Old January 1st 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Vintage Suggestions?

My brother owned an old crapped out Chevrolet car that was all worn out
when he bought the car second hand.It's coming back to me now,he traded
that car off for the radio.He got the best end of that deal.I remember
the front leaf springs of that old car would sometimes get out of wack
and he would be outside wrenching on that front suspension system of
that old car and cussin.My dad bought an old second hand Doodlebug
motorscooter for twenty five dollars for me to ride around on around the
neighborhood.My sisters rode that motorscooter more than I ever did.
cuhulin

Old January 1st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Dear Lenny,

This is indeed a "fun" topic and I find all the comments posted thus
far to be very interesting and enjoyable to read.

Therefore, I hope that you and everyone ese here, will take my comments
in the spirit in which they're meant.

Back when I was in high school (three weeks after they had invented
fire!?!) there were several of us who got involved in shortwave
listening. One fellow had a National SW-54 (as I remember), another had
a Hammarlund HQ-100, another had a Blaupunkt, another had a Grundig,
one particularly wealthy fellow had a Zenith Trans-Oceanic (a tube
model), and I, being the "poorest," had an old Philco console. (But I
had the best antenna and ground!)

Later, after high school, I was able to save up enough money to buy a
Lafayette HE-10, a Lafayette HE-11 speaker, and a pair of Clevite Brush
BA-200 headphones. Total price was $102.60 (and NO sales tax at the
time!). I still have them all and they are still in superb condition -
they work as well as they did when new. (I had the receiver last
aligned and tested about fifteen years ago. The technician stated at
the time that, while he made some adjustments, they were all very minor
and the internals were really in very fine shape.)

I used that set as my main receiver up until 2000 when I got a Grundig
Satellit 800. In 2004 I purchased my AOR AR7030 Plus, which was
customized by the factory.

I have to tell you that, though I still "trot out" the Lafayette once
or twice a year (for old-times' sake) and though I never had a great
deal of experience with most of the better tube shortwave sets (I did
have an acquaintance later on who owned a Hammarlund HQ-180A which I
listened to quite a bit until he moved away), there is ABSOLUTELY NO
WAY I would ever go back to those tube sets for daily use.

For collection purposes, for impressive "looks," and for "cachet," they
can't be beat. But NONE of them can even approach the performance of my
AR7030 Plus and that includes sound quality. I run my AOR through my
Hafler DH-101 Preamplifier and my Hafler DH-200 Power Amplifier into my
Klipschorn speakers and, as the man said, "you ain't heard nothing
yet!"

Even with my cheap ($29.95) Radio Shack RCA-labeled external speaker,
which I use when listening to news or talk programs, the sound is far
better and far more intelligible than that of my Lafayette or any other
tube radio I have ever heard.

I hate to "bust" anybody's bubble, and please note that I have the
greatest respect for others' serious opinions which may differ from
mine, but it is my firm opinion that today's shortwave receivers are
far, far better than anything I could have bought, regardless of price,
back in 1958.

They're far more reliable too. You younger guys can't remember a time
when the radio/tv repairman was like a member of the family. He came to
your house more often than your favorite uncle!

I often wish that I could have a "time machine" and take one of today's
radios back to that young kid who was just starting out in shortwave
back in 1958. He'd have been absolutely astounded!

But I do agree with those who state that those radios looked better
than today's and their tuning knobs, heavily fly-weighted, were far
more pleasurable to use than todays "lightweights."

However, nostalgia aside, they just don't perform like today's!

Well, I guess this makes me an old timer as I used to be that TV
repairman in the early 80's. Tube sets, solid state and hybrids of the
two were the fare of the day.

How to you make the connection from 7030+ to the stereo amplifiers? Did
you make a cable to the auxiliary jack and use the line outs, the loud
speaker jack or the headphone jack? Have you experimented with all these
outputs and found the line outs to be the best?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 2nd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Back when I was in high school (three weeks after they had invented
fire!?!)

Aw, man, they didn't have fire until I was in eighth grade. And since we had
the kind of global warming back then that they have now, it was always too
cold to learn anything in school. We thought about electing a student to burn
for heat, but we couldn't burn him because we didn't know what burning was.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
They're far more reliable too. You younger guys can't remember a time
when the radio/tv repairman was like a member of the family. He came to
your house more often than your favorite uncle!

