Old September 21st 06, 01:10 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

Of course, if you're not "into" ham radio - you'd never know that - would
you? Cell phones have their limits too. Just as FRS, and others. ALL modes
have "limits". AND this is not to say I'm "pro" code. I learned it for my
licenses, I listen to it and use it once in a while but not as much as some
and a tad more than many. It isn't all about the "code". That hasn't kept
the ass holes from invading the airwaves. Don't knock something you've never
tried. There is more to it than "just" talking. But, like choosing a "Cell
phone" for features - be it video, internet, etc. - aside from "just"
talking - ham has many choices too. If you don't like one mode - you try
another. Some buy cells "just" for emergencies, while others buy them for
all the reasons and effects they can offer. IT IS A MATTER OF PERSONAL
TASTE. Cells are the "current" fad just as Ham was to many of you who have
never bothered to jump in. Some day Cells will be a thing of the past as
well. Like Ham, Cell is NOT the answer to all of life's problems. I've seen
THEM fail too when needed most.

"dave" cmrbison wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone still "do" ham? There are cell phones, 15 mile range 2 ways,
satellite phones...............

Why would anyone want to take a test to communicate? with Star Trek
convention grade people??

"Slow Code" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just thought you should know that.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Markie to save
usenet. Thanks

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Barry OGrady wrote in
:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:29:02 -0700, "dave" cmrbison wrote:

Does anyone still "do" ham? There are cell phones, 15 mile range 2
ways, satellite phones...............

Why would anyone want to take a test to communicate? with Star Trek
convention grade people??

For that matter why would anyone learn how to avoid top posting?

I passed my "ham" test in 1979 and now that the code requirement has
been completely removed for amateur radio I have full access to all
bands, but I never get on the air.

You aren't smart enough to turn a radio on? Bummer.

SC
Old September 23rd 06, 11:43 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Exactly...............oops I top posted again.

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:29:02 -0700, "dave" cmrbison wrote:

Does anyone still "do" ham? There are cell phones, 15 mile range 2 ways,
satellite phones...............

Why would anyone want to take a test to communicate? with Star Trek
convention grade people??

For that matter why would anyone learn how to avoid top posting?

I passed my "ham" test in 1979 and now that the code requirement has been
completely removed for amateur radio I have full access to all bands, but
I never
get on the air.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
link.net...
Just thought you should know that.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Markie to save
usenet. Thanks

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test. Slow Code Scanner 119 June 9th 07 01:19 AM
Canada want to drop the code! Hamguy Swap 65 May 5th 05 02:31 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine Shortwave 185 January 6th 04 06:05 PM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine General 206 January 6th 04 01:12 PM