Old September 2nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default WHAT'S IT MADE FROM ???

I got a tube of GB Ox-Gard OX-100 to coat the sections of my Butternut HF9V
vertical as I assemble it. I looked on both the tube, the packaging, and the GB
website, but none of them indicate whether the product is silicone grease based
or petroleum grease based. Does anyone out there know ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old September 2nd 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Owen Duffy wrote:

I got a tube of GB Ox-Gard OX-100 to coat the sections of my Butternut HF9V
vertical as I assemble it. I looked on both the tube, the packaging, and the GB
website, but none of them indicate whether the product is silicone grease based
or petroleum grease based. Does anyone out there know ???

In this country, there is regulation that requires availability of a
Material Safety Data Sheet (which contains such information), and they
are on a public web site. Perhaps you have similar arrangements in
your jurisdiction.

I just located an MSDS for Ox-Gard via a web search, and it's quite
unrevealing. It doesn't identify the ingredients except to say that
they're non-toxic, and it doesn't identify a flash point. It did say
that combustion could release CO2 and aldehydes.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 2nd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:23:23 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:56:26 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:38:34 GMT, (Ron in
NY) wrote:

I got a tube of GB Ox-Gard OX-100 to coat the sections of my Butternut HF9V
vertical as I assemble it. I looked on both the tube, the packaging, and the GB
website, but none of them indicate whether the product is silicone grease based
or petroleum grease based. Does anyone out there know ???

In this country, there is regulation that requires availability of a
Material Safety Data Sheet (which contains such information), and they
are on a public web site. Perhaps you have similar arrangements in
your jurisdiction.

Hi Owen,

That information has been considered a secret that is vital to the
interests of the United States of the Republican Party and is on the
list of items not allowed on board airplanes, nor to be transported by
skateboard across the border of any state contiguously bordering
Texas, except Venezuela. Those Data Sheets have been removed from the
public archive by the CIA so as to eliminate any possibility of this
newly classified material falling into the hands of terrorists.

Don't ask us about toothpaste or the FBI's network monitoring will
kick into mauve alert level.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

What I didn't add, was that you may need to be a chemist to work out
what the components are, or to use Dave's hints and work out what is
in it that produces those combustion products.

I was just chatting with a friend who lugged his 2m gear up on a
mountain top here in the national capital to work some AE DX.

A newspaper reporter noticed him and came back with camera to do a
story. I don't know if the public will understand that although he is
using directional apparatus to bound electromagnetic radiation off
passenger aircraft, that it is truly safe for all involved.

Wait a minute, no one has been able to prove radio frequency EM
radiation to be safe, have they?

Owen

Old September 2nd 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:
It did say that combustion could release CO2 ...

Al Gore will get you for that!
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old September 2nd 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Dave Platt wrote:
It did say that combustion could release CO2 ...

Al Gore will get you for that!
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

My cousin is a Dairy Farmer in PA.
His cows produce more CO2 per hour
than three GMC Pickup trucks running
at idle for the same time period. Wonder how
Mr Goore would address this problem?
Diapers for cows perhaps? (grin)

Back on topic however, when you get back to the office
next week, just place a call to the mfgr of the product and
ask him to FAX or e-mail you a .pdf file copy of the
Product MSDS sheet. Tell them you're using it at your place
of employment for anti-corrosion usages for commercial
antenna installations and your ISO:9000-2000 Internal
Quality Procedures Manual mandates that all products have
an MSDS sheet on file. I use this 'method' all the time and
it seems to work. : )

Old September 2nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Soak a bit up with a piece of paper or cardboard and light it with a
match, and you'll have the answer in seconds. Petroleum based grease
will burn like crazy but silicone based grease won't.

But why do you need to know?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old September 2nd 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave Platt wrote:

It did say that combustion could release CO2 ...

Al Gore will get you for that!

Yeah! The Almighty Politicians!

Everytime I exhale [CO2 and H2O vapor] I raise the CO2 polution level. We simply
have to pass a law outlawing exhaling without using a catalytic converter.

Old September 2nd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mr. Presumptive wrote:
My cousin is a Dairy Farmer in PA.
His cows produce more CO2 per hour
than three GMC Pickup trucks running
at idle for the same time period. Wonder how
Mr Goore would address this problem?
Diapers for cows perhaps? (grin)

The Space Shuttle is equipped with CO2 scrubbers.
Just install one per cow.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp