Old December 30th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use

David wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:30:58 -0500, dxAce

The
measured radiation resistance can be as high as 5000 ohms or as low as
2 or 3 ohms..."

yep..

That's why I wonder about the popularity of these 9-to-1 baluns.

generally a waste of money I think... Some bands they might
help, some might hurt... The reason I think it's a waste of time
is rarely are they actually needed to improve the s/n ratio.

Hardly a waste of money, they actually DO work.

Been using them here for a good number of years.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Wow. Steve and I agree on something. Call Kofi Annan.

Why? You got some oil you'd like to trade for food?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 30th 05, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use : Antenna Tuner? and/or Pre-Selector?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:03:41 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Why? You got some oil you'd like to trade for food?

I haven't paid too much attention to it, but I think the oil was never
meant to be traded directly for food. I think the name means that
Iraq was allowed to sell oil in order to be able to afford imported
edibles.

Old December 30th 05, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - You are right ~ RHF
Old December 30th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Inside view of the RF Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun ( MLB )

On 30 Dec 2005 11:35:41 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

For One and All,

Inside view of the RF Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun ( MLB )
http://www.remeeus.nl/english/hamradio/mlb.htm

RF Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun ( MLB )
http://www.thiecom.de/mlb.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1484.html
http://www.suertenich.com/html/radio...ire_balun.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../4067chrt.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1465.html
http://www.thiecom.de/mlb_1.jpg

images and Ideas - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

Now THAT is a rip-off.

Old December 30th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 30 Dec 2005 12:30:48 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DX Ace,

At the Price Mark-Ups - I am surprised at a Chinese
Manufacture like Tecsun or Degen has not gotten into
building and offering a reverse-engineered-product
like the Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun ( MLB ) ? ? ?
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1484.html

Also the RF Systems MLBA-MK1 or MLBA-MK2 Antennas
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1465.html

Figure with the Chinese Manufacturing Cost being 1/10th
of the European's. And the Chinese made Items selling
on eBay for 1/3 to 1/2 the Current RF Systems USA Price.

jm2cw ~ RHF
.

These guys charge fair prices.

http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/product.html

Old December 30th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Sealing a Matching Transformer {Balun} for the OutSide Weather

On 30 Dec 2005 11:59:23 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

For One and All,

I use this stuff. I add a wrap of Scotch 33+ to keep the sealant dust
free.

http://www.coaxseal.com/How%20to%20Use%20Coax-Seal.htm

Old December 30th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael Lawson wrote:

I put one together last year, and yes, I agree with
Ace. Of course, sealing the darn thing properly
to prevent leakage into the case is important too.
Had to go back a couple of times to reseal it to
make sure it works, but they actually do work.

--Mike L.

-----------------------------
I have found that using the black plastic 35MM fil canisters
filled with silicon seal works very well. The Kodak ones last
much longer then the other I have checked. Don't use the clear,
or translucent ones as they will fail in a single season.

I us the plastic ones for mini DXpeditions.

If you are lucky enough to hae an aluminum 33MM cnaister they
work great! My dad was an advanced photographer so I have a
few of the aluminium and even fewer of the even older painted
steel units.

I have an aluminium unit that has been up for ~10 years with no sign
of failure.

Terry

Old December 31st 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

David wrote:
I haven't paid too much attention to it, but I think the oil was never
meant to be traded directly for food. I think the name means that
Iraq was allowed to sell oil in order to be able to afford imported
edibles.

Actually, Iraq wasn't supposed to get any money out of it until after the
program ended. The UN was to get the money and use it to send food, medicine,
and supplies, and build schools, electrical power stations and the like.
Instead the money went to enrich Kofi and his kid and Saddam, and to buy
Iraq more embargoed armaments.

Old December 31st 05, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To...

A bunch of years ago,I used an old raggity fifty foot long electric
extension line for an antenna for one of my old Shortwave radios.What I
did was connected the two wires (I didn't fool with the ground wire) of
the line together with a piece of wire and I draped the line around over
piles of my junk in my house,I ran the line from the radio by my couch
in my living room and through my dining room and through my kitchen and
on down the hall and back through the living to near my front door.It
worked pretty good too.

Not to be too off topic but, www.devilfinder.com TripSmarter.com
Bulletin Boards New Orleans Street Cars are Back

I was lurking in a New Orleans online chatroom a few afternoons ago.A
woman in New Orleans said her toofs are hurting her.I piped up and
said,Well,at least you have some toofs.
cuhulin

Building a 'simple' Attic Loop Antenna = Not So Simple ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 22nd 05 08:13 AM
RIGGING - The LMZ-75, SWLZ and RF Systems MLB (Magnetic LongWire Balun) RHF Shortwave 0 November 4th 05 05:54 PM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 11:35 AM
Putting a Ferrite Rod at the Far-End of a Random Wire Antenna ? RHF Antenna 25 November 15th 04 09:15 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM