Old February 12th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kelly A. Siebecke

Default Restart Subject: Ever heard your letter read on air?

I found this thread from late 2005 and would like to respond.

Yes, I've had my letters read over the air back in the '70s over my
trusty Sony Earth Orbiter.

HCJB - maybe 5 different letters 1975-1981 when they had the programs
DX Partyline and Musical Mailbag. DX Partyline is where I first heard
of Mr. Stuart MacKenzie!
Radio Nederlands - 1975
Radio Japan - 1976, 1977
Radio Australia - 1975, 1976

Radio Nederlands' and HCJB's english programs were in the evenings on
the west coast at that time so it was no sweat listening for them.
Radio Japan & Radio Australia, however, broadcast to NA in english in
the early-morning hours and I would have to get up in the middle of the
night to tune them in, set up the tape recorder and listen. Both
stations, however, sent me a QSL or letter in advance to let me know
that the letter would be read and what date and time. As a teenage
girl DX'er I was somewhat of a novelty so I would frequently get my
letters read by that merit alone. Unfortunately, having moved too many
times in the last 30 years I have misplaced the cassette tapes I
recorded the broadcasts on. It would be a neat piece of nostalgia to
still have...

Anyone else have reception report or letters read on the air stories?

The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
To ALL DX! Me Dx 16 April 1st 04 06:52 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 10:29 PM
chuckie blast from the past version 3..... gw CB 0 November 9th 03 02:05 AM