Old May 10th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MIME type for .EZ files?

Cecil Moore wrote:

Maybe the moral is not to choose a Microsoft server? :-)

I would hope that if an extension is registered with IANA and mime typed
that microchit would provide a timely update to inform it's servers how
to process it. There have been instances in the past of incorrectly
handled mime types able to carry/load malware onto ones' system (JPEG
files being exploited, one example.) Probably the cause of microchits
paranoia over mime types ...

However, windows can be told how to handle a specific mime type
(extension) to where when one clicks upon it on a web site the program
to handle it (open?) is automatically invoked and the file ends up being
opened by the proper application. (an installer for the original
program can edit the registry to accomplish this also--something Roy may
wish to do in the future.)

This page gives a hint on how to do some of the above:

http://filext.com/faq/manage_file_extensions.php

I have no allegiance to either windows or linux ... if you are a linux
guru--linux is great. If you are something less and you are free and
fast with using your computer, you probably will end up with a root kit
on your system and someone recording every key stroke you make and with
your system violated. Linux takes for granted you are a
state-of-the-art user--microchit attempts to "mother you" and keep you
protected from the boogey man ... it just does a rather poor job of it
.... I use a dual boot system ...

Regards,
JS
Old May 11th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

John - KD5YI wrote:
I suspect the second link above does not actually exist. My browser
says "The page cannot be found" which has nothing to do with the file
type (.ez).

Seems it has everything to do with file type .EZ since
every other extension works just fine. If I simply change
the coil505.EZ extension to coil505.bin and leave the file
just as it is, everything works fine. Try it for yourself.

http://w5dxp.com/coil505.bin

The server is reporting that the .EZ file cannot be found even
though it actually exists on the server. It's the Microsoft
server that has the problem. The Linux server works just
fine. Apparently, the Microsoft server doesn't recognize
.EZ as a valid file type. If I ZIP the .EZ file, it also
handles it just fine.

Coming in late on this one again. The question was raised about Windows
vs linux servers. Like just about anything Windows based, there is
"always something" requiring a big workaround, or even if it is something
that the server *will* handle, there is always something that you have to
do to get it to work right.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA, happily administering an OSX server that just
chugs away -

...But willing to concede the superiority of all things Windows, as
long as I don't have to use them.... ;^)

Old May 11th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote in news:a8Q%h.7406$2v1.2345
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

as the solution gets implemented. Are we going to
ask everyone to rename antenna.bin to antenna.ez
before they can use it with EZNEC? Why does qsl.net
handle .EZ files properly and 1and1.com doesn't?
As a simple user, this should NOT be my problem.

Your server folks need to get their act together and perform the
appropriate workaraound (I assume that the need for mime type of a file is
some sort of security thing) Time to switch to another server.

Some outfits get so hung up on what they think is security thst they
punish the good folk. I belonged to a list that onetime rejected a post I
made because it contained the word "link" in it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 11th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:51:44 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote in news:a8Q%h.7406$2v1.2345
:

as the solution gets implemented. Are we going to
ask everyone to rename antenna.bin to antenna.ez
before they can use it with EZNEC? Why does qsl.net
handle .EZ files properly and 1and1.com doesn't?
As a simple user, this should NOT be my problem.

Your server folks need to get their act together and perform the
appropriate workaraound (I assume that the need for mime type of a file is
some sort of security thing) Time to switch to another server.

Some outfits get so hung up on what they think is security thst they
punish the good folk. I belonged to a list that onetime rejected a post I
made because it contained the word "link" in it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, Mike, before you fly completely off the handle, 1and1 offers
their customers a choice of Mickysoft's server or Linux. Cecil chose
Micksoft. I also use 1and1 as my HSP and chose Linux. Cecil had
problems I didn't.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Old May 11th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:14:19 -0700, Danny Richardson
wrote:

Cecil had problems I didn't.

Anyone who has worked in software will tell you:
"They aren't problems,
they are undocumented features."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 11th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Richard Clark
writes
wrote:

Cecil had problems I didn't.

Anyone who has worked in software will tell you:
"They aren't problems,
they are undocumented features."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Management says that 'There are no problems - there are only
opportunities.'
Ian.

Old May 12th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Cecil had problems I didn't.

Anyone who has worked in software will tell you:
"They aren't problems,
they are undocumented features."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

And Microsoft has lots more of them than anyone else.

After reading some of the stories from the inside of the "engineering"
of Windows products, it's not surprising.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 13th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tom Ring wrote in news:46451474$0$21260$39cecf19
@news.twtelecom.net:

wrote:

Cecil had problems I didn't.

Anyone who has worked in software will tell you:
"They aren't problems,
they are undocumented features."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

And Microsoft has lots more of them than anyone else.

After reading some of the stories from the inside of the "engineering"
of Windows products, it's not surprising.

One of the coolest undocumented Windows features I've ever seen was
about 2 weeks ago when I updated my Gateway pivot monitor software, my
monitor quit working correctly (it actually went to some bizzare upside
down mode and at only one resolution) but to top it off, my Visual Studio
quit working.

Hats off to a system that can perform that little trick.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 13th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote in
:

Management says that 'There are no problems - there are only
opportunities.'

It keeps computer support people in jobs.....

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 13th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Danny Richardson wrote in
:

Mike, Mike, before you fly completely off the handle, 1and1 offers
their customers a choice of Mickysoft's server or Linux. Cecil chose
Micksoft. I also use 1and1 as my HSP and chose Linux. Cecil had
problems I didn't.

I thought I raised that point in another post regarding my son's ISP. Once
he switched from Windows server to Linux, his problems went away.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

csv files labtech_one Shortwave 3 April 26th 07 12:02 PM
FA: Amplex Model "C" Tube Type Radio - Antique Type - Quite Old !LP Swap 0 October 9th 04 08:58 PM
New Files David Fuller Scanner 0 March 1st 04 06:13 AM
Pro 92 SPG files rjj Scanner 1 January 6th 04 03:26 PM
.EZ files to .N4W files conversion Martin Antenna 1 August 11th 03 12:01 AM