buy new, then the E1 is about the only option out
there. And, thankfully, it seems to be a very nice performer,
according the buzz out there.

junius

Old October 19th 05, 08:24 PM
junius

The SW7600GR provides excellent bang-for-buck. One of the best buys
out there, actually. Although it's not quite a '2010 or 'SW77, I would
consider the 'SW7600GR a best value in a compact travel-weight/size
portable.

Old October 19th 05, 08:43 PM

See if www.jr.com is still selling Sony 7600 GR radios.Last time I
checked jr.com a few months ago,they were selling for about $139.00.

www.devilfinder.com J&R Music Company Sony 7600 GR Radios

If you are interested in buying one of those Sony 7600 GR radios,look up
J&R's toll free phone number and ask them about the radios,and your
credit card or debit card handy.I think J&R has free shipping too.
cuhulin

Old October 19th 05, 09:02 PM
David

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:43:18 -0500, wrote:

See if
www.jr.com is still selling Sony 7600 GR radios.Last time I
checked jr.com a few months ago,they were selling for about $139.00.

www.devilfinder.com J&R Music Company Sony 7600 GR Radios

If you are interested in buying one of those Sony 7600 GR radios,look up
J&R's toll free phone number and ask them about the radios,and your
credit card or debit card handy.I think J&R has free shipping too.
cuhulin

If you are interested in the survival of this hobby you should do
business with a radio hobbyist retailer like Grove or Crane or
Universal or HRO,etc., rather than a big box store that doesn't give a
**** if we all go away.

Old October 19th 05, 09:52 PM

I would agree.. Consider getting it ( Sony 7600 ) at a shortwave
store..

C Crane sold me a Sangean 606A years back,
- then put in sensitivity mods; replaced the antenna , etc.

Sony 7600, Computer speakers or good headphones
and an external antenna should do 99% of what you want in a SW receiver
.. .

Old October 19th 05, 10:17 PM

E1 review here

http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm

Ther is also one up there by Dr Phil, in PDF Format

Old October 19th 05, 10:24 PM

I guess Sony could start reproducing the Sony 2010's again if they
wanted to,,,, assuming parts are still available,and I believe they
are.Sony could dress them up in a new plastic dress though and perhaps
add one or two other features.The Sony 2020's perhaps?
cuhulin