Old March 3rd 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Realistic DX-302

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:54:43 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 23:23:05 UTC, "Lisa Simpson" wrote:

thank you!

Lisa,
I have been reading about your deal with the DX-302. If you like it,
then by all means get it and enjoy it! I am back again into old, and
I mean old, SW radios. Just picked up 2 Hallicrafters S-38's and am
restoring them, and trying to get an S-40. All of these radios are
tube"boatanchors" but I am no longer into "hunting DX" but rather
enjoy the warmth of the old-fashioned design and trying to snag
whatever I can on them. Enjoy your radio!
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

I used to have an S-40B that was quite the DX machine.

Old March 3rd 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

that's funny; I am also trying to get into the old tube radios. Turns out I
was destined to get into SWL; as a 2 month old baby, my parents were
building their own house in the hills of Vermont. It was in the middle of
one of those freaking cold snowy winters Vermont used to get. My Mother
used to listen to a tall, wooden, tube type SW receiver all the time. The
house caught fire & burned to below ground (I caught pneumonia according to
my Ma). She hasn't listened to SW since, mainly because she couldn't afford
another receiver, and of course she's not "into computers" now & has no idea
of things like ebay, etc. I just sent her up a portable receiver & a copy
of Monitoring Times. I am watching/bidding on a couple old wooden tube type
receivers on ebay in the hopes of "winning" one for not too much, getting it
fixed to back to working condition, & brining it up to her; sort of a trip
down memory lane/Mother's Day gift.

Old March 3rd 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a Hallicrafters (let me go look right quick,it's sittin on top of
a big old antique trunk in my dinnin room) S-38 EB Radio.It works ok,I
bought it for four dollars at one of the three Goodwill stores around
here a bunch of years ago.Them old,old,old Radios are the best Radios in
the World.Back in the 1940's,my older brother brought a Scott Shortwave
Radio home.I have been hooked (Larry Fluharty,you retired old buzzard in
Brookings,South Dakota,you messed up a few years ago when you asked
Gerry old woman if she threw them fish hooks out yet) every since then.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you was a two months old baby,you dont remember anything at that
age.I barely reckymember when I was three years old.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I nearly died of pnemonia when I was a year old,or so my mom used to
tell me.I have always had a heart murmor.How that got by the U.S.Army,I
dont know.
Larry Leonard,at Oregon Magazine www.oregonmag.com once emailed me
a few years ago about when he wanted to join the Air Force.The doc gave
him a thumbs down.Larry said he picked that doc up,,, the doc said,It
wouldn't matter,they would find out later on anyway.If ya get a
chance,check out Peg's Bottom at Oregon Magazine.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

nope, the earliest I remember is ~4 yrs. old. The story obviously comes
from my Mother . . .

Old March 4th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:51:28 UTC, David wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 07:44:46 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 04:31:07 UTC, "jon"
wrote:

Greetings! Where do you find your S-38s? Ebay I would guess. I have
been wanting to get a S-38D as I believe it was made circa 1954, the
year of my birth. I have always loved the glow of tube radios. Somehow
I managed to let all my tube shortwave radios slip away and am down to
MW and 11 meter tube radios. Where is the best place to get an S-38 on
the cheap? Have a great weekend! Jon in South Carolina.

Hello Jon,
I got the S-38B from a Hamfest in Ocala for $30. It was recapped, but
I am doing the physical cleaning and restoring. Another one, a C
model, I just posted on one of these groups and a guy in St. Cloud, FL
had one in all original condition for $80. They are easy restoration
projects as they are so simple. They have beautiful design, they were
designed by Raymond Lowey, who designed for Chrysler in the 30's and
early 40's and did the famous postwar Studebaker, that changed how
cars looked for generations.

Lafayette sold a Japanese version that actually is better built.

I know that the Japanese copied Hallicrafters, but does it have the
same design cabinet with the half-round dials?

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old March 4th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/org/la/kt200.htm