Old July 24th 06, 07:41 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Default a longwave thread

I just joined Digital Spy forums a few days ago, and there seems to be an issue with longwave threads in the broadcast forum being shut down by moderators. So I thought I'd try starting a longwave thread here.

Sounds like the Isle of Man might have a commercial longwave broadcaster in the near future. I was surprised to hear from other forum users there that cars in Europe have longwave reception in their radios. It must be decades since that happened here in the USA.

Anyone have interesting longwave topics to discuss?
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old July 24th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
weatherall wrote:

I just joined Digital Spy forums a few days ago, and there seems to be
an issue with longwave threads in the broadcast forum being shut down
by moderators. So I thought I'd try starting a longwave thread here.

Sounds like the Isle of Man might have a commercial longwave
broadcaster in the near future. I was surprised to hear from other
forum users there that cars in Europe have longwave reception in their
radios. It must be decades since that happened here in the USA.

Anyone have interesting longwave topics to discuss?

Europe has commercial broadcasters on the long wave band. I don't think
the long wave has ever had licensed stations in the Americas.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 27th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

weatherall wrote:
I just joined Digital Spy forums a few days ago, and there seems to be
an issue with longwave threads in the broadcast forum being shut down
by moderators. So I thought I'd try starting a longwave thread here.

Sounds like the Isle of Man might have a commercial longwave
broadcaster in the near future. I was surprised to hear from other
forum users there that cars in Europe have longwave reception in their
radios. It must be decades since that happened here in the USA.

Anyone have interesting longwave topics to discuss?

Keep listening. In North America there isn't much on Long Wave except a
few aviation navigation beacons. And every year, there are fewer and
fewer of them. You may hear a few differential GPS broadcasts.
However, the best time to listen is in the winter months early in the
morning before sunrise. Then you stand a pretty good chance of hearing
the LW broadcasts from Europe.
Old July 27th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Keep listening. In North America there isn't much on Long Wave except a
few aviation navigation beacons. And every year, there are fewer and
fewer of them. You may hear a few differential GPS broadcasts.
However, the best time to listen is in the winter months early in the
morning before sunrise. Then you stand a pretty good chance of hearing
the LW broadcasts from Europe.

Which ones are most likely to be heard? What would be a reasonable
antenna for longwave? I've never heard anything but beacons on LW, but
I do like the hunt for them.

Old July 28th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Which ones are most likely to be heard? What would be a reasonable
antenna for longwave? I've never heard anything but beacons on LW, but
I do like the hunt for them.

There are some web sites dedicated to hunting and identifying
Non-Directional Beacons (NDBs). This is one I like:

http://mare.radio.tripod.com/4ute.html

Also look in to

http://www.lwca.org/

Most NDBs are pretty dull listening. A very few broadcast AWOS and ASOS
weather from the airports where they're located. But that's about it.
I'd be more excited about transatlantic LW reception...

DE AB3A