Old December 29th 05, 02:03 AM
Junior Member

Default Sony ICF-SW100s geeks: This thread is for you!

Hello Everyone,

I understand that the icf-sw100s has a problem with the clamshell lid/ribbon cable. Sony apparently corrected the problem in October of '97.

My questions:

1) Is it possible to identify a pre-revision unit by serial number alone? Corollary: is there a "birthdate" sticker on Sony products that details exactly when a particular unit left the factory? If it's any help, the unit I was looking at had a serial number of 27180.

2) Is there still a vendor for the repair kits that Sony offered?

Part no. = X-3372-340-1
Desc. = kit mcb, flexible

I poked around the Sony site a bit: nothing. I'm assuming the kits are long out of stock, but please do tell me if there's a vendor that still stocks these.

Finally, is there a vendor left with *new* stocks of these radios? I know I'm really reaching here, but might there be a warehouse in Nebraska with a few of these laying around, collecting dust? I know it's not likely, but still... ¬_¬

If anyone has one of these for sale (post '97 revison _only_ please) do let me know. I can't promise anything, but tell me what you have, condition, price, and we'll go from there.

Well, I think that's everything. Any infomation or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Flash
Old December 29th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello Flash et al

Flashman wrote:
[...]

1. I have not seen any information on how to tell if the radio is a
revised version base on serial number. Others may know more.....

You can tell if a radio has a new clamshell just from it's appearance.
See my post on this newsgroup dated Sept 12, 2005. This does not tell
you if were supplied from the factory, or changed by the owner.

2. You can still get the kit from Sony. Go to
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/index.jsp
and search by part number.

You can also get the part from www.partstore.com

3. The ICF-SW100S was the version sold with the active antenna. In
Europe it was sold as the ICF-SW100E, but without the active antenna.
This version is still available from eg
www.askelectronics.co.uk
but note that it is not cheap.

4. Other information: There is a yahoo group for this radio at:

HTH and 73

John KC0GGH
reply to: crabtreejr at aol dot com

Old December 29th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Sheatsley

2) Is there still a vendor for the repair kits that Sony offered?

Part no. = X-3372-340-1
Desc. = kit mcb, flexible

I poked around the Sony site a bit: nothing. I'm assuming the kits are
long out of stock, but please do tell me if there's a vendor that still
stocks these.

www.partstore.com site supposedly has this part for $25.27 + shipping. See:
http://www.partstore.com/ProductDeta...uctType= PART

Never did business with them so don't know how good this company is.

Regards,
John

Old December 29th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

Join the group for all your answers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SonyICF-sw100

--