Old April 26th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
val58

Default Panasonic RF-5000 SW Reception Problem?

I have a Panasonic RF5000 and all the SW bands are dead. They only get
images from local FM stations. BUT........ yesterday when it was left on all
day on SW, when I returned home, the SW was working! Today, its been on an
hour, still nothing on SW bands. Touched all the parts with my hand, on the
inside, to see if it was something loose, and it's not that. Maybe a common
oscillator cap that goes bad? Appreciate any fixes. Please Post reply to
this group or email, thank you,
Rit. 4-26-06,

Old April 26th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

val58 wrote:
I have a Panasonic RF5000 and all the SW bands are dead. They only get
images from local FM stations. BUT........ yesterday when it was left on all
day on SW, when I returned home, the SW was working! Today, its been on an
hour, still nothing on SW bands. Touched all the parts with my hand, on the
inside, to see if it was something loose, and it's not that. Maybe a common
oscillator cap that goes bad? Appreciate any fixes. Please Post reply to
this group or email, thank you,
Rit. 4-26-06,

As a former owner of one of those wonderful receivers, my first guess
is to check the connections on that frame antenna. Next would be
crudded up band switches. Try a bit of non-lubricating tuner cleaner
on the contacts and see if the problem goes away.

Old April 28th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Black

what he said.

Also, you might suspect the SW local oscillator transistor, which is a
little round plastic disc with four leads coming out at right angles, every
90 degrees. I have fixed a couple of RF5000's where they were intermittent,
and when I removed the local osc transistor after deciding it was a problem,
it just fell apart.

Whatever you do, don't take that bandswitch apart!

John