Old July 1st 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Why listen to shortwave when you can use the internet to listen

Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

Old July 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Merlin3rd wrote:
Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

Do you have the URL for the Coast Guard frequencies?

Old July 1st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Merlin3rd wrote:

Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

Yada, yada, yada. We already knew that so you'd best be running along.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 1st 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Merlin3rd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

shortwave plus dipole = $200

ten years of internet access = $1000

Gravity

Old July 1st 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"Merlin3rd" wrote:

Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

It's not dead. Everyone knows about streaming audio on the web, big
deal. Go Troll someplace else.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 1st 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Merlin3rd wrote:
If you can read this ..... Then you can listen on the internet....
DAH... receive internet radio. Douche bag!
gravity wrote:
"Merlin3rd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

shortwave plus dipole = $200

ten years of internet access = $1000

Gravity

What's the URL for Gander radio?

Old July 1st 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Merlin3rd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

Just been around 5 European countries. No internet in hotel rooms so
listened to BBC WS on my Sony 2001D.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old July 1st 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"Merlin3rd" wrote:

Shortwave is DEAD. Use your computer to listen to a vast arrray of
radio broadcasts from anywhere in the world. No radio, no antenna, no
static. Shortwave broadcasting is old tech, dying fast.

It's not dead. Everyone knows about streaming audio on the web, big
deal. Go Troll someplace else.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

The Future Of Radio
Exploring the future of radio and wireless technologies. Edited by
Harry Helms
May 12, 2006

Shortwave Broadcasting Meets Reality

"The era of shortwave radio broadcasting is surely, inexorably drawing
to a close. Even that starstruck eleven year old boy inside me-----the

one enthralled by shortwave radio almost 43 years ago----can see that."

"With the huge decline in tropical stations, DRM splatter in other
areas, religious broadcasters appearing in the 60-90 meter bands,
relays...it is just not the same for me anymore. However, I have
wonderful memories from those years that will never be forgotten."

"Voice of the Andes' Airs Final English Broadcast on SW".

"About 13 years ago, one of our HighText/LLH employees joined the Peace

Corps and was going to be posted to Botswana. My going-away present to

her was a Grundig portable shortwave radio with digital tuning. I even

pre-programmed it with frequencies for the VOA, BBC, Radio South
Africa, etc. In a letter, I asked her how she was enjoying listening
to shortwave. Her reply was a sheepish admission that she never
listened to shortwave; there was too much fading, interference, and the

audio was awful. Instead, she preferred listening to AM and FM, and had

good reception of the local VOA and BBC relays as well as South African

AM stations, especially in the evenings. I don't think her story is
unique, even among the permanent residents of Botswana and other areas
that we supposedly need to serve by shortwave."

"The decline even from a decade ago is remarkable, and from two decades

ago it is shocking (check through an old copy of World Radio Television

Handbook if you doubt this). There was a time when the 4700 to 5000
kHz range would be filled with broadcasters from Central and South
America in the evening hours, African broadcasters in late afternoons
and after midnight, and with Pacific and Indonesian stations around
dawn. Now you hear more background noise and utility stations in that
range than regional and national broadcasters. And where have those
listeners gone? Mostly to recently-opened stations on AM and
(especially) FM."

Remember folks - "keep thinking positively about your Eaton **** E1s" !