Old October 23rd 05, 11:23 PM
Nic. Santean

Default battery leaks: how to remove corrosion ?

Just wondering: how can I remove corrosion on the battery contacts of a
receiver. I did not have any battery leaks, however corrosion (the greenish
stuff - oxide I suppose) has appeared for whatever reason. Is there any
spray commercially available for such thing?

Nic.

Old October 23rd 05, 11:44 PM
hprecdocks

Piece of fine sandpaper or emery board. Rub the contacts / springs until
they shine again. Many instances the corrosion is so bad it ruins the
conductivity of the contact for good and the contact will appear black after
sanding. In that case you can have a go at replacing the contacts or doing
some soldering and running the battery wires direct to the batteries. I've
always got radios working on batteries again no matter how bad the
corrosion. Don't know how many expensive radios I've picked up at thrift
stores for a few bucks with their only problem being ruined contacts.

Old October 24th 05, 12:08 AM
Tony Meloche

Just wondering: how can I remove corrosion on the battery contacts of a
receiver. I did not have any battery leaks, however corrosion (the
greenish stuff - oxide I suppose) has appeared for whatever reason. Is
there any spray commercially available for such thing?

The greenish stuff is likely copper suplhate - it's called
"verdegris". The post from hpredocks gave good advice, but to answer
your question directly, yes, there is an electrical contact cleaner
spray - it's basically methyl alcohol and envorinmentally safe freons.
CRC is one of the most common brands, and available at most large
retailers, and auto supply stores. Radio Shack sells their own brand,
and while it's the same thing, it's more expensive (suprise, suprise).

Tony

Old October 24th 05, 03:18 AM
Yodar

Nic. Santean wrote:
Just wondering: how can I remove corrosion on the battery contacts of a
receiver. I did not have any battery leaks, however corrosion (the greenish
stuff - oxide I suppose) has appeared for whatever reason. Is there any
spray commercially available for such thing?

Nic.

Vinegar on a q-tip

insoluble copper carbonate becomes soluble copper acetate

then ordinary water
Old October 24th 05, 03:36 AM

You will grow a lonnggggg grey beard before that vinegar kicks in.I once
found a mostly empty spray can of CRC 22 (or something like that) at the
scrap metal yard on Beatty Street.That CRC did pretty durn good at
removing battery corosion.I checked some stores and industrial supply
stores around here,I can't find a local store that sells it anymore.
cuhulin

Old October 24th 05, 03:40 AM

Those little springs/battery contact springs thingys,,, battery
corossion will flat eat them up.
cuhulin

Old October 24th 05, 03:48 AM

Try Dexoit.I have never tried it out before,but next time I am at a
Radio Shack store or auto parts store,I am going to look for a spray can
of Dexoit.There is an advertisement in my Popular Mechanics magazine
November 2005 issue about Dexoit.
cuhulin

Old October 24th 05, 05:44 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Nic. Santean wrote:
Just wondering: how can I remove corrosion on the battery contacts of a
receiver. I did not have any battery leaks, however corrosion (the greenish
stuff - oxide I suppose) has appeared for whatever reason. Is there any
spray commercially available for such thing?

Caig DeOxit, spray or liquid concentrate. Followed by Preservit (sp?).
Check the Caig Labs web site.

Mark Zenier