Old May 27th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Telamon,

The old Road Trip where you could may be travel 75 to 150 Miles
while 'listening' to the same AM Radio Station will be a thing of
the past with IBOC.

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

Every 35-50 Miles will require a the selection of a new AM Radio
Station and tuning in the locals as you go.

This jus tis not true, as listening to the HD stations in LA and San Diego
will prove.

. IBOC should
greatly benefit local AM Radio Stations and actually cut into the
Coverage Area of the old time 50KW Clear Channels due to all
the Adjacent Channel Noise that IBOC will generate across the
Band.

Since none of the clear channel stations (with all caps, it is a company,
not a class) really cares about covedring much else than the local metro
area and immediate fringe area, this will not affect anyone. Probably 95% of
the revenue of these, and all AMs, is generated in the daylight hours and
inside the primary groundwave contour.

Old May 27th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved or
not?

Frank Dresser

Old May 27th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

Old May 27th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 27th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

Old May 27th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

David Frackelton Gleason aka Eduardo the fake Hispanic from Cleveland wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one.

That's debatable. If I recall correctly, I've heard some of the stuff you claim
to be responsible for and it sucks.

I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

There's nothing 'free' about the IBOC QRM destroying two adjacent channels.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 27th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

And QRM the adjacent channels to boot. Such a deal for you bean

counters.

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

If you mean "die as we know it", well, that's always happening. The radio
of 1966 is dead, as is the radio of 1926. Big deal. If nighttime IBOC AM
somehow timecapsules the radio of 2006, it's hardly worth it.

The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

Most podcasting is free, unless you count the cost of the internet
connection. However, downloaders would have the internet connection anyway,
so there's no additional cost.

I can see how the internet might cut into the radio establishment's profits.

Frank Dresser

Old May 28th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.
The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

So, digital modulation is an attempt to extend the life of commericial
radio. Will digital modulation always remain free?

Frank Dresser

Old May 27th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

Where will these new found listeners come from? I've gotten the impression
just about nobody is listening to the radio during the night.

Frank Dresser

Old May 27th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

Most listening is NOT to AM anymore. Why not accept tha tthis may be
an
opportunity to make AM move viable for the future?

[snip]

So, how does the future of AM radio differ if nighttime IBOC is
approved
or
not?

The quality is vastly better and can attract listeners for a change.

Where will these new found listeners come from? I've gotten the
impression
just about nobody is listening to the radio during the night.

AM underindexes FM at night. In other words, a higher percentage of night
listening is to FM than in the daytime. Part of this is the night
interference on most AM channels,a nd the additional interference coming
from home electronics. HD at night would give AM the ability to compete
better at night by those stations with decent signals, which leaves out
about 75% of all AMs anyway.