Old December 16th 03, 05:14 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

The first authentic use of 73 is in the publication The National Telegraphic
Review and Operators' Guide, first published in April 1857. Keep in mind it
started with telegraphic code use. Number codes were used by telegraphers
for common phrases.
These abbreviations were used in a manner similar to Q signals today.

Here's a partial list of old telegraphic number abbreviations: 1 – Wait 2 -
Important business 3 - What is the time? 6 - I am ready 7 - Are you ready?
12 - Do you understand? 13 - I understand 14 - What is the weather? 17 -
Lightning here 19 - Form 19 train order (used by RR) 21 - Stop to eat 23 -
All copy 24 - Repeat this back 30 - No more, end 31 - Form 31 train order
(used by RR) 44 - Answer promptly by wire 73 - Best regards 88 - Love and
kisses 92 - Deliver promptly 134 - Who is at the key?

For the History of 73 see URL:
http://ac6v.com/73.htm#73

It then becomes apparent that it is 73 NOT 73's, but many say 73's and
everyone knows what is meant.

HANDLE has been used by Hams for many many years (more recently by CBers) --
See
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus
And see that handle is synonymous with NAME and NICKNAME
Maybe from the old west -- Whatts yore handle podner ???
But on VHF -- many advise -- talk like you talk on a telephone -- NAME HERE
IS
But since so many hams use handle -- it is an accepted ham jargon term.

As is lots of others -- brick, bird, bug, cans, twisted pair, roger,
wallpaper, uncle Charlie, wilco, and lots more at URL:
http://ac6v.com/jargon.htm

The FIRST PERSONAL is a recent invasion on the Ham bands and comes from CB
Radio. Makes old time Hams shudder.

All told -- various disciplines have their own jargon and it is best to be
familiar with them and don't fight it -- you won't change it for sure.

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old December 17th 03, 03:40 AM
Mike Coslo

hillbilly3302 wrote:

well Marty old habits are hard to break.... more than half the Hams out
there were x-CB'ers. nothing wrong with that. they will get it right
as time goes by.... I've been a HAM for 36 years and started in CB....
I think the proper term for that is two words. "seven three" no "s"

It seems a little odd for people to get stuffy about 73 vs 73's, when
both are designed for Morse CW.

If you are speaking, neither is "correct".

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 19th 03, 01:53 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:48:40 GMT, "Marty B."
wrote:

73 OR 73`ss IN AMATEUR RADIO WE SHOULD USE 73 .

WHY, old man??

Same pointless nit-picking we have all heard until the point that
it is a DEAD HORSE That you are beating!

I HEAR PEOPLW ASK ME WHAT MY HANDLE IS ...HUH ?
IS THIS A CB LINGO ??

NO, OM, we hams have used the term "HANDLE" since way back
before there was anything called "Citizens Band."
Maybe you haven't been around as a radio amateur as long
as some of us!

I DO HAVE A NAME NOT A HANDLE....

Right. SOME people choose to have a "handle" too, as in "nick name."

I have one. The term handle is not as popular as it used to be among
hams but I still hear it frequently and I don't object. Why would I?
It's part of our LORE from way back!

In case you haven't listened in a few years, CBers often
say "personal" instead of "name" or "handle" these days.
They used "handle" back in the 1970s trucker CB craze days.
You may need to catch up a little, hi hi!

Oops!! You are probably offended by ham abbrevaitions
like "hi hi" too! ROTFLMAOAU!

WHAT does this have to do with trading radios? Zero.
Please move the thread where it belongs in:
rec.radio.who.cares

Lighten up a little puhleez!

73s to you and your family, old timer!

Old December 19th 03, 01:54 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:15:05 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

Nor, for that matter, are the Q-codes. Wasn't there a time when they were
not even allowed on phone comms??

Untrue.

Some of the grumblers might try to have you THINK that though!
There has always been a LOT of freedom of speech on the airwaves for
U.S. radio amateurs compared to other countries which used to have
some MAJOR restrictions on topics too.

Old December 19th 03, 01:55 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:33:33 GMT, "ergo" wrote:

It is seventy-thirds
70/3
Because 23.333333333333333333333333 is the value of pi times the square root
of the ohms plus the amps.

my handle is my wifes business not yours

Ha ha ha ha! GREAT response, and makes as much sense as
the message that STARTED this thread!

LOL!

Old December 19th 03, 01:57 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:48:12 GMT, "
wrote:

Blame it on my mother who insisted on reading Caucer to by
defenseless brother and me.

Paul AB0SI

Did Chaucer also refer to HIS brother as "BY BROTHER?"

: - ))

Old December 19th 03, 01:58 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:05:38 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

In looking back at old ham publications from the early 60's, as well as
license guides with operating techniques explained, I have seen the
reference to "handle" as appropriate terminology, well before the CB influx.

Of course this is correct.
To suggest otherwise reveals the ignorance of the writer.
An innocent enough mistake, but just brought about by their lack of
experience in this grand ol' avocation!

Old December 19th 03, 01:59 AM
AF Four Kilo

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:20:04 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
wrote:

In article
"Marty B." wrote:

Good question and one many should have asked before. It is 73 meaning
basically "best wishes." You wouldn't say "best wishesssssss" in the
plural when it's already plural to begin with. It actually came about
from old railroaders that like the rhythmn of the dits and dahs.

You are not reading the thread, are you!