Old December 3rd 05, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Sony icf 2010 question

Roger wrote:
Hi all
I am relatively new to sw, and have heard a great deal about the Sony2010
I am thinking of purchasing one of these, now I have a 7600gr, but find it
very difficult to fine tune ssb because of the small tuning wheel.
Apart from the size of the two radios, would you say the 2010 is the
superior of the two radios or am I simply spending when there is not going
to be much difference
I would appreciate your views/recommendations etc.
regards
Roger

If SSB reception is important to you, you'll much prefer the '2010 over
the 'SW7600GR, provided the '2010 is still in good shape. Sensitivity
and selectivity are both better on the '2010, and you'll love the low
noise floor on the '2010.

The 'SW7600GR is an excellent receiver for its class, but the '2010 is
definitely a step or two above. If indeed you've found a great deal,
go for it. Finding a great deal on a '2010 gets harder as time
progresses. There's a reason (multiple reasons, in fact) why the '2010
is so very much considered a legend among SWLers.

Mind you, if you're looking for a true tabletop unit (as one of your
the fact that the '2010, for all of its good points, is not a tabletop
receiver. While the '2010 is definitely premium grade where portables
are concerned, you'll likely find that, once hooked up to a serious
outdoor antenna, it'll be prone to overload...all the more so on your
side of the Atlantic than in North America, I would guess.

Best,

Junius