Being older, I started being the TV serviceman in 1967. Funny, my family
after that time was incredibly much bigger than it was before.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Telamon wrote:
Well, I guess this makes me an old timer as I used to be that TV
repairman in the early 80's. Tube sets, solid state and hybrids of the
two were the fare of the day.

Ah, yer still a kid. I started full-time in 1967. Transistors were for
UHF tuners.

Old January 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:23:37 -0500, "Lenny"
wrote:

I'm thinking more and more about the beautiful vintage tube receivers of the
past.
I love the purposeful look, the glow of the tubes, and, of course, the
performance.
So, I'm looking for suggestions on some of the best tube SW receivers that
are readily available on
E Bay and elsewhere.
Specifically, the Collins's, the Hammarlunds, and the Hallicrafters.(Please
educate me on the other classic makes)
My price limit is $500 give or take.
Oh, and I know nothing about poking around the insides of these things so I
need one in turnkey condition.
Right now, I own an Icom R75 with all the Kiwa mods.
Is it possible that some of the old receivers offer similar performance?
I'm mainly interested in international broadcasts and to a lesser extent,
ham and utility monitoring.
So, start recommending.
Thanks, and I hope this can be a fun topic.
Lenny

This gentleman, Gary, at email: posted the following
list in another group, rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

He's having tax problems, and trying to sell some of his gear.

I'd recommend any of the National HRO-series, with the 60 being the
ultimate, or the Hallicrafters receivers, or the 390 rigs.

You can google-search any of these rigs and get plenty of info.

Here's his list:

List of Boatanchors for sale as of Dec. 19th 2005

Description Condition
Price

Military:

R-1051-B with manual Excellent working
450.00
WRR-2 with manual Cosmetically VG
900.00
R-390A Miltronics rebuild w cabinet VG
1000
R390 non A VG
500.00
R-390 non A VG
500.00
R-388 with manual VG
350.00
SP-600 VG
350.00
T195 transmitter VG
450.00
R392 receiver with mount and dog bone VG
300.00
PP-4763 matching power supply excellent
275.00
CV-31D/TRA7 diversity Converter excellent
300.00
RBB Receiver VG
275.00
RBC Receiver VG
275.00
RBB/RBC Power supply with cables VG
250.00
ART-13 Transmitter Collins VG
300.00
ART-13 Transmitter Collins missing tubes Good
250.00
BC-348Q VG
275.00
BC-342
Fair 100.00
RAK-7 VG
300.00
RAK8/RAL8 power supply VG
200.00
SLRM Scott VG
200.00
SLRM Scott VG
200.00
RBL-2
VG 250.00
RBO
VG 300.00
TMC Mod-3/ FRR-502 3 each VG
250.00

National:

NC-155 ham band receiver VG
200.00
NC-173 general coverage receiver Good
250.00
NC183D
VG 350.00
NC-190
VG 275.00
NC-270
VG 275.00
NC-303
Good 300.00
NC2-40D
VG 350.00
HRO-5
VG 275.00
HRO-5
VG 275.00
HRO-5
VG 275.00
HRO-50T
VG 375.00
HRO-60
VG 400.00
NC-100ASD
VG 375.00
National HFS
VG 275.00

Apache
excellent 300.00
Mohawk
excellent 300.00
Marauder
excellent 300.00
Mohawk
excellent 300.00
Warrior
excellent 400.00
DX-100
excellent 375.00

Johnson:

Viking I
VG 375.00
Viking II
Good 350.00
Valiant
Good 400.00
Thunderbolt excellent 500.00
6&2 receive adaptor
Good 150.00
6&2 transmit adaptor
good 175.00
RCA:

AR-88D
VG 450.00
AR-77
Good 300.00

Globe:

Globe King 500C
VG 1000.00
Globe Champion 300 2 new finals VG
500.00
Globe Chief 90R
VG 200.00
Globe Hi-Bander
VG 200.00
Globeceiver
VG 175.00

Hallicrafters:

SX-25
VG 200.00
SX-28A
excellent 475.00
SX-62A
excellent 425.00

Old January 4th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Looks like some great radios.Too bad he is having some tax problems.
cuhulin