Old March 7th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Reno SWL's Please Help

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:35:56 -0800, running dogg wrote:

Teenagedeathboy wrote:

I'm an SWL in Reno, Nv and I can't seem to find anywhere other than
Radio Shack to purchase a good shortwave reciever. I've had a Grundig
YB400 for a couple of years now and I want to expand on my listening
post. Circuit City and other consumer electronics stores sell
mini-portables and such but those are not what I am looking for. A
porta-top or tabletop model like a Sattilite 800 or the new Eton E1
would be nice.... does anyone know where I can get these in Reno?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, you'll have to rely on ebay to get a SW radio these days.
The last ham radio store in Sacramento, a much bigger city, closed years
ago. The Ham Radio Outlet stores in the SF and LA areas now serve the
entire western US. Besides, buying a radio direct from China saves you a
ton of money. Look for liypn's V-COM-COLLECTIONS ebay store, you can
find Degens and Tecsuns there. Best is a tie between the Degen 1102 and
the 1103, it's really a matter of personal preference since they perform
about the same. If you truly want a tabletop, you can get used Icoms on
ebay for a few hundred bucks. Drakes get bid up too high. There are very
few tabletops being made new, and those that are cost $1500 or more. If
you want a tabletop, your best bet is to look for Icoms on ebay, search
for "Icom receiver". Some of the entries will show the radio on a red
velvet background, those are listings from Martyn who calls himself
radio-mart who is a fraudulent seller. Avoid radio-mart at all costs.

**** China.

Old March 7th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

David wrote:

**** China.

If someone does **** China, I hope it's not you. You'd give them all
hepatitis C.

Drug abusing bigot.

Old March 7th 06, 08:10 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenagedeathboy
does anyone know where I can get these in Reno?
Thanks.
If you're willing to consider mail order, Universal Radio sells refurbished Satellit 800s for $399 plus $15 shipping:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html

Also be aware of the recent Eton E1 recall for certain serial numbers:

http://www.etoncorp.com/US/corp/pres...sID=7&isNews=0
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old March 8th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

David wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:20:05 GMT, "W Page Pyne"

Las Vegas if its not too far away has an AES, Amateur Electronic Supply
which should stock a few receivers. Or see what the carry at www.aesham.com

Oakland is half the distance as Vegas. They have a Ham Radio Outlet.

http://www.hamradio.com/web/stores/oakland.html

http://www.hamradio.com/frames.shtml

Reno and Vegas are at opposite ends of Nevada. Even if he had to go to
the HRO in Sunnyvale (Silicon Valley) he'd still be a couple hundred
miles closer to Reno than if he went to Vegas. I wouldn't recommend
driving to the Bay Area in winter weather from Reno, especially going
over the mountains. It's been snowing for a week straight up there. It
would probably be easier to use ebay.

Old March 8th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Han

Hello

Whatever you want to buy , first try to listen to the the radio you
want to buy alongside the one you know.
Every radio i bought I first tried it out for several hours.
Is it logical to handle ?
do you like the sound ?
and so on. The looks you can get used to but the sound en feel is more
difficult to get used to.

I hope this helps a bit

Gretings
Han the netherlands

You can also visit my website:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/hanhardonk/indexengels.html

Old March 8th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 8 Mar 2006 06:04:59 -0800, "Han" wrote:

Hello

Whatever you want to buy , first try to listen to the the radio you
want to buy alongside the one you know.
Every radio i bought I first tried it out for several hours.
Is it logical to handle ?
do you like the sound ?
and so on. The looks you can get used to but the sound en feel is more
difficult to get used to.

I hope this helps a bit

Gretings
Han the netherlands

You can also visit my website:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/hanhardonk/indexengels.html

It's 212 miles from Reno to the nearest SWL store. Wild Wild West.

Old March 13th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Teenagedeathboy

I found one here in Reno . Serria Electronics Supply.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Old March 13th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 13 Mar 2006 10:49:31 -0800, "Teenagedeathboy"
wrote:

I found one here in Reno . Serria Electronics Supply.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Do they have a web page?

Old March 13th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Teenagedeathboy

http://www.sierraelectronics.com/

Old March 13th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Teenagedeathboy

I also found a place called Hutton communications

http://www.huttononline.com/huttononline/

but it seems they sell only uhf/ vhf radios and antennas