Old December 17th 05, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default KAITO 1103 question

Nic. Santean wrote:
Does anybody know whether Kaito 1103 has PLL ?

I would guess so (having direct frequency input), but
is hard to believe to have PLL and dual conversion at
this price.

In addition, many users report no "chugging" during
manual tuning, and that sounds suspicious too.

I am thinking to get one and I would appreciate your
input.

Cordially

Nic.

Yes, it uses PLL and dual conversion. The result is a radio that holds
on a frequency very well, but tends to generate images of signals 900
khz down (twice the IF).

Any radio that tunes in 1khz increments is going to chug a bit as it
skips 1 khz at a time. It isn't significant on the 1103 though.

Go for the radio - but get the Degen De1103 rather than the Kaito. It
is is an incredible package of features at $65.00 shipped.

Old December 17th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
M Peraaho

Here are some reviews on the Degen 1103. I own one it is a fine radio. I
have no image problems, but I live in a rural area.

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtrevumar05.pdf

Old December 18th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Dec 2005 08:44:33 -0800, "John S." wrote:

wrote:
John S. wrote:
Nic. Santean wrote:

Does anybody know whether Kaito 1103 has PLL ?

I would guess so (having direct frequency input), but
is hard to believe to have PLL and dual conversion at
this price.

In addition, many users report no "chugging" during
manual tuning, and that sounds suspicious too.

I am thinking to get one and I would appreciate your
input.

Cordially

Nic.

Yes, it uses PLL and dual conversion. The result is a radio that holds
on a frequency very well, but tends to generate images of signals 900
khz down (twice the IF).

Dual conversion should eliminate images at twice the second IF
(455-Khz). Does it use up conversion for the first IF?

Couldn't tell you, but there is a russian site that has a highly
detailed review of this receiver. Does anyone have the link?

It uses a 450khz IF and an image of many strong signals can be found
900khz down. In the area of 8.9mhz they do conflict with potentially
interesting signals from commercial aircraft. Otherwise they are not a
problem.

Odd. I was told the Eton E1 is made ina factory in India that
primarily builds mil-spec stuff.

Old December 18th 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Eton E1 AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellite Radio ? Make in India ?

David,

Very Close - The Eton E1 Radio is make in a Factory
in India by an Indian Company that is a major supplier
of Indian Military Communications Gear for the Indian
Government.

hope this helps - e1'ing you all ~ RHF

.. . .
..
. .
..
.. . . Out !

The " Eton E1 XM " ( E1XM ) 'Universal' Radio / Receiver . . .
it is the Legendary 'Grundig Satellit 900' born a new !!!
ETON E1 RADIO GROUP = http://tinyurl.com/9lfd7

degan 1103 question Roger Shortwave 3 December 13th 05 06:44 AM
1103 vs Sangean ATS909 GP Shortwave 3 September 1st 05 01:10 AM
Kaito 1103 radio comments JS Shortwave 30 May 31st 05 03:15 AM
Opinions on Kaito 1103 The Axelrods Shortwave 9 March 12th 05 03:49 AM
Kaito WRX-911 quality control issues? Kevin Croxen Shortwave 16 December 9th 03 04:13 PM