Old February 22nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default BBC FM-HD Feed in Stereo

Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

"David" wrote in message
Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

IBOC is QRM. This is one thing I can easily agree with Steve on.... I hope
it dies an early death so that people can listen to stations more than 20
miles away again...

Old February 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:19:02 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

IBOC is QRM. This is one thing I can easily agree with Steve on.... I hope
it dies an early death so that people can listen to stations more than 20
miles away again...

Good luck with that. As long as they keep it confined to Daytime on
Mediumwave I don't mind enough to get excited. There're a thousand
sources of incidental radiation nowadays. And who says you can't DX
digital signals?

Old February 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Brenda Ann wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

IBOC is QRM. This is one thing I can easily agree with Steve on.... I hope
it dies an early death so that people can listen to stations more than 20
miles away again...

Yep, WBBM 780 Chicago (Yes, Eddy Wardo, I know that the transmitter is not
located IN Chicago) recently turned their IBOC back on wiping out my reception
of another station here in Michigan on 790 whose programs I liked on Saturday
mornings.

IBOC = QRM

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 22nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

"David" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:19:02 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..
Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

IBOC is QRM. This is one thing I can easily agree with Steve on.... I hope
it dies an early death so that people can listen to stations more than 20
miles away again...

Good luck with that. As long as they keep it confined to Daytime on
Mediumwave I don't mind enough to get excited. There're a thousand
sources of incidental radiation nowadays. And who says you can't DX
digital signals?

A friend of mine in NYC can only receive the three strongest IBOC signals,
and can't listen to second adjacent signals (rimshots) that she used to be
able to hear regularly because of IBOC.. that's not DX, it's choice..

Old February 22nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:30:50 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Noticed this morning on my BA Recepter HD that the Newshour program is
in stereo.

IBOC is QRM. This is one thing I can easily agree with Steve on.... I hope
it dies an early death so that people can listen to stations more than 20
miles away again...

Yep, WBBM 780 Chicago (Yes, Eddy Wardo, I know that the transmitter is not
located IN Chicago) recently turned their IBOC back on wiping out my reception
of another station here in Michigan on 790 whose programs I liked on Saturday
mornings.

IBOC = QRM

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Up here, KSL (1160 Salt Lake City) HD obliterates KTLK (1150 Los
Angeles) for the hour or so every morning that the Sun is up in Utah
and yet to rise in SoCal.

I haven't been able to get any AM stations to get a digital lock on
the BA Recepter HD. I think it may have something to do with the 3
tower directional in the next canyon over.

Maybe your 790 will be digital some day.

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....30044&sHours=N

This is a major reason to never buy cheap radios.

Old February 23rd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Byung Myung Sying

I have the Yamaha IBOC receiver RX-V4600 as well as an automobile IBOC
radio. On FM here in Detroit, there are about a dozen stations
transmitting second "HD" programs which are of greater interest to me
than the "main" channel since the second channel programs offer music
choices that aren't particularly appealing to the huge radio
conglomerates (clasical, swing album-cut rock etc).

On AM, IBOC is very problematic because it doesn't really offer
anything to the AM broadcaster, and is of minimal use to the listener.
The fidelity is quite poor on the three IBOC AM stations that we have
here in Detroit. In addition, an EXTREMELY strong signal is required
to receive the IBOC "carrier" and as AM fades or experiences weakening
signals (such as going under a highway bridge), my car IBOC receiver
loses the "digital lock" and annoyingly reverts back to analogue.
Thus, the "promise" of distant stations being "cleanly received" in
digiital mode is not fulfillable using the IBOC system. I think that
the AM IBOC will fade quickly away. The FM IBOC does offer
substantial benefits for the listener due to the multicasting
possibilities.